Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone sell their products at craft fairs? This coming Saturday is my first time selling at a flea market and I'm looking for advice in making it a successful event.

·
Registered
4,977 Posts
I sell at a farmer's market Saturdays during the summer and holiday sales in the winter.

I bet you learned a lot just doing your first market, I know I did... but I'll throw out somethings I've learned just to add my .02.

Practice your set up, both table display and canopy. See if you can get it to take about 30 minutes. Longer than that will start to feel like a real PITA real fast.

At the market, stand instead of sit unless there are absolutely no customers in sight. Even then, bring something to look busy with.

Have samples to give out or things to try, it gives you an opening line to begin chatting with customers and gets them to pause and look over your table.

Don't stand behind your table and talk to someone else when customers are shopping. It sounds like common sense but I can't tell you how many times I've seen people chat away and ignore customers. Always give a hello or smile even if you are in the middle of helping someone else.

Do not speak to other vendors about the customers or about other vendors unless it is to say something nice. Some of those customers are other vendors, their friends or members of their family. Had a close call with that one, heh heh. Some customers are real characters and you'll be tempted to chat about them... wait til you get home!

Try to get set up early enough that you can go around and introduce yourself to the other vendors. Starting off on the right foot goes a long way, you'll have to deal with these people all season so best to make a positive impression.

Try not to buy while you are at the market. It's all too easy to take a big bite out of your sales buying up other goodies, lol.

If you can, bring a helper so you can take a quick break to grab a bite or use the restroom. If it is slow usually a neighbor will keep an eye on your table but hopefully it will be busy!

Have a guest book on your table so customers can sign up for email specials and notifications of upcoming events.

This may or may not apply depending on what you sell but - Hide the samples when a group of preteen girls comes to your table. They are going to trash them. The girls are cute and fun and they don't mean to but... just hide them. LOL I have "try me" samples behind the table I bring out as needed.

Bring lots of water to drink and snacks to nibble on, nothing that will give you bad breath though! Oh, and do not chew gum.

Hm, guess that is enough, eh! Hope you had fun and sold tons!

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, it was awful. But to be fair, it was so hot that even the experienced sellers were barely selling anything. I ended up leaving early since I was actually starting to get sick from the heat!

Next time, I'll take the weather more seriously and be a little more prepared.

Velcromom, thanks for the tips. I want to try a smaller craft fair sometime soon, and will put your advice to work.

In the meantime, I have gotten set up for selling through a craft web site (feel free to pm me for the site!) and listed on craigslist. I'm trying to get up my nerve to go to some consignment boutiques tomorrow to sell there.

All my jobs in the past have been working for companies. Seldom challenging, never fulfilling. I've thought about this for years and really want to make this happen. I want to sell beautiful products (that I would buy myself) at a reasonable price.

Keep the advice coming, ladies!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts