Mothering Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a cookbook w/ a recipe for chocolate cake made w/ teff. I made it a few weeks ago and, although the taste was good, the texture was really gritty. Is that typical of teff? I'd like to use it, but not if it feels like a mouthful of sand.
Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Teff is a very small grain, I think it originated in Ethiopia.

I tried it as a cereal by itself, and mixed in with other grains for cereal. I too thought it was very gritty and just didn't like the taste (and I like a variety of grains). I read somewhere that there is some sort of traditional bread or pancake that is made from teff flour. Perhaps the flour is more palatable?

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by slightly crunchy
Teff is a very small grain, I think it originated in Ethiopia.

I tried it as a cereal by itself, and mixed in with other grains for cereal. I too thought it was very gritty and just didn't like the taste (and I like a variety of grains). I read somewhere that there is some sort of traditional bread or pancake that is made from teff flour. Perhaps the flour is more palatable?
Yes, teff is used to make the traditional Ethiopian bread "injera". Never had it, but my cookbook says it's the main source of protein for Ethiopians. Teff is also low/no gluten and high in iron. The cake I made *was* w/ teff flour, so apparently grinding it doesn't get rid of the gritty texture. I'll keep experimenting and let you know if I come up w/ anything good!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.