Mothering Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good? Bad? Worth the money? I almost picked up a pair today (I go through my entire set of cloth pads in a day) but wanted to ask here before I dropped $30 on them. Do they actually work? I'm looking for something that will help with letdown on the breast I'm not feeding from. I don't remember it being this bad last time, but milk actually starts dripping through my bra, pad and shirt out of the breast I'm not feeding from. It's nuts! :LOL And when I'm dealing with a wiggly newborn that's still learning how to latch on, I can't always put pressure on my breast to stop it. It seems like that's the concept behind Lily Padz.

So...do they actually work?

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
I got a pair cuz I was always leaking thru everything...drip, drip, drip constantly. For awhile I didn't care then it all of a sudden really got on my nerves. I had heard that the lily padz could cause plugged ducts by not letting the milk flow, so I went easy with them, didn't use them every minute of the day. They work really nicely for me, and I swear they are "training" my boobs to not drip while feeding because I almost never need to use a pad anymore, or let me say it is 1/4 of what it used to be, now if I really feel it comin' all i need to do is place really lite pressure on my chest and it stops. The only con, I think, is that I can't seem to apply one w/out really being obvious, because of the way you have to hold them in the ce nter and smooth down. ps, just saw a new pair go for 13$ on ebay 2 days ago...

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
I have a pair and found they are great for my nights out with out baby but are a real pain to deal with using when out and about with baby b/c you can't leave the pad in the bra while feeding baby like you can with a cloth pad, or i can't anyways. I also found they did help like train my breast to not leak as often, ect. I only paid about $16 on ebay a while back also you can post an ISO on the FSOT board b/c they can be boiled to sterilize them! HTH!

·
Registered
4,482 Posts
I have a pair and like them a lot. What I like best about them is that you don't need to wear a bra in order to use them, like lots of nursing pads. Since they stick right on, you don't need anything to hold them in place. I found them relatively easy to apply, even discreetly in public, so keep in mind that, as with everything, YMMV.

Like the PP said, you can find them "previously enjoyed" and so, of course, if you buy a pair and don't like them you can offer them up on the TP yourself and recoup some of your loss.

HTH!
~Nick

·
Registered
41 Posts
i like mine

bad things: my baby (13 mos) likes to try and play with them, but it may be cuz they are new to her (just started using). Bec. she is so fascinated with them, i find it hard to get them on and off discreetly in public.

also in bad heat i get sweaty under them. ugg. but that was in really bad heat/humidity

good things:

can wear without bra.

can wear to bed.

comfy

keeps my now constantly poking out nipples (something i have never dealt with!) under control. nice unexpected bonus

i only paid $20 new for mine online. forget where. so shop around if you wnat to buy new!

·
Registered
255 Posts
I think they work very well against leaking, but I've only used them a few times, as with a PP, they seemed to make me sweaty. Also they were tricky to put back on discretely, but I wore them with an older baby so I had to deal with a squirmy child in my lap, bra, shirt, pads, etc. I bet with a tiny babe it would be easier. For certain clothes, like my majamas nursing dress which is thin and smooth fabric they're perfect though. I paid about $20.

Sorry this wasn't a very helpful review. :LOL

·
Registered
59 Posts
I bought some on eBay a few weeks ago. (less than $15 I think, including shipping)I like them, except for what PP said about where do you put them while nursing?? And they do get sweaty on hot days. Otherwise I like them, especially under thin shirts or a tank, and with a regular bra. Very thin, and no UFO looking things looking all lumpy under a shirt!

·
Registered
371 Posts
I found them very difficult to use and cumbersome to apply discreetly. I got them shortly after my second was born, and I was leaking like crazy. If I didn't get them on *just right*, I'd leak a little spot right around my nipple, and that would slowly spread down the length of the pad and create this little river of wetness coming out of my armpit or the top of my breast or someplace completely unexpected. And, sometimes the pool would just sit there, which caused me to worry about yeast.

Fortunately, my leaking slowed down considerably after a month or so. I leaked for ages with my first child, but this time, not so much.

My personal opinion would be don't spend the money on them unless you have it to waste. They might work for you, but they might not. And, I don't think they're a good "everyday" solution. Milk needs to flow. I've been reading lately about milk blebs possibly being caused by milk that needs to leak but doesn't. Going braless and catching it is the healthiest thing for your breasts in the long run. Although, that's not always possible, admittedly.

·
Registered
4,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the reviews.
I'll probably end up dropping the money on them (the place I'm going to buy them from is a small shop owned by an AP momma...gotta support local business!) I have a ton of tank-tops with built-in bras, and these would be perfect for them. The cloth pads just aren't working out right now. Maybe once my supply settles down a bit, I can go back to them. Would you beleive that I looked at 4 different stores/pharmacies for disposable nursing pads, and nobody sold them? I wanted to pick some up to wear during DD's birthday party, but ended up having to change my shirt 3 times due to leaks, instead.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
LOVED mine!!
yeah a little sweaty in 100 egree weather but i would just use the wool ones for a break,also i didn't sleep in mine so they could 'breathe'
i would just stick it somewhere else on my breast when i nursed

i have some if you are interested,pm me

hth

·
Registered
3,909 Posts
Have any of you had issues of thrush with the lilypadz? I have a pr, but on another BF forum I hang out at, several ladies complained of thrush, and having been through 2 thrush disasters of my own (not related to the lillypadz), I have been hesitant to really use the lilypadz I got. However, I'm going to be having baby #2 in august and would like to give the lilypadz another try... I'm just scared of getting killer thrush again.

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
Just got some last week.. love them for most of the day. Like pp said, sometimes they are tricky to put back on and flip up a bra flap and hold babe all at the same time, but they were cheap on ebay, and I thought worth a try.

I did leak a huge puddle - but I was really pushing the limit on them - dd was napping a loooong nap and I nursed her to sleep on the emptier side, and the other side was OUCH full, and I walked around w/no bra and eventually the weight of my breast and the walking triggered a leak and the pad lost. Actually it held quite well, until I picked up babe and the force of her against me squirted all the milk out like a balloon

Thrush - I wouldn't be too concerned - you can wash them with vinegar to kill any yeasties, and you can boil them regularly to be safe. But I also won't wear them 24/7.

THey do wonders for the headlight nipple issue.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts