Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, this has been bugging me for a while. i work in a store that sells CDs, and we do a lot of demos for expectant families. a lot of times they are shocked at how "expensive" the start up for what they consider the easier diapers to be (fitteds&pockets), but balk at prefolds because they seem too hard, even though they are so much cheaper.
i do my best to encourage people to at least try a few prefolds, because i honestly believe that they are one of the easiest CD options out there, and they are definitly the most cost effective. i think they are a great way to pad your stash, especially if you want to use pockets, AIOs, or fitteds most of the time.
so tell me the truth, does anyone here really truly hate prefolds? i mean, everyone has their preferences and favorites. but has anyone tried prefolds and totally disliked using them? why do prefolds get such a bad rap? as someone who started their CD journey using prefolds pretty much exclusively, i just don't get it...

·
Registered
59 Posts
I don't really hate them, but they just don't fit my almost-3-month-old son correctly. He has a big tummy, so to get prefolds that fit around it, I have to buy ones that are way too long for him. The ones I just got have to be folded about 4 inches in length to fit, but they still barely get around his tummy. I'm using snappis and they're stretched to the max!

Plus, they never really look neat...especially after they've been on for a while.

I really want to like prefolds, but until my son slims down, I just don't think I will.

·
Registered
7,813 Posts
I hated prefolds when I was CD'ing dd #1. Just couldn't get the hang of it. With dd#2 I'm finding the prefolds much easier and faster to change then the fitteds.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
I wouldn't say I hate prefolds but they really frustrate me and leave me feeling kind of inadequate!
I used them in proraps when my daughter was a newborn and, if I trifolded it, poop always came out of the sides. I tried to snappi but there were always gaps at the legs and poop came out of the sides. I moved to Fuzzi Bunz. Then, I got some really nice premium prefolds when she was bigger and tried again. I still can't snappi them so the legs don't have big gaps (and pee comes out) and I've recently tried pins but I can't get the right fit on the legs - still big gaps. I really like the way they look and I want to like them but I just can't make them work and I end up resenting the prefolds!

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
I totally hated them until baby #5. I just couldn't get the hang of folding, pinning, getting it snug enough...it really takes practice. Now I love them!
I think in order for people to really love them they need to be properly shown how to use them...
for me I needed visual pics/IRL demos...

·
Registered
832 Posts
I tried them with my daughter 6 1/2 years ago and hated them. Despised them. I decided to try them again with my new baby and I love, love, love them (and love, love, love pinning them - still haven't quite figured out how to use the snappi). I think the difference is confidence and experience in cloth diapering. I needed easy back when Ani was born and continued with that when Cameron was born. With Fritz, well, I've cloth diapered two kids now from birth to potty training (near three years for both) and I'm comfortable in the whole cloth diapering world, including using prefolds.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
I hate em. On kid #3 of cding now (I run a home daycare). THe major hating points for me are bulk, how SOGGY they get when wet, the time necessary to get it 'on right', and having 18 million steps to change the friggin' diaper.

I'm all about pockets...and even stuffing them and getting them ready seems labor intensive. But I'm committed to CDing, I just don't find the joy in it like some people do.

·
Registered
807 Posts
I like them, but I use them in BSWW covers. On the rare occasion I try to use a snappi under a different cover, they are hard to get around my chubby guy's tummy, but I know the bigger ones would be way too long.

·
Registered
4,072 Posts
I'm sorta hating prefolds. if it matters we use bumnkin covers with them.

My son is already outgrown the infants when he reached 13lbs they were supper tight on his stomache.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I think they're intimidating to a lot of people. They're really not our favorites either. They usually get grabbed if I've been slacking on the wash. Otherwise, nope.

·
Registered
5,857 Posts
I actually hate them. It's all I used till dd was 6 months old and I could afford a stash of Fuzzi Bunz. I've gotten a ton of prefolds for the triplets because I simply can't afford to buy 36-60 Fuzzi Bunz in each size for them so I'm saving for just the mediums. I will still hate them just as much, but they'll have to do.

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
I hate them. We started with them exclusively and then after about six months, I started looking at other options. IMO, they're too long and not wide enough. They are so long that you have to fold down the end which seriously increases bulk, and then they aren't wide enough to go all the way around my babies. They are completely worthless. When we used them, we just put them in a cover, and once ds could sit up, the cover's kept popping open. It was a complete disaster.

What we do use are about a dozen fitteds (for dh and sitters) and then I use flats that I make and fold so that they are wide enough to go around but not so long that they have to be doubled up. I love flats and a snappi.

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by pageta
IMO, they're too long and not wide enough.
FWIW, toddler prefolds are about the same length as premiums but a couple of inches wider. Also, I just trimmed 10 of my pf according to the method at www.diaperpages.com, and I'm loving the trimness. It's funny how different everyone's preferences are. I hate stuffing pockets, so that, to me is a huge pain. And I've never been able to pin or snappi a flat effectively, though I don't mind folding and laying them in wraps (although I find pf easier, because less folding)

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
I thought I would hate them because they looked so hard to get on and pin/snappi but i have ended up loving them for just chilling around the house in...

·
Registered
5,264 Posts
I am loving them with my newborn but hated them with the in-between solid/not solid poop stage for the toddler. The poop would get in the folds, be on both sides of the diaper, omg... what a mess to clean up.

·
Banned
1,288 Posts
When I first decided to CD, it was because I didn't have to mess with prefolds.
I thought I could just get all pockets and never have to deal with a prefold. But DH balked at the cost, so when I placed my first order, I got mostly prefolds. I was a little sad about not getting to try the millions of different diapers out there, but I also fell in love with prefolds!!!

I think most people DO end up liking prefolds if they have a chance to try them. Especially with a snappi or trifolded in a wrap. I think a lot of people could be turned on to prefolds if some stores gave out one free prefold, one prorap, and one snappi with a larger order (like over $50). That's less than $10 worth of merchandise. Most stores hand out coupon codes for more than that.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
We're supposed to pin prefolds? Oops! LOL I wondered why everyone always looked at me like I was a little nuts. :p

I just used them folded up in a prowrap or bumkins cover and tucked into the front pocket and that was that. I loved them.
I will be using them again when the baby gets here. I have like two AIO's and they make me mad because I feel like using them once and washing them is a waste or something. lol

(lol sorry for just dropping in unannounced - I like this New Post feature.
)

·
Registered
109 Posts
I have a love/hate relationship with prefolds. I hate using them as diapers, for the most part - because I never know when the poops will come, and when DS #2 (age 2) poops in one, it is a big saucy blowout mess. Always gets on the cover - major yuck. I've used a prefold w/wrap once on my newborn and he happened to poo and it blewout, not just the prefold but the wrap too. Double yuck. I *really* like fitteds for the poo containment factor.
With that said, there is nothing yummier or softer in my book than a freshly laundered, fluffy quilted-up premium prefold. LOVE them for burp-cloths, pads under bum on change table, mama milk catchers in the middle of the night, etc.
Oh, one other thing I hate about them though is how long they are - I have to fold under a good couple of inches on front or back even on my two year old and having that kind of bulk folded under doesn't really give extra absorbancy where I need them. And I know I *could* trim them, but then they wouldn't be all pretty and have matching blue ends! Yah, I'm funny anal like that!

1 - 20 of 55 Posts