Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
I was diagnosed with diabetes about three years ago. Diet didn't help, meds didn't help, nothing seemed to help. Since that time they have continuely increased my meds to the point that I am currently taking 2000 mg metromin and 10 mg glyburide each day. I also take meds for high blood pressure and my doctor recently perscribed meds for high cholesteral. It was at that point, (when she perscribed yet another med,) that I decided I really had to take control of my life. I decided to go veggie to get in better health. In the last three weeks my blood sugar levels have been normal for the first time in years. I have never, since I've been testing, had numbers below 140. Now my numbers are between 95 and 130. Usually somewhere in the 110's. I gave up all fast food and started eating as much whole food as possible. It's been a struggle with my meat eating husband and child. But I've been determined. I feel like maybe, just maybe I might be able to get off all the meds. I never did take the cholesteral meds. I want to see if the diet will help before I start taking it. So far I have faith that it will. Better eating does work. I've been on every diet there is and nothing worked for more than a few days. After years of weighing around 300 pounds, I feel like I have a chance to get better. I'm not focusing on weight lose at this point. Just learning how to eat better healthier food. And I'm finding it works. And I'm not craving the sugar and sweets. This stuff is for real.

Kathi

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
The book, The China Study, also cites multiple studies that verify that a strict vegetarian diet with whole foods has amazing benefits for both type 1 and 2 diabetics. It seems that dairy, among other animal products, is particularly bad for diabetics.

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
One of the things that always amazed me was that on the days I went to Dunkin Donuts for a latte, my blood sugar would go way up. I wasn't eating donuts or anything like that, just a latte. But it was the milk in the latte that was raising my blood sugar. I still use a bit of milk in cooking and I use cheese and yogurt, but they don't affect my blood sugar. Just plain milk.

Kathi

·
Registered
11,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dakota's Mom
I was diagnosed with diabetes about three years ago. Diet didn't help, meds didn't help, nothing seemed to help. Since that time they have continuely increased my meds to the point that I am currently taking 2000 mg metromin and 10 mg glyburide each day. I also take meds for high blood pressure and my doctor recently perscribed meds for high cholesteral. It was at that point, (when she perscribed yet another med,) that I decided I really had to take control of my life. I decided to go veggie to get in better health. In the last three weeks my blood sugar levels have been normal for the first time in years. I have never, since I've been testing, had numbers below 140. Now my numbers are between 95 and 130. Usually somewhere in the 110's. I gave up all fast food and started eating as much whole food as possible. It's been a struggle with my meat eating husband and child. But I've been determined. I feel like maybe, just maybe I might be able to get off all the meds. I never did take the cholesteral meds. I want to see if the diet will help before I start taking it. So far I have faith that it will. Better eating does work. I've been on every diet there is and nothing worked for more than a few days. After years of weighing around 300 pounds, I feel like I have a chance to get better. I'm not focusing on weight lose at this point. Just learning how to eat better healthier food. And I'm finding it works. And I'm not craving the sugar and sweets. This stuff is for real.

Kathi
Awesome Mama!!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts