Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

· Registered
699 Posts
We used it and we loved it! This has become my new favorite baby gift!

We put bananas in it to start and them progressed to other fruits-grapes, muskmellon, honeydew, strawberries, etc. Our dd loved it for the fact that she could feed herself and we felt it was a safe way to feed her fruit-esp. grapes.

· Registered
1,723 Posts
We have one and I WISH ds would get into it. He won't put it in his mouth! I'm not sure why. Poor dh, he was sooooo excited about this thing! He got it when I was still pg.

· Registered
6,317 Posts
Amy, don't feel too bad, Ben hated it, too. I think it had to do with the texture of the mesh. I was so excited about it, but he just wouldn't let that thing near his mouth, which is really funny cause he'd chew on just about anything else on the planet!

I'm debating about getting one for Kieran, but don't want to end up with something else that gets unused. Maybe the cheap one from Sassy will work.

· Registered
1,103 Posts
rubelin said:
Amy, don't feel too bad, Ben hated it, too. I think it had to do with the texture of the mesh. I was so excited about it, but he just wouldn't let that thing near his mouth, which is really funny cause he'd chew on just about anything else on the planet!

QUOTE]

My Benjamin is exactly the same. He'll put everything in his mouth, except food, which he examines like it's contaminated. He hated the self feeder for eating, but loves chewing on the handle. Oh well.

· Registered
445 Posts
Hi, I am in the registering for baby stuff stage, and have seen these promotedas no-choke devices. But why not just give the baby the food in appropriate sizes, amounts, textures? What is the appeal here? Just curious about these anyway and saw the thread. What do you like about them?

· Registered
12,879 Posts
I have one that I have used for my 2 oldest dd's. Love it though it is a pita to clean. I use a old tooth brush and give it a good soak in oxygen bleach everyso often.

We put peas, grapes, bananas, melon, slightly cooked apple in it. The girls loved it.

· Registered
718 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tanibani
I never used one because I didn't want my son sucking on that plastic mesh. Anybody know exactly what the material is??? I couldn't find the info on the website.
Mine has been put away for over a year, but I don't think the mesh is plastic. It felt more like a very tough fabric to me.

I had the original, the Baby Safe Feeder. http://www.babysafefeeder.com/ It's possible that the one at Target is made of cheaper (plastic) materials.

The appeal is that you don't have to take the time to cut the food into tiny pieces. The baby does the "cutting" himself/herself by chewing. The food will squeeze out through the mesh holes, obviously only in tiny pieces.

The main thing I put in it was cantaloupe and banana. Yes, it's messy either way. But my daughter loved using it, and it saved me lots of time.

I remember the banana did stain the mesh, but I was able to get it out. I think I just scrubbed the mesh immediately with soap and hot water. I also put it in the dishwasher, but if I skipped the scrubbing step, the color would stain.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.