Mothering Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How does it work? I'd love to get someone in here to teach math and language arts from a packaged curriculum but I'm thinking that would be outrageously expensive and I don't know anyone I can trade teaching subjects with. dd battles me mostly on these 2 (which I think are the most important)and its the reason I'm looking into getting home hospital teaching for dd but frankly the public school materials are terrible. Any idea what I could expect to pay to have someone come in 2 hours a day 3-4 days a week? I'm in So Cal.<br><br>
fwiw, I did look into private schools as an option due to small class size but there are no secular schools in the area and the 3 private schools are based on a religion I do not want dd being indoctrinated in.

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
i have funds that i can use for a tutor but have no idea on how to screen or find such a person. i'd love to have someone come in 2hrs/day twice a week, or even better, hire someone i could take ds to. i get stressed out about housework when we have service providers coming into the house.<br><br>
i think a tutor would be paid the same hourly rate as any other teacher wouldnt they?

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
In SoCal there lots of different private tutors, depending on how much experience and education they have the rates go from $20 an hour up past $100.<br><br>
It is probably better and cheaper to pick the tutor first and the curricula second. Instructional tutors will have a list of curricula that they are experinced with and can recommend. The tutor will probably want to assess the child before recommending anything and also before determining if the goals for instruction are realistic, what type of testing the parent wants/expects, etc. Also what kind of behavioral and homework requirements the tutor has, cancellation policy, etc.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I'm a private tutor in SoCal that works with HSers - not shilling for myself here, just providing some info as reference. I have a friend that exclusively tutors HSers as well. She charges $40/hr if you pay hourly; I charge $50-$60 (my rate is $60, but most of my students are referrals and I charge them the old rate their referral told them). Both of us work out deals with our regulars - she has a situation in which a group of HS kids got together and she serves as their primary teacher for all subjects. As a result, the parents are able to split the cost a bit - I think it works out to something like $500 or $600 a month per student, but there's 8 students and that's full time. The parents don't really teach anything anymore. I have a student who I teach 4 days a week and am basically his only teacher - I charge $400 a week which works out to $30 and change an hour since the work is regular, just to give you an idea of some of the costs. For 2 hrs a day, 3-4 days a week, if you could be flexible on the hours...I would probably charge you about $300 a week. You could probably find someone for $200 or so if they lived close or if you dropped off DD at their house to save them the mileage and gas.<br><br>
Most of my students come to me by referrals; the others I get from craigslist, either their posting a job, or my posting services available. When screening a tutor, the above posts are right to a degree - it depends how much say you want over the curriculum. I've gone both ways - parents know what they want and I teach it, or parents ask me to teach Algebra, and I design the curriculum. Expect to pay more if you have the tutor fashion the whole curriculum - not that the tutor will charge you extra for this, but that you should hire a more experienced tutor. You should be able to negotiate rates a little with HSers since they can meet during the day when other kids are in school.<br><br>
I will say that it's not necessary or sometimes even advisable to hire an accredited teacher - IME, they teach the individual like it's a group of one, not like an individual. I've found teachers as tutors to often be too goal- or curricula-focused and not on the child (I used to run a tutoring company, and we rarely hired teachers.) I would also, as part of your screening, have the tutor teach an hour (paid) to see their style, camaraderie, etc. Many many tutors are geniuses that can't communicate - especially when it comes to subjects like math, physics, etc. that get quite difficult. Make sure the tutor knows how to teach the easy stuff without being condescending.<br><br>
Feel free to PM me if you have other questions I might be able to help you with!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts