Mothering Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3,972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For PCA services? We get PCA hours for our son but we just found out (via our new PCA case handler) that IADLs were not used and only ADLs. I didn't even know what IADLs were until she told me. What we use our PCA hours for primarily would BE IADL type stuff! (participating in the community) We send our PCA to his social therapy groups and activities in the community that he otherwise could not participate in. The person doing the assessment never even explained them or mentioned them or asked! And, like everything else related to Autism, no one tells you unless you specifically ask. Ugh! From what we are told, the person doing the assessment never gives these hours while the ones in all the other neighboring areas do it without question. I really don't think she understands Autism period.<br><br>
So we should have more hours for these activities instead of using our regular hours for them. Its past the 30 days to appeal but our PCA case handler told me we can still appeal anyways if we write a really good letter explaining why we need the IADL hours and use etc. Has anyone written an appeal letter? Any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
I have written appeals for MCD, but not for PCA hours. I started by calling the MCD ombudsman for my state (located o the state MCD website. They were able to help me and tell me what I was entitled to, they also gave me a resource of someone who volunteered to help with appeals. It turned out not to be necessary. I asked for a new assessment person and they granted that to me. I would also get the agency who supplied the aide to write a letter explaining the services and what is included, as well as a letter from your doc explaining why the hours are needed.<br><br>
Good Luck!!!!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts