Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my 6 mo old is screaming. like, crazy screaming. he never, ever does this. he didn't get to sleep until 11:00, woke up before 12, and has been screaming for 30 minutes now. nothing i'm doing will even distract him. i'm at my wit's end. myhe won't nurse, which normally saves the day. my thoughts:

-he just got teeth last week, and has had two times when he bit me. each time i unlatched him and told him no, and he cried. now it seems that he's striking, or at least is b/c he's waaaaaaay overtired.

-my friend gave him hummus tonight. seriously. he's been eating solids for two whole weeks now, and she gave him hummus. so, my second thought is that his poor little belly is freaking out from the chickpeas. luckily it was homemade, but still.

he is absolutely miserable, and if he won't nurse, he's even more miserable. i'm betting he's hungry, but i can't do anything about it. i tried giving him expressed milk in a bottle, but he won't take that or a little water from a cup.

thoughts? i feel so bad for him...

thanks.

· Registered
627 Posts
midnight bath time!
draw a bath, and if you've got them, lavender and chamomile essential oil in the water (two drops) and rub some on his feet...cham would be great esp. if he has a belly ache from the hummus (in my opinion WAAAY too much for an itty bitty belly. our son has a very ecclectic taste for three, and loves all spices, but at 6 months he was barely eating bananas.

after bathtime, even if he is still crying, slather him with his favorite oil/lotion and rub his belly in a clockwise motion...that will ease any discomfort and then some...even do a little foot massage-play around with different parts of his foot and see if any bit of pressure in one spot stops the crying.

and lower the lights in the house....soft music?
get romantic with the tot....
think thoughts of his beautiful little self when he was born (to get you through the crying)

hopefully this will help....i remember those nights all too well

best to you guys!
kyara

· Registered
1,385 Posts
Poor babe
and poor mama.

Can you wrap him in a blanket and go outside, walk around. Tie him on wrap a big coat/blanket around both of you and go for a walk or out on the porch. He may nurse once he dozes off. I hope you both get some relief soon.

· Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thank you so much! i was able to get him to nurse for a couple minutes, and now he doesn't sound like anyone is cutting off his legs anymore. i'll try the outside (going in the cold garage helped a few minutes), and then to the bath. i don't have those oils, but if it's his belly (i think it is, given his burping and gas right now), a bath certainly can't hurt.

who gives hummus to a baby who's only had peas & sweet potatoes?! he'll probably have a lifelong aversion now. (said friend is never agaun allowed to hold him at the dinnertable.)

· Premium Member
2,761 Posts
I'm sorry! We used gas drops a few times (I don't remember even what they were called now...from the HFS) and I think the shock of having the sweetness in her mouth would sometimes get her to flip the switch on a crying jag. Poor baby!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.