Mothering Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
43,705 Posts
I'd follow the baby for clues of hunger. MOST babies are ready for solids long before a year of age, though many continue to nurse for most of their nutrition at that point.

I can tell you my own experience- I didn't supplement Leah when I was pg with Hannah, and Leah got very skinny during my pg. By the time Hannah was 2 weeks old, Leah had definitely filled out. In retrospect, I probably should have supplemented her diet with some sort of milk or formula, but, as I said, she filled out quickly after her sister's birth.

How far apart will your babies be? Mine are 16.5 month apart. If your kids are closer in age than that, there's a higher chance that you'll need to supplement. You could try to get donated breast milk, use commercial formula, or make your own formula- I know I've seen recipes on the web for goat milk formula or raw milk formula. I've never bought formula so I've never really investigated the alternatives. My gut instinct would be to use a commercial formula for a baby under a year old, or for a toddler who wasn't particularly interested in solids yet.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.