Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey ladies! I've got an 8 month old DD who's currently in cloth diapers. I don't feel like I'm ready to start ECing now but was thinking about buying Diaper Free and reading it to prepare to start trying it later, maybe 15-18 months or so?? I know a few EC mommas IRL and one started at 14 months but was wondering if anyone else here has started that late or used EC as a kind of early potty learning?? TIA!

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
i agree Why wait?
we started around one year
and had some success, then i traveled around for a month and stayed with some stressful relatives for a while, and by the time i got home we both fell ill b/c of the stress.....winter came and it was harder to get her to the potty in time due to all the clothes
and i lost a lot of energy with my long illness
long story short...we kind of dropped off till spring(she was 18 months and we took about 4 months off from ec)
then it was way too obvious and she woul dnto have it any other way...
i had not read anything about ec, i just kind of new people did it

i wish i woudl have none more about it, adn would have stayed with it....
i had a hard time with dd and her emotions that winter and i think it had a lot to do with her wanting to ec and me not getting it.

so i say go for it

with my next, i will do it from birth on
i (at this point) believe it is the most respectful and compasionate choice for your baby.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I had a similar feeling. Once I started, I felt horrible that I had made her wear diapers for so long (4months!). Once you get going with the EC, the idea that babies are unaware of their elimination and the subsequent mess is impossible to believe.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
I have slowly started this with my DS within the past two-three months. He is almost 17 mths.

I wish i had started sooner because now that he can get up and down on his own ( and run away) it feels more like potty training than actually just going in the potty because you need to go. Does that make sense? I dont know a lot about EC so maybe i am all wrong. :LOL But when ds started peeing on me on purpose and laughing i figured it was a good time to coordinate that with the potty.

He is very interested in the potty and sits on it for about 5 seconds :LOL and up and down and up and down. But we got a poop today for the first time. He is very, uhm, expressive with poos so i should have done it a long time ago. I was just afraid of freaking him out and him starting to hold it.

Amy

·
Registered
395 Posts
We started when ds was 16 mo doing part time ec. I just left him naked for like a week; letting him pee ANYWHERE and then just saying 'pee pee' while he peed. Then he started anouncing it WHILE peeing; and around 17 mo he started saying it BEFORE peeing; but only about once or twice a day. We quit diapers altogether at 18 mo.
Often; he will tell me he needs to pee; or go sit on the potty. If I leave him totally to his own devices; he only misses two pees a day. If I take him to the potty about every hour, he'll pee and we get them all in the potty. So I guess in this case it is sort of early potty learning; because ds is very verbal and mobile.
The problem at this age, that I would imagine you wouldn't have with an infant, is that he is mobile, VERY active. But he doesn't usually put up much of a fight because he loves to "read". As soon as he sits on the potty, he says 'book?' (and then signs it repeatedly if I don't bring him one quickly enough :LOL )
ANyway I do agree with pp; do it now; during summer if you can. I regret not having done so last summer; when ds was 6 mo. and couldn't crawl (let alone walk) yet!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts