Mothering Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
499 Posts
I also have the Kindergarden materials. I'm not sure when we will start, probably after labor day...although we've already started integrating parts of the materials in.

·
Registered
4,775 Posts
: We should start our own little tribe over here.

Today was the first day that I actually planned the movement sequence and did it w/my girls. They
: it and it really helped ground my five year old who really really needs this.

I can't say enough about how much I love this curriculum.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I'm also planning on starting Enki K this Fall. My dd is 4.5, so she'll be doing it for two years. Anyone else planning two years of K or starting K with a just-turned-5 year old?

Also, everyone talks about Enki being so hard to use. I was totally overwhelmed at first, but I think that K can be pretty simple, right? What do you see your year looking like? I imagine doing a fairy tale one week and nature story the next week. Telling the story all week and expanding it with artwork and/or crafts towards the end of the week. We also do a playgroup with a group circle time once a week and we do the same "group" circle time as a family a few more times each week. Doesn't sound to hard... Am I missing something?

·
Registered
300 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by racheleuphoria View Post
I'm also planning on starting Enki K this Fall. My dd is 4.5, so she'll be doing it for two years. Anyone else planning two years of K or starting K with a just-turned-5 year old?

Also, everyone talks about Enki being so hard to use. I was totally overwhelmed at first, but I think that K can be pretty simple, right? What do you see your year looking like? I imagine doing a fairy tale one week and nature story the next week. Telling the story all week and expanding it with artwork and/or crafts towards the end of the week. We also do a playgroup with a group circle time once a week and we do the same "group" circle time as a family a few more times each week. Doesn't sound to hard... Am I missing something?

I would love to have input on this too. I am drawn to Enki but a bit intimidated after reading so many posts about Enki being overwhelming. I am looking at Oakmeadow because it is more structured and planned on adding in the fairy tales and nature stories from Enki.

·
Registered
194 Posts
In my opinion, if you're planning on adding in nature and fairy tales from Enki, you already are planning on doing the "meat" of the Enki curriculum for K. Enki's K is appropriately casual. It is much, much less to plan and organize than 1st grade (which I also have to compare with). I do think that first grade will take a few months to plan ahead, if one planned ahead the whole year. For K, I think I'd take 1-2 nights at the end of a month to pick stories and crafts/activities for the next month.

I think people get overwhelmed when they buy the whole Enki package because they try to take everything in at once. The best thing to do, if you have the time, is to read the theory/philosophy books, then the methodology book and lastly the materials. If you skip around, you'll go crazy. You have to give yourself 2-4 weeks to digest the whole thing.

·
Registered
4,775 Posts
Quote:

I think people get overwhelmed when they buy the whole Enki package because they try to take everything in at once. The best thing to do, if you have the time, is to read the theory/philosophy books, then the methodology book and lastly the materials. If you skip around, you'll go crazy. You have to give yourself 2-4 weeks to digest the whole thing.
ITA. Except I've been reading these materials on and off for months. Many months. It is only lately that I've been reading them on a consistent basis and now finally planning.

Enki is not overwhelming in terms of planning at all - very easy in fact! The thing about the Enki materials is that there is SO much. But if you take it step by step it's much easier.

You can't expect to get your Enki materials, open up the books and begin.

And as far as using K for 2 years goes - I think we may do this. I'm not sure yet. My dd is 5.5 and my other is 4 so we're doing K for both really - although I don't mind if dd2 participates or not. I am going to see what happens next year. Right now I"m really backing off on the conceptualizing w/dd2 in the hopes that it'll ground her and help her re-integrate. If it takes me 2 years to do that, that's okay too. Some people think I'm nuts for doing this b/c dd can already read, add and subtract but I see how doing those things really is dis-integrating to her (even though she seemed to like it at the time.)

·
Registered
194 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Annikate View Post
dd can already read, add and subtract but I see how doing those things really is dis-integrating to her (even though she seemed to like it at the time.)
If you don't mind, can you share how you recognize this dis-integration or how it manifests? I'm so curious.

My DD (will be 5 in the fall) is really interested in anything "big kid". One thing I've enjoyed about Waldorf is finding new things to enjoy and experience together, rather than the academic things that are so prevalent in our culture, even at young ages. A year ago, we were doing handwriting practice and even a bit of "learning to read"

·
Registered
4,775 Posts
Quote:

If you don't mind, can you share how you recognize this dis-integration or how it manifests? I'm so curious.

It's talked about in depth in the Teacher's Guides. Short answer is that too much early conceptualizing - - (pointing out every little thing for the child instead of letting him discover things on his own, adding more "heady" stuff to things like if a child sees a cloud, beginning to explain rain or the water cycle or something else equally intellectual )- - can pull the child out of his heart center and too much into the head.

That's a very very short answer. I'm not sure I could explain it as well as it is written in the Guides.

rachel, are you on the enki forums?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Katwoman View Post
Count me in! Until recently I thought Oak Meadow was for us. But I've discovered Enki and am so EXCITED! I can't wait to get our materials.

I also used OM for a short time last year until I discovered Enki. I think you'll love it.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Annikate View Post
ITA. Except I've been reading these materials on and off for months. Many months. It is only lately that I've been reading them on a consistent basis and now finally planning.

Enki is not overwhelming in terms of planning at all - very easy in fact! The thing about the Enki materials is that there is SO much. But if you take it step by step it's much easier.

You can't expect to get your Enki materials, open up the books and begin.

And as far as using K for 2 years goes - I think we may do this. I'm not sure yet. My dd is 5.5 and my other is 4 so we're doing K for both really - although I don't mind if dd2 participates or not. I am going to see what happens next year. Right now I"m really backing off on the conceptualizing w/dd2 in the hopes that it'll ground her and help her re-integrate. If it takes me 2 years to do that, that's okay too. Some people think I'm nuts for doing this b/c dd can already read, add and subtract but I see how doing those things really is dis-integrating to her (even though she seemed to like it at the time.)
I am finding this out, lol. We just starting getting our package, so we aren't going to starting for awhile, but am still so excited
: I am loving what I have been reading. It is just what I have been always pictured when we thought about home schooling!

DD is four, so we might stretch her K year out if we need to, but that is one of the things love about this. we can do whatever is right for the child!

·
Registered
194 Posts
So, I'm starting to plan our Enki Kindergarten year, as far as stories and the general flow of the week. Is anyone planning or already started that can answer some questions? How many Enki stories do you do per week? Do you alternate between Fairy Tales and Nature stories, or what is your system? If you are Christian, how do you work in stories about faith?

I'm trying to figure out how much "school stuff" is appropriate. My daughter is going to be a young 5 year old in K, so we're doing two years of K. I want to have room to "grow" into year 2 of K, but I don't want to do too little.

Ideas? I'd love to hear how you have done/plan to do your week!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.