Mothering Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've posted before about the funk in his fanny. I did everything for his dipes to strip, and ended up throwing them away. I've replaced and every once in a while after he poos I get a whiff of the funk. I thought it might be my imagination, then I got some new SB aio's and I washed them 4-5 times before using, as recommended, and his first where was a bm AND I COULD SMELL THE FUNK!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:
: Not nearly as potent, not nearly, but OMG. What in the heck?!

Has anyone EVER experienced this?

I use Tide - I have a front loader - We have hard water.

So I was wondering, could my babes poo be having a "chemical reaction" to the hard water or the Tide?

Any chemists?

ANYONE?

·
Registered
895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, let me clarify "funk". I'ts a nice way of saying that the diaper smell was that of a dead rotten animal. Seriously. Not poop smell. But yes, you are correct, I have never smelled a bm similar to roses. I felt telling the story again would be painstaking for me, and reduntent for others.

·
Registered
6,047 Posts
Hard water - do you have a high sulfer content in your water ? That can make cloth smell to high heaven the moment it gets damp.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Ok

We have super hard water as well, and Calgon helped a little bit. (Do you have a well, or are you on city?). I, basically, resorted to bleaching my workhorse diapers once a week and saved my "show-off" ones for just outings so there wasn't that much of a build-up. Line drying did help, I'd keep them on the line even overnight. I also invested in only quick-dry items. I tried using the Dawn dish detergent, that helped as well, I just had to rinse (literally) about 8xs.

·
Registered
895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oh my, I'm glad you took that the way I meant it. I read it again and it sounded bad. Sorry. I was trying to be funny.

What does workhorse mean? What does sulfer do?

You know, I'm starting to think it is a reaction. I don't know why I didn't think of this before, but my 6 wk old uses cloth and there is no smell. It is the weirdest thing. Is there some kind of bacteria in poo that reacts? with sulfer?

·
Registered
14 Posts
More detergent??

We were having major funky stink issues. I tried gobs of differen detergents, more rinse cycles, stripping, etc. Turns out I needed more detergent. When from 2-3 tablespoons to about 1/3 of a cup. I still have a few suds after the second wash (sans detergent), but zero stink issues. And this is with toddler pee/poop.

·
Registered
6,047 Posts
Sulfer content in the water gives it that rotten-egg smell. You'd likely know it if this was the issue, as you'd smell it coming out of your taps, toilet, washing machine, shower, dishwasher, etc.

Aside from that - poo just reeks sometimes, and that is more likely to be a personal issue (diet, hormones, gut flora, etc) than a washing issue. In which case, use a bit more detergent to ensure there is NOT poo left on the cloth, maybe use a water softener (Calgon) so things get 'cleaner', dry outside if you have the space (the sun is a natural bleach and deoderizer).

Good luck.

·
Registered
55 Posts
You really shouldn't bleach unless you absolutely have to. Even then, add only a tiny amount. You probably do have hard water, so definitely use Calgon. If you use Tide, you should really use Tide Free & Clear. Check out http://www.pinstripesandpolkadots.co...entchoices.htm They have a list of what detergents are better for cloth diapering. It really sounds like you have a buildup issue and that can happen really fast when you use the wrong detergent. I'm limited on what I can find over here in Germany, so I ordered some Charlie's Soap and I couldn't be happier with it. I don't even have to use the Calgon anymore.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by kellid
Well, let me clarify "funk". I'ts a nice way of saying that the diaper smell was that of a dead rotten animal. Seriously. Not poop smell. But yes, you are correct, I have never smelled a bm similar to roses. I felt telling the story again would be painstaking for me, and reduntent for others.

...I am sorry I just had to laugh...One time my younger sister told me she though i had a dead mouse or something in the house...We moved around to look for it...It was my son's bum

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.