Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We're moving at the end of this week. We just got a call from the landlord that they have changed their policies and will no longer accept pets (no yards for the animals....really not fair to the dogs/pets). We were planning on taking the one we brought with us. DH's exwife was going to take hers back that she left back in Dec. She has changed her mind as well.
We need to get these dogs to a good home! I called the Humane Society and they do put dogs down if they aren't adopted. We aren't ok with that. The only other place we can take them has an even higher rate of putting animals down than the Humane Soceity does.

Would someone want to take a dog and love them?
They are really well behaved. One is an older Rottweiler mix (I think DH said lab). He's mellow....just relaxes you know?

The other is a younger (like 3 or 4 years old) something or other.
DH was told he was a Harlequin Dane but I googled and that is sooo not this dog!
He's playful and likes lots of attention and play time.

Please, we're desperate here. We don't want to send them somewhere they are likely to be put down and as much as I would like to I don't want to just place an ad on Craigslist. Anyone can say they are a good and loving home you know?
:

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Craigslist can work, actually.. if you are willing to do some serious footwork. I would post them in the pet's section for an adoption fee, or in the free section. The important thing... Meet with the people. Have them meet the dogs at your home. See how your family feels about them, and how they feel about the dogs. Trust your gut. If it is free to a good home, make sure it is a GOOD HOME! Also, you can request that they pre-pay for a vet visit or for training, etc before they take the dogs...

If it gets past this point, delever the dogs to the new family's home. Seeming is different than being, and people can talk a good talk. If they are not willing for you to do a casual, non invasive home check, then they are not the right home.

Come to their home. See where the dogs will sleep, where they will play, and how the home feels.

If it passes this point, plan a slumber party. A night or two with the dogs with the new family, knowing that if it is not feeling right after that point, the dogs come back to you.

It is okay to ask for references; if they rent, ask for the landlord's number and find out if they can have the dogs. If they have pets, ask for a vet reference.

Your responsibility; make sure both dogs are spayed/neutered. (Or have the new owners pre-pay for the vet visits for both to have this done) Provide the family with your contact information, so that in the future they can get ahold of you instead of taking the dogs to the pound if their situation changes, etc. You can even make a contract stating that they should not sell/give away the dogs without contacting you first.

Also, try looking at petfinder.com for rescues in Oregon/Washington. See if one of these responsible rescues can take the dogs, or list them and screen adopters for you.

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
I learned from a former student who worked with a dalmation rescue group to NEVER post an animal for free. Always ask for a minimal fee (over $30). This will deter people who are collecting animals to sell to research facilities for testing since the fee is more than they would be getting per animal. Once you meet the folks and decide that they are alright, you don't have to accept the fee. She told me a story about people that would have you absolutely convinced that they were going to give the animal a good home, only to find out that they had gone around to 8 different places that had "free to good home" ads and told the same story. The pp tips about checking up on people are great, too.

I hope you're able to find something! Alot of folks in our area have found great homes for pets through the freecycle group.

Kristen

·
Registered
3,244 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by kristenok18
I learned from a former student who worked with a dalmation rescue group to NEVER post an animal for free. Always ask for a minimal fee (over $30).

Kristen

I agree...BUT ask them to donate the "adoption" fee to a local shelter or other animal agency you know who could use the help. That way they know you're serious about wanting a good home for them and that you aren't trying to just make some money on the whole situation...plus you all win. The dogs get a good home, a local agency gets a donation, and you get your dogs adopted out. Good luck...I hope they find a good home! It's hard to part w/ our animal friends...I feel your pain!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts