Mothering Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We saw our DS's developmental pediatrician yesterday. I'm a bit annoyed because she included dyspraxia in her diagnosis. When I questioned her on it, she said it was based on previous findings. From everything I've been able to read, he doesn't have dyspraxia. I feel like I must be missing something.<br><br>
If your child has dyspraxia, does he/she have all the symptoms? One or two?<br><br>
Thanks!

·
Registered
347 Posts
My son has dyspraxia as part of his SPD dx. And no, he does not have all the symptoms. In fact, he is not particularly "clumsy". He met his gross motor skills on time. Where you see it with him is when there is more than one step to something. For instance, he can dribble a basketball and he can run, but he is a bit "off" when he tries to do both and add shooting a layup to that and forget it. He also has trouble following multi-step directions and doing things that require a lot of balance/ dexterity. For instance, I have noticed at the playground his younger sister (and most other kids) are much more adept than him at climbing on top of things, flipping around bars, etc. He also has trouble with more complex imaginary play. We were told this is due to motor planning issues.<br><br>
However, if he is riding his bike, playing tag, etc he looks just like other kids.<br><br>
Hope that helps.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
KME - that helps tremendously!! Thank you so much. I went through the list of signs of dyspraxia and kept saying "no, that's not him... okay, a little bit.... yes..... only sometimes". My DS is not at all clumsy either. He is very athletic as well and hit all his physical milestones.<br><br>
Thanks again!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts