Mothering Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9,587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so my mw has three pools, and as soon as one of the three women who has them - gives birth - I'll get one. BUT, I'm not incredibly sure that's going to happen before I go into labor. I'm thinking about going to Toys R Us and getting a kiddie pool. The closer I get to having this kiddo - the more sure I am that I really want a water birth this time. This is my last pg, and I don't want to miss having a water birth because I didn't get the pool in time. So, I'd like to hear from anyone who used one - did it work out okay for laboring and delivery? Was it just too much of a pain to deal with? TIA.

·
Registered
42,824 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by huggerwocky
I got that pool for my daughter to play with and honestly, it's too big! (I'm 5'9!) I can fully stretch my legs and I think for birth it's better if you can stem your legs against the wall.
I disagree. I'm only 5'5" and I didn't find it too big at all! I'd love a HUGE pool with different depths available (and things to hang on, things to sit on....)
ahhh... dreams....

-Angela

·
Registered
5,396 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by alegna
I disagree. I'm only 5'5" and I didn't find it too big at all! I'd love a HUGE pool with different depths available (and things to hang on, things to sit on....)
ahhh... dreams....

-Angela
I like the depth,too, just not the diameter

·
Registered
3,870 Posts
I used one for my 2nd and 3rd.

I agree that the one in the picture might be too big. There is one that has the same fishy on it, same three rings but is smaller around. A friend tried the larger one for her birth and had some sort of prob. with the water sloching out.

I was trying to google pictures of the kind that I used and lo and behold I found pictures of the birth of my 3rd. http://www.birthbalance.com/stories/sage.shtml I forgot it was on that site.
There is quite a few pictures of different positions.

Here is another one I found. A little more costly but looks great! http://www.babyou.com/?miw1

·
Registered
6,047 Posts
I've got this one It's very similar (same size, etc) as the kiddie pool I used last time.

·
Registered
236 Posts
we used the birthwithsol pool too- i think it was the smaller one though- not sure. in fact, thats all the home birth midwives use around here (southern maine). the set up from my midwife came with an electric pump and a sump pump for afterwards (to drain the water into the bathroom sink/tub). also two LONG hoses- one for clean water, one for dirty water. and an adapter for the faucet. it worked absolutely fine for us and i've seen it work countless other times at home births. just be sure that 1) the adapter/hose will fit your faucet. we have funky faucets and had to hook up the hose to our washer (worked fine just handy to know ahead of time) 2) your hoses are long enough to get form the water source to where the tub will be 3) you turn up your water heater when you go into labor 4) you have big pots available to boil water on the stove if oyu run out of hot water.
and my only other suggestion is to run this all by your midwifery team to make sure they are comfortable with the set up and will be responsible for filling/maintaining/draining the tub. its the last thing your partner needs to be worrying about! (we inflated our tub at 37 weeks and when i started labor my husband hooked up the hoses- but then the midwives took it from there).
good luck!

jen
mama to jack
born at home

·
Registered
9,587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Wow! Thanks for all the great responses ladies! I'm going to check out all the links and write down the great information you all gave me. (After all this I'll probably turn my nose up at getting in the water!
)

·
Registered
6,047 Posts
FWIW - I got my pool at Canadian Tire - we're using it on the balcony for the summer now for the kids.

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
DH and I went to TRU to get the fishy pool a week and a half ago and they were already clearing out the pools and water toys to bring in back to school stuff. So we ordered This pool as they were sold out of the smallest fishy pool (my first choice). I definately want to be able to put my feet on the sides if I want to. I labored in a fishy pool for my first birth (wasn't "allowed" to birth there
: ) and it definately felt great!

·
Registered
9,587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I ordered one from Birth With Sol, and it will be here Wednesday! Woo hoo. So, I'm covered. If this baby waits, I'll be able to use the mw's aqua doula. If not, I'll have my own - I am ready to go! Yea!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts