Mothering Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I slept skin to skin when my daughter was a newborn. She wore a diaper and hat and I just wore pj bottoms. It really helped with bonding and kept her relaxed. She nursed when she needed to and kept warm due to being skin to skin. I did this for only the first few weeks and stopped around 2 months. I have done it since when she isn't feeling well (teething issues and a couple of fevers) and still really enjoys it. She is not a really cuddly type baby but tends to cuddle more when we are skin to skin.

Should I continue doing it? My family practice doctor is a huge supporter of this and highly encourages me to continue. I was just curious how many mothers sleep this way and/or continue to do it when the baby is older?

By the way, my dd is almost 5 months old.

·
Registered
546 Posts
I think its great if you are your LO are comfortable sleeping that way, and I see no reason why you should stop.

My DD is not that cuddly so no we dont sleep skin to skin. But if we could it would be nice.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Yes, you should continue! As long as you and DD enjoy doing it, keep it up for as long as you both want. 18 mo DD and I still do it! As she has gotten older, we tend to start some naps this way. I have found this technique especially beneficial if DD is teething or has a cold. Taking a bath or shower together is another great way to achieve that skin-to-skin contact.

·
Premium Member
1,620 Posts
I already sleep sans jammies, sometimes in undies, sometimes not. I don't plan to change that when I have kiddos and I guess we'll just keep doing that as long as it works for us

So I'd say the same to you. Do it as long as it works, is comfy, and enjoyable for you both.
I've known mamas who opt to wear a shirt to hide boobs for nightweaning and or wear undies after they've woken to discover a foot in their crotch or whatever
Everybody does what works for them and babe...

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
I would love to do this, but I get too cold at night. I have two shirts and blankets now and I'm still cold, even with the heat on 68. We'll be trying it this summer though and DD will be about 7 months then.

·
Premium Member
10,793 Posts
Great if you and LO are comfy with it. But its not for me. Too cold! Its -14 with the windchill this morning.
: In the summer, I get too hot and sweaty.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Poking my head in here to say- my toddler still sleeps skin-to-skin with mama. (well, upper half, anyway) We both sleep better this way.

·
Registered
27,052 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Crystal_R View Post
I would love to do this, but I get too cold at night. I have two shirts and blankets now and I'm still cold, even with the heat on 68. We'll be trying it this summer though and DD will be about 7 months then.
Have you tried it though? I've found myself needing to put a layer between us to help stay cool.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
I sleep in nothing but my skin (so does DH) but DS does sleep in light jammies as it is really cold in our house and he spends most of the night not between us but in the crib part of our side cared crib (I am usually half in it too) So I don't want him getting cold, he will snuggle up to me if he gets to cold and recently has started to latch on by himself to have s drink
I woke up a few times to him nursing.

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
I wear a t-shirt to bed and dd wears footie pj's, but I keep one boob uncovered pretty much all night and dd frequently uses that boob as a pillow. So we're often partially skin to skin.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by KristyDi View Post
I wear a t-shirt to bed and dd wears footie pj's, but I keep one boob uncovered pretty much all night and dd frequently uses that boob as a pillow. So we're often partially skin to skin.
Ah yes the boob pillow is popular in this house too
I often joke with DH that I wish I could take my boob off to leave it with DS to cuddle...I know creepy image

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.