Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a $250.00 Schwinn bike trailer that has a stroller attachment with the intention of using is solely as a stroller. I haven't unpacked it yet, and dh is telling me that it probably functions at its best as a bike trailer. Does anyone use their bike trailer as a stroller? Any problems with it? Is it practical? We just can't afford the $1,000 chariot jogger that we've seen. I plan to use it for our 7 month old and our 3 year old.

Thanks for your input!

·
Premium Member
19,789 Posts
I am not experienced in this, so take it how you will.

The biggest disadvantage to your plan (besides bulkiness and ease of manuverability) is that bike strollers tend not to have individual space for each child. They are also generally less adjustable.

There are a lot of tandem strollers out there for $250 or less. If you have access to craigslist or something similar there may be one for really cheap.

How often do you plan on using the stroller? How does your 3 year old view the stroller? You could be looking for very different strollers if you jog daily vs. once every few months to the zoo vs. shopping and expect both children to sleep in the stroller, kwim?

·
Registered
217 Posts
Have you given it a try yet?

We use our trailer almost always as a stroller for our 4 yr old and 1 yr old. I love it for going on trails. Its Much easier to push than our sit and stand. Also, the girls keep each other company and really don't have many problems with the sharing the same space.

My only complaint is that one of our front wheels wobbles
:

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
I used the bike trailer as a stroller when my daughter was small- pretty much constantly. I got is as a bike trailer, but when I discovered how well it worked as a stroller (and I could put in a bag or two of groceries too!) I used it far more than the stroller.

If you're planning to jog with it, a true jogging stroller might work better, but for general use, I loved my trailer/stroller. Admittedly however, the only way I'd consider jogging involves someone behind me with a gun.... biking was much less painful exercise .

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
I have a chariot that converts to a jogging stroller- it was a great jogging stroller for me, since my daughter actually rode in it (tried to climb out of other strollers). The downside was it was a little heavier than a regular stroller, the handlebar wasn't adjustable so my husband found pushing it backbreaking. The wheel was fixed, so it worked well for jogging/running, but I wouldn't use it as an "around town" stroller, because of it's size and maneuverability.

I think that different bike trailers have different wheel conversion kits, so it really depends on what you want and how they convert- I know people that use their Burley trailers as strollers, but they just have a little pivoting wheel on the front. Not something you could run with.

·
Premium Member
15,952 Posts
We use our Wike trailer as a stroller most of the time. I wouldn't load it up in the car and take it somewhere to use where space or easy steering would be needed. We use it for walks at night which works perfectly, especially when I end up with a child's bike draped over the top of it coming home. Running with it wouldn't be that pleasant and it does have a large wheel. A swivel wheel makes all the difference for a true jogging stroller.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.