Mothering Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,216 Posts
I took it for months before this baby was conceived. I didn't take any other vitamins. I'm now doing my CLO, a green powder, an occasional b-vitamin, and a multi-mineral (when I remember). Other than that, I just try to stick to a nutrient-dense, whole-foods, TF diet.

·
Registered
867 Posts
FWIW I took CLO and Rainbow light prenatals prior to conceiving-even baby was a whoops. I was taking prenatals trying to make my hair grow!

I wouldn't worry about (didn't worry about it) because the Vit A in the prenatals and the Vit A in the CLO are two different forms-and most of the time is actually beta carotene in multis. Oftentimes they are not absorbed well from multis because fat soluble vit's like A, E and K bind with minerals (calcium, magnesium, etc.) rendering both unavailable. I took a tablespoon of CLO (reg kind, not hi vit) most days (sometimes I forgot, or ran out of oj, or whatever...but most days I took it.)

Also FWIW, my baby is extremely interested in looking-he was tracking movement from birth and has to see everything-to the point it caused my OB to comment on it, thinking he sees better than most babies do...(insert proud mama icon here...
: )

Dunno if thats why or not-but I'd like to think so!

·
Registered
3,949 Posts
Congrats Laurel! I have been wondering if you had your little one yet!

I am taking high vitamin CLO but I may still take a B-complex, and total mins with iron when every once in a while I TTC this summer/fall. I have pyroloria and need extra B-6 and zinc. I may just be diligent with liver and beef instead since I would rather get nutrients from whole foods.

What Laurel is saying about A sounds right. You could check out the WAPF wesite and read mre about A if you are worried. That is one of the reasons I try and avoid multis though..because everyhting is thrown in there and not individualized.

Can you tell me about your green powder Gardenmommy?

·
Registered
4,216 Posts
YEA Laurel, you're back!! Congrats on your baby!

Well, Jennifer, I can't say I am the most researched on the subject, but I take the Garden of Life Superfood green powder. It tastes rather grassy (it reminds me of fresh cut alfalfa hay!), but it is potent. Cleans me out very nicely (sorry, TMI!). It's a nice bright green color, and turns all my smoothies a very interesting purpley color. Not that that has much bearing on its nutritional content.

·
Registered
4,507 Posts
I'm ttc and taking a prenatal and CLO (Garden of Life). tbh I'm not sure if I'll continue with the prenatal once they're gone, but I may. I'm not very worried about the Vit. A issue - my prenatal has it in the form of betacarotene, which from what I understand is not as readily absorbed (and also b/c of what I had read re: vit A on the WAPF page). I really want the extra insurance so to speak b/c my system is a bit messed up from my l/o veg days...here's hoping things get straightened out soon!!!

·
Registered
4,216 Posts
I take the powder, simply because I can mix it into my smoothies and it's really much cheaper. I usually try to keep some of the caps. on hand for travelling and convenience.

I am not doing a prenatal with this pregnancy, but I think my diet is the best it's been for any of my pregs.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.