Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I've been reading Monique's postpartum threads to see if anyone has encountered this issue (by the way, Congrats to Monique on getting K. to stay on the b! That is great and must be a relief to you).

I was wondering if anyone else here is having issues with spit up with their newborn.

My sweet boy is a mellow fellow who has been beyond easy (from what I hear from friends, he is my first). His only "issue" is that he spits up A LOT. Thankfully it does not cause him pain and seems to just be spit up--not reflux or projectile vomiting. However, I just feel awful when he loses all that milk ( I know that it looks like a lot more than it is...but still)and gets his neck "washed" in milk...And I'm not going to lie, it would be nice not to have to change his clothes so often!!!

I have tried going to one-breast feeding and I think it's helping, but I wonder if anyone else is experiencing this. I also have put his bassinett at an angle, use the bounce chair A LOT to keep him upright, and try to hold him upright after feeding at least 10 minutes before putting him in either the bounce seat, or in the angled bassinett... The biggest spit up issues seem to happen after his first morning feeding (the one right before we "get up for the day"), so I'm wondering if it has to do with moving him around, changing after this feeding. I don't think it's that the milk is too fast or full, bc as the day goes on the spit up lessens...and the time btw feedings is pretty even thru.out the day---I'm feeding on demand, but he usually goes about 2.5-3 hours. Any advice is welcome!! Thanks in advance.

Glad everyone seems to be doing well.

R

· Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi,

I'm not that great at other holds. I do the cradle hold, but I make sure that his head is quite a bit higher than his body by propping my elbow up on the pillow and then using my knee to prop the pillow even higher. I have no idea how to hold him in a sitting position (one person rec'd this) while I'm breastfeeding (he is so small, with limited neck control right now).

Thx.

R

· Registered
1,257 Posts
Both of my boys were big time spitters, the younger one actually was dx with reflux and on meds for the first 2 yrs (yes, he was still spitting up over the age of one!) Luckily, E isn't too spitty yet. I hardly have to change her clothes! Ha ha ha

You are following the tips for reflux prevention so far: elevate head of sleeping place, hold upright after feedings, keep head higher than body while feeding. The only other one I can think of is that reflux babies shouldn't be bumper by patting on the back, you should gently rub their back instead as the patting makes a more forceful burp & launches the contents.

Try working on the football hold so that his head can be more upright while feeding.

Getting spit up on isn't fun for either of you! Hopefully his doesn't last too long.

· Registered
15,055 Posts
dd spits up more if we do an over the shoulder burp or move her from laying to upright within 20 minutes or so of eating. She mostly stays laying down, back or sides.

· Registered
2,008 Posts
Kendall has been spitting up after feedings today but their really watery, like extra slobber. I totally forgot about elevating his head when he sleeps like I did in the hospital. I need to try that tonight.

Oh thanks Megan. I am relieved. We're slowly but surely getting there.

· Registered
2,017 Posts
yes, actually today we had a messy one! Dh is so good at burping him so every time we can I nurse then he goes straight to daddy for burping time
I do a lot of laying down since we nurse while we cosleep. I am also planning to take him to the chiro, I know he needs an adjustment- pretty sure.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.