Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking of investing in a new line of cookware - time to replace all the old teflon and dented stainless steel!

I really like the Le Creuset line - but they're expensive. It's a big investment and I'm wondering any of you use them and if so, have you been happy with them?

TIA!

·
Registered
3,805 Posts
I'm not sold on their white interiors. They get stained after awhile. I really like the Staub line from France. Eg: http://www.amazon.com/Staub-6-Quart-...287833&sr=1-14

They have black enameled interiors and don't show stains. Otherwise they're the same if not better quality than LC. Also, their pot lid handles are metal so they are oven proof at higher temps. I believe LC's handles are plastic?

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
The white interior of Le Creuset is designed to allow you to see how much browning is going on, when you are cooking meat or veggies or making a sauce. Black interiors make it harder to see what's going on with the food.

The handles of some of my pan lids are plastic, others are metal. I use both in the oven at temperatures up to and possibly over 500*. The food doesn't touch the pan lid, so I don't worry about plastic in the food.

The two pans that I use most often are the dutch oven and the lidded casserole--a round, shallow pan that's useful for browning meat, braising food, and making risotto. I also have two nifty pans that are saucepans with a frying pan for a lid. They're useful, but if I had to choose just two pans to buy, I'd skip the saucepans.

I also have two cast iron skillets--one is an enameled pan, the other not. Both work interchangeably, so if I were trying to save money, I'd get a Lodge cast iron pan, season it correctly, and get used to cleaning it with kosher salt and a paper towel, then hot water and never dish soap.

If you have an outlet mall near you, look to see if there's a Le Creuset outlet in it. Besides selling a full line of this year's colors, they usually also have some discontinued colors and may offer factory seconds on other pans. Resist the urge to purchase stoneware bakeware in matching colors; the prices are high, and the performance no better than standard pyrex bakeware.

The prices of Le Creuset is high, but if you take any sort of reasonable care with the pans, your grandchildren will be using them someday. (Possibly because you have become too weak to lift them!
). They last and last, and I really do use mine every day.

·
Registered
5,018 Posts
I absolutely adore mine. I got ridiculously lucky and scored them for free (pre-kids) before I knew anything about what they were or really even thought much about cooking. It's a wonder I lugged them with me through all the moves I made in those days. I use them every single day and have done so for over ten years now--and they were long used when I got them. They show no signs of quitting any time soon.

·
Registered
347 Posts
I have Le Creuset - i started off slowly replacing older pots and then started getting some as gifts. Now i have nearly a full set. You can always find deals on Amazon once in a while, or searching Craigs List, etc.

LC knobs are phenolic, so there is a certain threshold temp. However I have never surpassed it. They have replacement knobs just in case though.

I agree that LC and Staub are pretty much the same, which one you chose is sort of a personal preference, in the colours and pieces you like.

The price you pay for LC, comes back to you with their warranty. I know a woman who had an LC French Oven, bought in france in the 70s. She moved to the states and the lid got a chip in it. She took it to the store and they got her address and sent her a brand new one. That kind of service is priceless, if you ask me, as I am prone to ruining things.

I LOVE my LC. I cook with it every day, various things. I use the buffet casserole the most - for stovetop rissotto and anything that needs to be braised. Up next is the frying pan and then the French Oven - i imagine i will use the French Oven a lot in the fall when its soup and stew time though.

Definitely worth it and OH so pretty. I actually use mine as sort of decoration in the kitchen too. See:

http://photos-f.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-...21_7366145.jpg

And steamed salmon in the wok, barley risotto in the buffet casserole:
http://photos-a.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-...016_320979.jpg

·
Registered
274 Posts
I love my Le Cruset Dutch Oven. I also have and use regularly a large frying pan and a grill pan. Neither my mother or I has ever had the white interiors stain and all my handles are metal. They are serious about the lifetime warranty too--my mom received one as a wedding present about 30 years ago and recently noticed some enamel wearing thin (after twice weekly use for 30 years). They took it back and gave her a new one no questions asked.

That said, for basic frying pans I would just get the Lodge cast iron and season them well and only spend on Le Cruset for the pots and Dutch Ovens and such.

·
Registered
5,936 Posts
I have a Le Creuset saucepan and I think it is fabulous. I would LOVE a dutch oven but I need the money first. My other pans are All Clad- I think the All Clad is great for a saute pan- and I love them for things like cooking rice and such. I like a combo- oh plus a regular ol' cast iron pan.

·
Premium Member
2,858 Posts
I have several pieces and love them, think they are totally worth it. Most of mine came from an outlet mall, where they sell pieces with small flaws in the paint, etc, that don't actually interfere with use.

·
Registered
571 Posts
You can get a stainless steel knob from Le Creuset to replace the one that the pot comes with. We did that so that we could bake bread in it at 500 degrees. The knob it comes with is not rated that high.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
THANK YOU for all the great responses!
I love the photos of yours, Astrogirl!
I've never seen the Staub line - those are beautiful.
Bird Girl - Great post! Awesome tips, which I will follow.

LB - That's pretty impressive that they honored a return after 30 yrs!

I am going to pick up two pcs a month until I have a decent set.

Wish I could score a set for free like you did MJ!

They are heavy. My friend broke her toe once when she dropped the dutch oven lid. OUCH!

Thanks again for the great responses.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I'll throw some negatives about mine out there, since everyone seems to love them so much... we have several pieces and we've been happy with them, but they're not perfect.
-they are ULTRA heavy. I need both hands on my bigger pans, which is inconvenient sometimes. seriously, my MIL who has mild arthritis could never handle them.
-we have a smaller saucepan and what looked like a metal piece on the handle is really painted and has been chipping and peeling off. nothing in contact with the pan, so we're not eating paint, but annoying for how much it cost.
-we were wanting the most non-stick of the safer cookware, and I don't think they are particularly so. for it to be more non-stick than not, I've found you really have to let it heat to full temp, and grease it in some way, before you put anything in it (I'm thinking of eggs). which brings up another small con
-they take longer to reach full heat. which is of course why they're good at holding heat, but still, it can be annoying when the kids want their eggs RIGHT NOW.

the things we like about them is the even heating, good looks, dishwasher safe, and most of all, non-toxic. we have one cast iron which I like to use a lot but it take more attention washing and drying. and so if you don't use a dishwasher much I'd recommend seasoned cast iron, it's basically the same.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Astrogirl View Post
I have Le Creuset - i started off slowly replacing older pots and then started getting some as gifts. Now i have nearly a full set. You can always find deals on Amazon once in a while, or searching Craigs List, etc.

LC knobs are phenolic, so there is a certain threshold temp. However I have never surpassed it. They have replacement knobs just in case though.

I agree that LC and Staub are pretty much the same, which one you chose is sort of a personal preference, in the colours and pieces you like.

The price you pay for LC, comes back to you with their warranty. I know a woman who had an LC French Oven, bought in france in the 70s. She moved to the states and the lid got a chip in it. She took it to the store and they got her address and sent her a brand new one. That kind of service is priceless, if you ask me, as I am prone to ruining things.

I LOVE my LC. I cook with it every day, various things. I use the buffet casserole the most - for stovetop rissotto and anything that needs to be braised. Up next is the frying pan and then the French Oven - i imagine i will use the French Oven a lot in the fall when its soup and stew time though.

Definitely worth it and OH so pretty. I actually use mine as sort of decoration in the kitchen too. See:

what i a cute kitchen...

I've always wanted one of these pans...

someday...

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
I found a sale in September and got a dutch oven, an 8qt stock pot, and a grill pan. I don't use the grill pan a ton, because I forget about it, but I use the stock pot frequently and the dutch oven almost every day. I have made bread in it, rice crispy treats, anything. I want more pieces.

·
Registered
491 Posts
I have a few pieces and I love them. If you don't care about matching pieces (I don't) check out TJMaxx or Marshalls. That's where I've gotten mine. They are seconds or scratched or whatever, but they are also about 1/2 the price.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Astrogirl View Post

LOVE the kitchen!!! :-D

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.