Mothering Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am exclusively BF my DS at 7 mo now. I am also expecting in late Jan. My DS won't take food now (which I'm great with) but I read on kellymom.com that while pregnant the milk supply decreases due to homones. How do I know when I need to start supplementing with solids (I'd like to wait a year)? What if he's not ready to eat food but my supply is low...is my only other option to formula feed?

·
Registered
43,705 Posts
I'd follow the baby for clues of hunger. <i>MOST</i> babies are ready for solids long before a year of age, though many continue to nurse for most of their nutrition at that point.<br><br>
I can tell you my own experience- I didn't supplement Leah when I was pg with Hannah, and Leah got very skinny during my pg. By the time Hannah was 2 weeks old, Leah had definitely filled out. In retrospect, I probably should have supplemented her diet with some sort of milk or formula, but, as I said, she filled out quickly after her sister's birth.<br><br>
How far apart will your babies be? Mine are 16.5 month apart. If your kids are closer in age than that, there's a higher chance that you'll need to supplement. You could try to get donated breast milk, use commercial formula, or make your own formula- I know I've seen recipes on the web for goat milk formula or raw milk formula. I've never bought formula so I've never really investigated the alternatives. My gut instinct would be to use a commercial formula for a baby under a year old, or for a toddler who wasn't particularly interested in solids yet.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My DC will be 15 mo apart. Right now my DS gags when I try to give him any type of food. I just hope he will be ready for food if I need to supplement him. Thanks for your response.

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Every mom's body is different. There are moms on here that said that they didn't lose their milk, and some that did. Everyone is different, and you will just have to wait and see what happens with you and your dc.<br><br>
My experience - My ds was 27 months old when I got pregnant. My milk supply started dip in my 3rd month and in my 4th month my milk pretty much all dried up. He was still happy to nurse though...BUT....he was much older than your dc and even though bm was a big part of his diet....he was eating enough solids and other liquids that it didn't affect him nutritionally. He was nursing soley for comfort at that point. My colostrum came in in my 6th month and he weaned in my 8th month at 33 months old.<br><br>
I think you just need to be VERY mindful of your supply and keep encouraging your dc to nurse to try and keep your supply up. But if it appears that your supply is diminishing and this is his SOLE source of nutrition you are either going to have to supplement with solids or formula or both, depending on how much solids he eats. Personally I would opt for the solids...but that's a personal decsion. You just need to make sure that your child's nutritional needs are being met. He'll probably let you know what he needs.

·
Premium Member
19,789 Posts
Congrats on your new pregnancy.<br><br>
I would not *change* anything right now (notice I don't say "I would not worry" for once, lol). I would be more likely to weigh DS monthly and make sure that if he is not gaining weight, he is at least not loosing it (when he starts moving he may hit a weight plateu anyway).<br><br>
Also, when you do offer foods I would consider ones that were more calorie and nutrient dense (avacado, sweet potato, etc...) than traditional first foods--- he will probably need the calories.<br><br>
I have known people who have not had any effects on their milk supply during preganancy, and, from my experience they seem to have become pg in the 2nd half of their baby's first year. If you notice your supply plummet, or any signs that DS is not getting enough to eat you will need to suppliment with formula (assuming you can not get donate bmilk)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts