Mothering Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just read a book about improving your eyesight through exercise and other therapy. Supposedly it can improve nearsightedness, astigmatism and farsightedness, although eyes as they age will still have increasing trouble with closework. I just got my first pair of progressives and they cost $400 so the thought that I can actually get rid of glasses completely (Without surgery) really appeals to my frugal nature. I started doing the eye exercises and I "think" I actually notice a difference. There are a number of these types of books on the market. Anyone else want to play?

· Registered
10,098 Posts
I'd love to know more about it. I haven't read anything, but have heard about it. I was recently diagnosed with GPC (basically an allergy to my contact lenses) so I'd love to find a way to improve my eyesight and not be reliant on glasses.

· Registered
4,613 Posts
I haven't done it myself but a high school school district I work with implemented a computerized vision therapy program to improve reading among their students. I am their program evaluator and we have found dramatic improvement in students -- not all -- but some who had been plodding away at the 3rd grade level for years and years, suddenly made years of progress. Obviously, it was vision problems that were impeding their reading.

· Registered
637 Posts
Ive thought of this, and even went so far as to put together a little health booklet for my self that included exercises, supplements, and pressure points.
For some reason Ive never applied it to my life.
Ive been thinking of it lately though.

I can dig it out and give some of the info I have, I wont be able to explain the pressure points, but Im sure you could find the info on-line.
Im fairly certain eye sight can be improved and maybe even restored with proper care and exercises.

· Registered
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The book I am planning to use is called Improve Your Vision Without Glasses or Contact Lenses. I found it in the library along with some others and it seemed to lay out a program in a clear way. The daily eye exercises to maintain your vision are easy and just a few minutes. However, the program to actually improve your vision is 1/2 hour every day Seems like it would be hard to stick with for too long. When you get to where there is no more improvement you can just stay with the regular daily exercises. I am really excited about this because I would LOVE to give up my glasses, or at least only use them every once in a while. ..

· Registered
1,562 Posts
the kind of vision therapy you describe for developmentally delayed kids. My ds went to a therapist for a while and we utilized a computer program at home as well as some exercises with prisms in between visits.

This kind of therapy has more to do with how the brain processes information rather than how the eyes see.

I think these posters are talking improving their eyesight--different kind of program all together.

Both are interesting in their own right :)

· Registered
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, I thought I would report on my progress. At first I was only doing some of the exercises. I noticed a slight improvement. So I started doing the whole program. The eye exercises are great to do while I am nursing (which is very often, lately!). I have a noticeable improvement in my eyesight. In only two weeks. This is such an interesting experment. I am cautiously optimistic that the improvement may continue! I would love to get rid of the expense and hassle of glasses!

· Registered
30 Posts
I have "convergence Insufficiency" caused by dd's rough delivery-basically my eye muscles are weak and do not focus. One Optho told me to do vision therapy-another "pencil push up" exercises..which exercises did you do? I have glasses with prisms that I wear when I read. Any other thoughts or advice?? Laura

· Registered
24 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by EmsMom
So I started doing the whole program. The eye exercises are great to do while I am nursing (which is very often, lately!). I have a noticeable improvement in my eyesight. In only two weeks...
EMSMom, can you describe the exercises a little? And how long does the improvement last? Also what kind of defective vision do you have? I'm really only interested if nearsightedness (myopia) responds to this therapy. I can understand how an exercise might lessen one's need for reading glasses (because near-focusing is actually done by eye muscles). But my eye Dr. said there's no muscles involved in the basic, medium & long-distance vision; it's the inherent SHAPE of the eyeball that determines focus.
Like you I would LOVE to believe that I can change the lousy eyes I inherited from my mother and which have only gotten worse in 40 years... although the skeptic in me says it's just too good to be true.
So I'm very interested in this, and ideally I want to hear a personal experience that's been proven by a doctor-administered standard vision test. Because otherwise, it's more likely just the placebo effect at work here.

· Registered
113 Posts
I have improved my eyesight with vision therapy. However, if your problem isn't a minor one, i would recommend consulting a behavioral optometrist as soon as possible. you can find one near you online. Unlike ordinary optometrists, these people view spectacles as a means to improve ones eyesight and not as crutches without which you cannot see and which you have to replace regularly for higher and higher prescriptions. However, you may have to invest money in getting glasses with lower prescriptions, so that your eyes preserve what they gain from vision therapy.

· Registered
113 Posts
Wazabooz, I believe that vision therapy does indeed improve myopia. I can attest to this from my own experience and that of vision therapists whom I have met. However it requires patience and committment and an investment in glasses with weaker and weaker prescriptions as one improves ones eyesihght more and more. Vision therapy must be complemented by behavioral optometry. Progress may not be very quick, but the results are tangible, depending of course on your current prescription and committment to doing the exercises, making lifestyle changes etc. IMO this is a far safer option than laser surgery which, from the experience of some of my friends, can have undesirable results.
Good luck

· Registered
113 Posts
sorry for all these posts, but I just wanted to clarify to Wazaboo that the improvement in my eyesight has been documented in tests administered at my hospital. While i don't think that I will be free of glasses/contact lenses in the near future, as my problems are rather complex, I think that I should eventually manage to cut my earlier prescription in half. The length of the eyeball is only one (possible) factor in my myopia-the others can all be corrected by vision therapy, I think.
The Boston area has many people who do vision therapy for myopia, although their primary work may be with children's focusing issues, double vision etc.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.