Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A certain mainstream site keeps sending me their newsletter (unsolicited by me I might add) every week or so. At the bottom there is members comments about certain issues. This week it was sleep. This was at the bottom after a discussion of what to do about frequent nightwaking and why not to nurse back to sleep:

"I encountered similar sleep problems with my daughter until I purchased a book called "Healthy Sleep habits, Happy Child" by M. Weissbluth M.D. Solved my problems, but it does require effort and commitment.
What we discovered that sleep did not come naturally for our baby that she had to LEARN how to sleep. This book helped us understand this, therefore we were able to guide our daughter to better sleep habits.
We are so thankful for its insight, without it we would have relied on our instincts."

I almost laughed, then almost cried. I can't believe someone would write that about their own instincts!
:

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I know. I wish someone would read DR SEARS and listen to his advice like that. Well, we all do, but I wish the books people just "happen to be given by a friend" would be that instead of Babywise, etc.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I have an acquaintance who swears by this guy. She definitely could have written that post.

We went out to breakfast with her and some mutual friends when my DS was about 4-5 months old. As we were talking about baby stuff, she told me that she had "confessed" to her ped that she was co-sleeping with her then 2-month old DD. She would nurse, and then she would take her to bed, totally following her instincts.

"It's just so cozy to nurse and then lay down with her."

Anyway, her ped had brought out the big guns against co-sleeping, cautioning her about overlaying, SIDS, suffocation, etc. Just when I was about to share about our own co-sleeping situation, she said: "Well, we're going to start sleep training her at 3 months anyway. We're big fans of Weissbluth. We sleep trained DC1 and it was wonderful and now he sleeps great
"

At the time, I didn't really know who he was. I just had a normal
reaction to the words "sleep training." But, later, when I read about his techniques, I felt so bad for her DD leaving her "cozy" co-sleeping days behind her.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.