Mothering Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
from the WAP site? I was thinking of trying the recipes but just using them as regular noodles, not filling them with anything. Would love any tips from anyone who's made them....

·
Registered
624 Posts
They're also called pelmeni. I've been dying to try them forever but I haven't gotten that organized yet. I'd love to hear too if anyone tries them. I'd love to see them in "recipe" form too so it's easier to follow for those of us constantly getting distracted by the little ones.

-Kelly

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well I made them! I was nervous cuz I don't do well freestyling it, lol. I prefer detailed derections. I started with 3 egg yolks from largeg eggs, 1 C whey, a hefty dash of salt, 1 C whole spelt flour and 1 C whole wheat pastry flour. After stirring that together it was like pancake batter so I started adding more ww flour until it was kneadable. Then I kneaded, adding more flour to keep it from sticking, until it was slightly tacky and still soft but not really sticking. Then I covered it with a towel and left ot. The next day I kneaded it with more flour twice, same for the day after that. I'm not sure if something was supposed to happen. In the article/recipe hers bubbles up but I think that was because of the weather?? It was cool here all week (50-70F). I ended up leaving out for more like 5 days than 2-3 just cuz I didn't have time to deal with it. Then I finally rolled it out and cut it into short, thinish strips with a pizza cutter. I wanted to replace egg noodles in a recipe. Then I boiled the noodles in water. They turned out pretty good! They worked well in the recipe, didn't taste "whole wheat" or have a wierd texture or anything, just...noodles. LOL. I should have rolled and cut them thinner...I will be making this again. It was really easy, didn't take a lot of skill or anything. Plus I HATE all the acceptable pasta (sprouted pasta is GROSS, brown rice pasta tastes like brown rice and is slimy...haven't tried buckwheat yet but I'm not hopefull, lol...plus they're all really expensive), so I'm happy to have this recipe.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tigerius View Post
i haven't tried that particular recipe but i do make SD noodles about once a week, we love them!!
would you mind sharing your recipe?

·
Premium Member
3,787 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mamabohl View Post
haven't tried buckwheat yet but I'm not hopefull
Soba noodles are a Japanese buckwheat pasta and they are sooooooo yummy!

·
Registered
72 Posts
1C starter
1/4 ts soda
3/4 ts salt
2 eggs
2T melted butter
2-3C flour.

Knead together. Roll out thin. Cook for 3 min.

I use wholewheat flour.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm assuming the starter is regular sourdough starter? (sorry for the "duh" question, lol)

·
Premium Member
2,423 Posts
Do they taste like sourdough bread or are they "milder'?

Just asking because I have a SID kid with food issues and he loves noodles and I wanted to try something better than the store ones.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
they did not taste sour at all. They smelled a little sour while cooking but after they were done they tasted VERY mild (better than regular whole wheat noodles, IMO)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts