Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone tried those little sheets that you put in the wash to absorb excess dye from new fabrics? I just finished up making my first mai tei, (I love it!) and realised WAYYY to late that I should have prewashed. Its made of 2 fabrics, a blue denim with flocking designs and a light greenish bottomweight similar to denim(some blue was coming off on my hands after excessively handling a piece). I feel so dumb for not prewashing, and I would hate to ruin my new creation. Do these things work?

·
Registered
17 Posts
They definitely catch excess dye, and I use them frequently in mixed warm loads. I have never experienced color running when I used them, but I have not really used them with anything brand new that would have tons of dye to bleed.

I think you will most likely be okay if you wash your sling in cold with one of the color catcher sheets. It might not prevent all the bleeding, but you will probably find out that the sheet is teal at the end of your wash. It will certainly be better than nothing in the wash with it.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Horray! I washed it in cold, no soap, with two of those sheets. WHen it was done, the sheets were a lovely shade of blue, and NO color bled onto my Mai Tei!!!! Now I know to prewash, but Im so happy this worked!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.