Mothering Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I also posted in midwives forum. We are planning our first homebirth and started interviewing midwives in the area. So far, we only met Nancy Wainer, and really liked her. Just looking for feedback from anyone or other midwives that will go to Natick. Also, are there any CNM's who do homebirths in MA?

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
I suggest doing a search in this forum, since people love her or do NOT recommend her, and those people could PM you why.

·
Registered
7,963 Posts
Miriam Khalsa, CPM, is in Sherborn, the next town south of Natick, so she'd be super close. She caught my second son (my regular midwife was there, but had just had shoulder surgery), and she'll be at my next birth too if it doesn't happen during her summer vacation in 3 days!
I know someone who apprentices with Nancy Wainer, but I've never met Nancy. I've heard lots of good things about her, and a few people who didn't care for her. But I suppose that's the way it is with anyone! The one thing negative I've heard is that she's expensive, ie. $5000 I think? Whereas my midwife (also a CPM) in Stoneham (and she would travel to Natick), charges about $3000 total (ie. all prenatal appointments, homevisits, birth, postpartum appoinments combined).
But if you feel comfortable with a certain midwife personally, I think that's what matters most!!

- Krista

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Here's a good resource....

www.massmidwives.org

There is also Laurie, Deborah and Emily of Homebirth Midwives...and I think they might be in your area? Here's Laurie Hanrahan's number (617) 964-7501

CNM's can't do homebirth in MA because no physician will back them up to do this.

Best of luck in your search! Paige

·
Registered
8,678 Posts
My sister used Nancy and loved her! My sister had very high blood pressure (mostly due to nerves about high BP), nose bleeds, and is rather high strung. They thought she might have to be transferred to the hospital due to the BP but she was fine, the baby was fine (even if she took a while to come out). My sister felt very comfortable with Nancy and her assistants.

I think Nancy has open houses where you can go meet the new moms and get more information.

·
Registered
404 Posts
I love Nancy. I had an incredible homebirth with her in attendance. Really hard to put into words how wonderful it was to have a homebirth and how thankful I am to have had her there. Her partner Heather Laier is also fantastic, warm and caring. She was a wonderful support during labor as well. I have several friends who also birthed with her and had wonderful experiences.

She is a truly amazing woman.

A related (somewhat) story... My aunt-in-law just had her second baby. First was a c/s and they were devastated, especially since it was completely unwarranted. They are two of the most "mainstream" folks you will ever meet. Well, she decided to have a vbac. We visited them shortly after the baby was born and she told me how during the pregnancy she read and researched and read and researched and was determined to have a vaginal birth. She said she felt completely confident and prepared to stand up to the doctors/nurses because of a book she had read. I asked what the name of the book was (I had a feeling...) She said "Silent Knife". I told her my midwife Nancy had written it
Just an example of the impact Nancy has had, even from afar.

You have to go with your instincts when you pick someone. It is a very intimate and deep relationship you will be developing with that person. I agree that it would be helpful to attend one of Nancy's open houses (third Thurs of each month I think but call her to check) and chat with her and meet some of the moms. I plan on going in the fall w/ my 2yo, to visit.

I would be happy to answer any questions about Nancy or homebirth. Having had some distance from my experience I have really been able to process the pregnancy, birth and relationship with Nancy.

Congrats!

·
Registered
51 Posts
I used Nancy for my VBAC - love her! We are using her again for our 3rd. She is definitely an activist and a take charge woman so I guess that can put people off but I really appreciated it. I also loved her partner Heather Laier.

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
I have met Nancy at a birthday party and my friend is apprenticing with her and another friends used her. I have heard very good things about her. I have also heard she is expensive.

ps I had a homebirth with a CNM in MA but she was a NH CNM so maybe that is how it worked.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I have met Nancy and had a consult with her when I was pregnant with my first. She is the kind of person with whom one cannot really get a word in edgewise. I would say she is the type of person you have to get used to, and with anyone "famous" there is certainly an ego issue as well as a high fee. Since I am in the market for an HBAC I would consider her anyhow but she works with Heather L., and she was supposed to be my midwife with my first birth and she abandoned me in labor at 42 weeks, leaving me to find a new midwife from scratch. Just a word of caution. When you interview a miodwife, make sure to really find out what they are about, and ask for a specific list of reasons they would eject you from their care so you don't get surprised down the road.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have to second the recommendation for Heather and Nancy. Together they are an amazing team! They attended my first homebirth, and then Heather attended my second.

If you look at my other posts you can read about my experiences with Heather (I had two babies with her). I love her so much that I've been posting here all evening about her!

·
Registered
1 Posts
(I apologize 4 any typos in advance, I am breastfeeding and typing w/ 1 hand right now!)

I have met Nancy Wainer and have read Silent Knife - a great read. I think there is another book, Birth Quake, by her but I haven't read that one. Nancy is a lovely person but I clicked with Heather so well I went with Heather and didn't bother interviewing anyone else. (Heather was the second midwife I interviewed. The first midwife I interviewed was a naturopath/midwife up in Manchester, NH I forget her name right now.)

On November 6, 2007 Heather Laier helped me welcome my 8lb 2oz baby boy into the world. She was fabulous as was her partner Vicki and their two apprentices Barbara and Gina. I really got the Cadillac of care. Seriously, now I know how those celebrities feel when they go to 4 star spas!

I started labor at 10:30pm (very manageable), called Heather around 3am. All her crew was there almost immediately and I had my baby in the birthing tub at 4:30am.

My husband is a doctor and he was just in awe at how prepared they were. They brought with them so many supplies and tools. They pack very well!

They were so patient and caring. Heather managed to make me laugh quite a few times despite my anxiety. I do believe I made her laugh a few times too. (Had I not been naked in a birthing tub, it would have been a lovely party with Heather, Vicki, Barbara and Gina!)

Heather gave me a great recipe for post partum tea. Heather and crew cleaned up everything and even made me pancakes after I gave birth!

This was my second child. What a difference in contrast to my ob/gyn prenatal care and labor/delivery at the hospital for my first child! (My ob/gyn doesn't make pancakes)

Heather and the women she works with will always be considered family to me. They are all very knowledgeable, caring, warm, fuzzy people. I can't say enough good things about them and how they treated myself, my baby, my husband, and my 2 year old daughter throughout the pregnancy, labor, delivery, and post partum period.

Feel free to email me about my experience. My prenatal care and homebirth was so great with Heather, I just want to shout it from the roof top! However, my voice is only so loud and my roof top only so high so I figured I'd go online instead!

PS I also highly recommend a heated birthing tub. That was just h-e-a-v-e-n! What a great natural pain reliever!

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
I have since had my baby w/ Nancy and Heather (10/10/07) and had a fabulous experience.

I was very specific about the way I had wanted to birth and they were so respectful about that. They did a perfect job of providing support when I needed it but staying in the shadows when I was in my flow. (That's what I had wanted). I received my own baby and did my own perineum support and it we were all able to work together as a team w/ minimal talk and fuss. It was an extremely joyful birth.

I went 43 or so weeks and I was really thankful to have mw care that was not pressuring me to do anything but pay attention to my baby. I would recommend both of these mws.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have been to over 20 births with Heather and she is wonderful to work with and extremely knowledgable. Not only is she a lovely presence to have at a birth, she knows her stuff and I would want her with me if anything were to go wrong.

Peace
Jessica

·
Registered
6 Posts
I've had both my boys with Heather Laier. She was referred to me by my sister-in-law, who absolutely loved her and almost had Heather fly out to California for her other two births (she moved there after her first).

Heather is loving and very knowledgeable. She has a great intuitive sense about births. She makes sure that you get the kind of experience that you'd like to have, but not to the expense of the baby's or your health.

My first birth with her was quite long, active labor. I started contractions at 9:45 on a Friday night and it progressed quite quickly. At about 1:00 am the contractions were so strong, but things weren't progressing. At 10:00 am, Heather broke my water. My son was born at 4:00 Saturday afternoon. She and her partner, Kim Bradlee, made sure that I was always in the best position for the baby, even if it wasn't the most comfortable for me, throughout the whole labor.

Unfortunately, my son had problems with too much fluid in his lungs and my blood pressure was non-existent, so we had to transport to the hospital. Even though that happened, Heather was so great there, too. She helped make sure that we both were taken care of, even when the hospital was making mistakes (my husband didn't have any experience with hospitals).

My second birth was so different. I started contractions at 7:00 am on a Thursday and realized quite quickly that it was going a lot faster. At about 8 I called Heather to let her know that it was and she said that she was leaving. Well, at 8:45 am my son was born with my husband catching him. Heather was coaching him on speaker phone. She had gotten stuck in morning rush hour traffic! She was so great, keeping us calm and making sure that the baby was in good health.

I would totally recommend Heather and her partner, Kim Bradlee, for your delivery. I can only say great things about them. Heather definitely goes through all the reasons that she wouldn't do a home delivery during the initial meeting. And even if she didn't, that's something that every person deciding on a home birth should talk about.

Heather has an open house every first Thursday of the month for her past clients and prospective clients to meet her. Come to see what a great midwife she is and the great family of home births that she's created!

Maro
Massachusetts
Mommy to Colin, 3 1/2 yo, and Lucas, 14 mo.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts