Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If so, what is your setup? I was thinking of doing this and I dont know where to begin. I have lots of flannel. Does that work well for this? Explain your whole system to me.

·
Registered
3,458 Posts
I cut up flannel, as well as old tshirts. Flannel is softer, but tshirts don't fray.

I keep the cloths in a disposable wipes container on the back of my toilet. I like to use dry for pee, and wet for poop, but I keep the cloths dry because our toilet is right.next.to. the sink, so I can just wet them as needed. (However, a spray bottle would work if your toilet is far from the sink.)

To launder, I have a locking suction plastic hook on the side of the toilet and a zippered mesh laundry bag hangs from the hook. (I actually have two bags, one to use and one to wash.) Both of these items are readily available at Megalomarts and they each cost about $1. I put the cloths in there, and just wash them (about 2x week) with diapers or towels.

We still have toilet paper on the roll for guests, as well as that first swipe after poop, but we spend $1.19 per month on toilet paper now. WAAY cheaper. And once you've wiped with TP, and then with a damp cloth, and you see what the TP has left behind, you'll never use TP alone ever again.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
I've considered this, but I KNOW my fiance would never go for it. He hates all things bathroom related. (The only way I could get him to agree to CD was to promise to do all the CD laundry.)
However, I've considered using cloth wipes for myself, and just adding them to the diaper laundry which is already kept in our bathroom. I probably wouldn't use it for poop. I just don't like the idea of adult poop being anywhere but flushed down the toilet. Besides, the majority of TP is used for pee, anyway. (In my case, at least.)
If I were to start, I'd just keep a container of the cloth wipes I already use on the babe near the toilet. Since her changing station is already in the bathroom, it wouldn't be difficult.

·
Registered
694 Posts
I use it just for pee. I cut up a flannel flat sheet that had been patched on one bottom corner. I made my cloth tp small (about 3.5 or 4 x 5.5 or so) and serged two pieces together so it's double-layered. It's perfect for me. I fold it in half again just before I wipe and it's the perfect size. I couldn't see the point in having a big 8" square one or even 6" square. Mine is just for wiping those drips, not wiping up poop.

I don't have a "system" really. I keep them in a small rectangular wicker basket on a shelf above the toilet and put a small stack on the back of the toilet tank. Right now I don't have a crock or anything to use (and literally no place in my bathroom to put one) so I have a yogurt tub with a lid stuffed down between the toilet and the counter. When it's full, I toss it in with a towel load.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I have a small basket filled with pieces of an old t-shirt which I cut into squares (okay well, mostly squares - some are odd shapes because of arm and neck holes) in a little cupboard I can reach from the toilet. Each piece is folded in 4 so it's nice and cushy. I have a ceramic jar in the same little cupboard where I put the used cloth. I only use it for pee though because I don't own my own washing maching and only do laundry about once a week. My room-mate doesn't even know I do it as I keep everything in my cupboard.
When laundry day comes I rinse the cloth(es) in the sink then toss them in with my regular laundry.

·
Registered
10,795 Posts
we have been using cloth TP full time for 6 months now!
I personally don't like flannel myself, but use cotton terry or velour washcloths. I just keep a basket on the back of the toilet and put them in with the diaper laundry (DD is almost fully PL though, so it is mainly cloth TP laundry now and a night time dipe or two!)

ETA- used wipes get put into a step style trash can with a lid and pull out bucket. (so no touching the wipes when transfering to the washer) I just dump them in then hose out the bucket outside w/ a squirt of dish soap. then after it dries, I sprinkle in a bit of baking soda (sometime a drop of TTO or lavender EO) over the bottom before putting it back- this is my system for CD and it just carried over to the wipes

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
I have been wanting to do cloth pads and toilet paper. So far I am nursing and don't have AF, and I planned on making the switch at the same time, so this is good stuff to know. I do CD and use hankerchiefs (sp) though.

·
Registered
3 Posts
We only use cloth wipes for pee, but it still reduces our toilet paper costs considerably! Our wipes were made from a men's polo shirt because the fabric is really durable. The squares are about 5" each which does seems a bit big, but they work. I have them on an over-the-toilet shelf in a woven box. Since I didn't finish the edges of the cloth once they've been dried on hot they curl up like scrolls- its cute, looks good in the box, and are easy to grab. Our used ones go into a small, homemade flannel bag (with a covering flap) hooked on the side of the vanity cabinet. This system works well for us because its discrete enough to leave all parts in view and flows well. I wash the cloth TP with bath towels, kitchen towels, and any other white cotton we use... it helps me do the laundry if I don't have to sort too much, so all white cloth products it is!

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
I just learned about family cloth a few days ago and started yesterday--I love it!

My husband is not "on the program" right now, but he may convert at some point. Even if he doesn't, I feel much cleaner, myself, and that's totally worth it!

I have a basket of cut-up washcloths on the back of the toilet. I also have a bottle of homemade wipe solution that I can use to wet the wipes. Honestly, I haven't quite been brave enough to wipe a poop yet. I hope I will soon, though, because cloth is definitely more effective.

Used wipes go in a stepcan next to the toilet. Haven't washed yet, but I plan to toss them in with towels, or maybe undies, since we don't have a bebe in diapers (yet). Does anyone else do that?

·
Registered
281 Posts
Hello,

I hope this doesn't gross too many out! I have found the cleanest method is to use my hand and a peribottle for poops. I don't touch anything with the hand I use to clean and then I promptly wash with soap and then use grapefruit seed extract for further cleaning. I really like the system - very gentle, clean and no poopy rags.

cheers,
jenn

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
I am the only one that uses it at my home either!

Trust me though, a lot of SO's come around to it after a few months. Mine has been using it more often.

I have mine in a little container under the sink (right beside the toliet) and I just reach in and grab one or two. I put them in a mesh *with zipper bag* and then toss it into the washer.

·
Registered
6,576 Posts
`We just started this.

I keep a basket of old washclothes (plus I found them 10 for 5 dollars) and have a wetbag for used clothes. Dh refused to do this, although he will use cloth for the kitchen (no paper towels). We also have TP for guests.

I prefer the cloth and feel much cleaner. I wash a load about every 2-3 days.

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by radiantorganics View Post
Hello,

I hope this doesn't gross too many out! I have found the cleanest method is to use my hand and a peribottle for poops. I don't touch anything with the hand I use to clean and then I promptly wash with soap and then use grapefruit seed extract for further cleaning. I really like the system - very gentle, clean and no poopy rags.

cheers,
jenn
Note to self: Dont take any cookies from radiantorganics. Haha.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Quote:

Hello,

cheers,
jenn
I've heard of this before, but for whatever reason it hadn't occurred to me to try it myself, even though I already use cloth tp. (duh!) I think I might walk to the drugstore for a peribottle and try it out. (when I get home of course!) Thanks for being brave enough to share!

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Quote:

Hello,

cheers,
jenn
So do you just squirt the "debris" off your bottom?
How much ends up on your hand? Do you dry off with a wipe afterward?

(I am endlessly curious about such personal things.
)

·
Registered
281 Posts
'Debris', huh? ...I like that

I squirt and wash at the same time. No poop stays on my hand and once you get over the initial cultural ewwww....there is absolutely nothing gross about it - as long as you do a good clean afterwards.

I was a Biology major in university and recall an experiment we did in some lab I took. We had sheets of toilet paper wrapped around our hands and then pressed our covered hand onto a petri dish with ecoli bacteria. Then we unwrapped our hands, pressed our hand again on a clean petri dish (no bacteria) and incubated the petri dish. It was found that there were LOTS of ecoli bacteria growing on the cultured dish. The tp did not protect us much. So it's really in the washing up afterwards.

I do think grapefruit seed extract is a good one to use after a soap job. We have ours in a jar with a dropper so we can apply directly to the contact fingers and not use a lot each time as it is $$.

warmly,
jenn

p.s. my cookies are said to have a 'unique' flavor!

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Wow, that is so fascinating. I don't know if I could get over the ewness. But I am definitely not surprised at the results of your lab test.

I wonder if a cloth wipe would protect the hand better than tp.

Could Tea Tree Oil work the same and Grapefruit Seed?

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
I have a covered basket on the back of my toilet where I store clean cloths. I use Northen Essence foaming wipe solution when wet cloths are necessary, and that is kept next to the basket. Dirties go in a drawstring wet bag that is hung on the inside bathroom door knob. For the cloths I use flannel on one side and BKT on the other and serge the edges. I wash every other day. I have the exact same set up in dd's bathroom as well. Easy peasy!

·
Registered
281 Posts
I bet a thick cloth would protect your hand more, but then think of all the bacteria multiplying in the bucket and into the washer, on and on...do you think it is all dead by the time it is washed and ready for the next use? Maybe that will help with the yuck factor of my method...not trying to convince

I'm not sure about tea tree oil. One thing I would be concerned about is developing a sensitivity to it as many people are allergic.

warmly,
jenn

·
Registered
167 Posts
We've got a basket of our cloth wipes for the babies on the back of the toilet tank. I just use those (wetting them in the sink, reachable from the toilet) and throw them in the diaper pail with all the rest of the diaper laundry. No big deal. But my DH won't dare try it. Good enough for the babies, good enough for me. I find it much more comfortable, and it cleans so much more thoroughly.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.