Mothering Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dd is 4 and a few weeks ago I posted about shutting her finger in the car door. Well about a week later her finger was all better. No scarring or anything. It has been two weeks since then and dd is starting to suck her fingers again. I had noticed before that she had stopped even when she went to sleep. Now she's getting back into it. Should I try to continue to stop her since she had gone two weeks w/o doing it? Or should I allow her to start up again and wonder if she will ever stop?

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Thanks, I really am not one to be the nagging mother over something so trivial. It is her source of comfort and she's not attached to anything else like a fav. doll or blanket. I was just hoping it was the end of her fingers sucking. I guess she will stop soon enough.

·
Registered
642 Posts
You aren't alone, my Dd, going on 4 is a very devoted thumb sucker. Sure I do have a slight, worry, only slight that it may cause damage to her teeth but other than that I don't really feel it is my place to do anything...it's her thumb and her business. It
: me when people comment on how I should be trying to break her of it as I stated I don't feel I have the right to tell her what she can and can't do with her own body, I wish more people understood me though.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Both my kids suck the middle finger and ring finger of their right hands and they can suck away until they decide to stop.

My father always very proudly tells the tale of how he got my eldest brother to stop sucking his thumb - by beating him with a piece of plastic piping when he was about 4 .. lucky for me I never sucked my thumb! Yickes ... My stomach just turns thinking about that story.

I raise my children respecting them as individuals.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Our ds 4.5 sucks his thumb on occassion. His big sister still does from time to time, mostly when she's sleeping (she's 7). We're concerned about her upper teeth (she sucks really hard when she's out and we can hear her down the hall) because she also has a considerable overbite (nearly 8 mm). But unfortunately she's probably going to need braces anyway so we've given up trying to encourage her to stop/find an alternative that won't affect her teeth. My dm said I sucked my thumb when I slept until I was nearly 8 and then just stopped for no apparent reason. I dunno, beyond the orthodenture concerns we don't really worry about sucking on fingers too much.

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
I don't know how much I'd worry about teeth in relation to thumb sucking, to be honest ...

I'm 26, and haven't stopped since 2 days old.

the only trouble I've ever had with my teeth is very soft enamel (runs in the family. joy.) , and broken wisdom teeth from a tongue piercing i used to bite a lot.

·
Registered
6,832 Posts
my son will be 4 in a month and still sucks his thumb when he sleeps.

i'm not worried (anymore). we do, however, discourage thumb sucking when it's not sleepy time... but when he's going to sleep (bedtime or naps) we don't restrict it.

he relaxes, then sucks his thumb until he's almost all the way asleep, then it drops out of his mouth ~ all in all, not even an hour of thumb sucking occurs at a time.

i've known people my age who sucked their thumbs well into their teen years... and had absolutely no problems.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.