Mothering Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
of baby Cereal? I always made my own "real" food for dd's, but also gave them cereal as a first food. Is my 3rd DD going to miss out on something, if I don't give her the cereal? Anyone know of a healthier brand than GERBER? Is there an organic one, or is that even worth it? What to start her out on then? I also didn't BF my first 2, but am DD now, so I'm wondering if that makes a difference regarding foods.

·
Premium Member
9,388 Posts
Baby cereal TASTES like cardboard. It became a suggested first food for babies early on in the formula-feeding days, because nobody had yet figured out how to get absorbable iron into baby formula. So they routinely recommended fortified cereal, so that the formula-fed babies would get enough iron. A breastfed baby shouldn't have any trouble getting enough iron.<br><br>
If you choose to give cereal, however, Earth's Best and Healthy Times both make whole-grain, organic baby cereals. My DD actually kinda liked them occasionally, so I did use them, only I mixed them with fruit because they taste TERRIBLE in my opinion.<br><br>
My favorite first foods are banana, sweet potato, and pureed pears. Some people recommend avocado, but my DD never liked it.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your advice!! I guess I worry b/c I know I have low iron and struggle with maintaining a healthy diet (hence, worry about the richness of my breast milk). I may try some of the cereals you suggested, but I know avocado is very rich in nutrients, as are some of the other things you suggested.<br>
Thanks.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts