Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

My DS was playing in the living room on Saturday night, jumping around, and hit his mouth on the arm of a chair. There was some blood but it stopped pretty quickly. The second incisor seemed fine, not loose at all, but the gum above it appeared to have a cut or laceration, which we guessed was where the blood had come from. After a while he said it stopped hurting but refused to eat or drink anything at all for the rest of the night. He slept through the night.

Sunday morning he was able to eat and drink normally and said he didn't have any pain. The cut on his gum appeared to have scabbed over and was a little swollen. The tooth appeared fine. We thought maybe it had been pushed up into his gum a little, but it was the same length as the one on the other side. The dentist couldn't see us, it being Sunday, but told us to call the next day.

Monday morning the gum appeared almost completely healed and wasn't swollen anymore. We didn't call the dentist.
:

Today he seems to be completely healed. We are so tempted to let this go. Is there a chance that even though there is no pain and it looks normal, that something bad could have happened that would damage his permanent tooth later?

TIA!

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
My dd slipped on the bathroom floor when she was 2, she hit her front left tooth and it killed it. It turned light grey and stopped growing. We didn't go to a dentist at the time, but later on he said that it was fine and would come out eventually and a permanent tooth would come in. 4.5 years later its still hanging in there. It is extremely loose and doesn't have a long root, if any at all, but its so short we can't pull it out. It has turned almost completely sideways... its really weird.
IMO, I'd have it looked at especially if it turns grey or brown.
My brother had it happen to both front teeth as a kid, and they are fine though.

·
Premium Member
3,945 Posts
That sounds exactly like what happened to DD. Hers started to darken months later, so we took her in to a ped. dentist to have a look-see. Basically they said that the tooth may die, and she could get an infection in the gumline that would necessitate removing the tooth immediately. They also said it may just hang in there as is, darken a little but never die completely, never give her any issues until it falls out when she's older. We were told not to worry about it but to get her in ASAP if she complains of sensitivity or if we see any kind of sore or infection beginning at her gumline.

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3pink1blue View Post
OP, and all the PP's, yall are great mommas. Cause the thought of bringing my kid to the dentist for that wouldn't even cross my mind.
:
I just hate to think that it could mess up a permant FRONT tooth. I mean, thats the first thing you see when you talk to someone!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.