Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a few of these, and tried to give DS some the other day with steamed carrots in it, and he just waved it around like it was a rattle. I tried just putting it in his mouth for a second to let him know it was for eating, and he made a horrible face. I tried tasting it to see if maybe the mesh tasted funny, but it really just tasted like carrots, as I had squished a bit through the mesh already.

I wonder if it was a texture thing? He pretty much refused it, other than to wave it around.

Anyone else use these?

BTW, he LOOOOOOOVES carrots ususally.

·
Registered
2,905 Posts
I used them for my twins a few times, then gave up on them. I found them more useful for ice when they were teething.

Just a warning....DO NOT PUT BANANA IN THEM! It is harder then heck to clean out of them...even washing right away...I had to toss several because of this....and then everyone told me after the fact that bananas were hard to get out...lol

·
Registered
6,302 Posts
I'm using the mesh things pretty much exclusively right now. My son doesn't like foods that are mashed to such an extent that they're not a choking hazard - he refuses to eat them. But, anything that's not smashed to that extent, he ends up choking on. So, we're using the mesh feeders, which allows him to chew the food, and then get the (safe) bits through the mesh. It's our compromise with a 7 month old.
He's happy with it. I'm concerned that it will impact his willingness to eat foods that aren't in the feeder in the future, but that's probably just another example of me worrying over nothing.

·
Registered
5,293 Posts
we use them for fruit only - its hard to get fresh fruit into them when they dont have teeth. i put in ripe peach, pear, seedless watermelon, cantaloupe and mango chunks. i put frozen fruit in for teething. i have frozen banana and put it in, and yes its harder to get out than the others, but if you use warm/hot water right away it isnt so bad i dont think.

·
Registered
3,447 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by alegna View Post
I think they're nasty.

-Angela
i agree...but, the one saving grace of them, is to put an ice cube in them for teething. i wouldn't want to put food in there though.

·
Premium Member
4,587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by alegna View Post
I think they're nasty.

-Angela
Why?

·
Registered
7,279 Posts
My dd loved hers. I liked it because she only wanted to feed herself, but she didnt' have the physical skills yet, so the mesh feeders were great. I put fruits and even peas in there. I never had any problems with the bananas though. The first couple times I gave it to her, though, she waved it around just like what you're describing. I agree w/pp that it's great for ice when teething! Actually, I put cold pieces of cantaloupe and watermellon in there and also frozen peas, and she'd gnaw on them for a while and then eventually they'd thaw and mush through the net. I didn't use it once she got teeth, though, but by then she was pretty adept at feeding herself little chunks

·
Registered
507 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by janiecakes View Post
frozen breastmilk work really well in there.
I just bought some mesh feeders this week to try this! DD is only 4 mos but she IS teething, the doc confirmed my suspicion.

·
Premium Member
2,858 Posts
We thought it was especially useful for ice, and moderately useful for other things. DD actually still enjoys it occasionally (18 months) if she sees her younger cousin using it as well.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
They're fine....I use them for fruit (apples and pears) and ice. My son happily chomps away for a few minutes but he loves to throw them around as well. I get mighty tired of picking it up over and over and over again.

I don't find them nasty but I don't use a wide variety of food in them either. When he's done, I rinse it out in the sink and stick it in the dishwasher. No biggie.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.