Mothering Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm married to an Aussie man and we live in the US. When our kids were young they were breastfed exclusivly for 6 months and never had formula..they weaned around 1 year old. We co-slept with them and now they sleep in the same room together. We try to eat organic, locally grown as best we can. How common is this in Aus? I think my in-laws think this is very strange..especially the co-sleeping and we also never did CIO. CIO is "normal" to them and they think this is just the way it should be. My nerves can't handle hearing children scream themselves to sleep..but the just go about their regular routine as if nothing is amis and I guess it's not. Is this just my family (in-laws) or is this more common in Aus? They spank the kids on a regular basis as the preferred form of punishment and we don't spank at all. Is this somewhat typical for mainstream parenting in Aus? ( I know CIO is pretty common in the US but I didn't know it was there too) They are wonderful people and I love his family and as we only see them sporadicaly we never talk about parenting cause that's just a big can of worms and we want to enjoy being with them whenever we get the chance.

·
Registered
200 Posts
From my point of view I feel alone. I feel like I should feel guilty for the way i do things.
There isn't much support here for doing things naturally.
Co-sleeping is frowned upon, as is bf past 6mths by some, sposies are the norm, organic is seen as weird...you get the picture.
Not sure if its the same in mainstream Australia but here yes!
My mil is an advocate for co=sleeping but it took a while for mum to get the idea. My mil doesn't get bf though - she makes fun of baby wanting the tit.
My mum is more westernised than my mil i think. My mil is from NZ, my mum is anglosaxon Aussie.

·
Registered
394 Posts
We in cow country now folks. hick. The two main income producers are cattle and timber. Where you gotta have a really big bull bar to run down those pesky kangaroos and heaps of aerials on your 4wd. sorry where was I...
CIO is still fairly common, spanking is still prevalent, formula is sadly still first choice by most, although I have only had one negative comment about my choice to let dd self wean, I do get the odd comment about feeding her while walking around the supermarket. but out of my sons' friends (I know their parents) circumcision is the minority, food choices are poor, the guy on the radio the other night was saying Australia is the only country where childhood obesity is worse than adult obesity. chemical use on produce goes by the theory the more the better. but the tables are ever so slowly turning.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have not lived in Aus. for 10 yearsbut got pregnant as soon as I moved here I had never heard of AP, GD or anything like that but what I considered normal babycare was cloth diapers, breastfeeding and CIO to a point.I did end up co-sleeping because itwas so much easier but I did not know that it had a name. Mainstream parenting in Australia is basically the same as here spanking is considered normal, I think most people don't realise there are alternatives. As far as organic foods I remeber living in the country as a child and we always had fresh fruit and vegetables form our own garden or local farms, don't know if they were organic, fresh eggs and meat butchered by the town butcher. We only went shopping "in town" about once a month and were pretty self-sufficent. I would love to get back to that.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi eastender. It is true in Tasmania that most of the food we ate when visiting family is locally grown..that is pretty neat. One of my husbands cousins grows potatoes and they don't eat those potatoes because they are so heavily sprayed..I think they know what stuff is going to corporate food and what is for the locals. Interesting. I scramble here in GA to get fresh farm food..it takes alot of effort. I think our family in Aus is really "old school" compared to others which is why AP style parenting was so shocking to them. (although cloth diapers are used some) I grew up being spanked on a regular basis...and I was determined not to do that....it just made me such an angry person. It's funny now too, because my Dad would just be horrified if I spanked my kids. Live and learn! I suppose my kids are going to wonder why I did certain things and change when they are parents too.
You are going to enjoying life so much once you get back!

·
Registered
200 Posts
Where is cloth sold in the US?
Here they have an aisle devoted disposables and if you are lucky you will see a snappi for sale. The Big W has fluffies and flats. Luckily I found mcn available online and forums like this. It just doesn't seem an option for most new parents to put their baby in cloth.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have not met one person in West Virginia that uses cloth. Everything is about convenience here, use it once and throw it away. My nappy changing days are over but I do try to live as naturally as I can, my problem is that I am kind of shy and don't like to stand out in the crowd. Around here anything out of the normal consumerist ways is seen as weird. So although I am a little crunchy compared to my friends and neighbors, I am nowhere near as crunchy as I would like to be. I am hoping that will change once we get back to Tasmania, I know in Hobart it is a pretty diverse area and there are a lot of different cultures and lifestyles (compared to WV where everyone is either a yuppie or a hillbilly). So I think I will fit in better. My poor husband is in for a culture shock though. He is definately in the hillbilly/******* catergory! I am sorry I got a bit off topic here not really sure what I am trying to say, just feels good to write it down though.
Donna.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I find it intersting. Thankyou eastender. I was getting the impression things are much more diverse in the US.
I get judged for my choices here though at least i am still free to parent the way I wish. Just don't mention you don't vax...

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I live in a very big city..too big for my liking. There was once a shop that sold cloth diapers and all that went with it..plus natural baby clothing...unfortunatly it went out of business. When I was a baby there were still cloth diaper services, I don't even know if they have this service anymore. I live in the south where many people think spanking and CIO are "good" for the baby. I don't get it. I do live in a big city though so there are quite a few La Leche league meetings and you tend to meet similar minded people there. When my kids were little we lived in a neighborhood with lots of asians and they all co-sleep or have the crib next too their bed...so I didn't feel all alone with that. I was born in 70 and it seems here that almost all kids born in the 70's were bottle fed. All the Moms said they "couldn't" bf. I think things are at least a little better with that these days. Sounds like things are on a similar trend in Aus..except in Aus cloth diaper use seems much more prevelant than here.

·
Registered
2 Posts
AP is still uncommon in Australia, however I think things are changing. CC/CIO seems to becoming more and more unpopular. I think as far as breastfeeding in public and extended breastfeeding goes, we are pretty progressive actually, compared with some other countries. We have laws stating it's illegal to discriminate against a woman breastfeeding in public. There is talk of making smacking illegal (which I am all for). Most of the mum I know use cloth nappies, however I dont think it's common outside of AP circles-*however* I'm noticing lots of mainstreamers from parenting sites I visit are into cloth and it seems more of a consumer trend, a fashion thing almost. Organic food is becoming pretty mainstream too-mainstream yuppie more to the point, it's so expensive many "poorer" people like myself cannot afford to eat wholely organic.There are "boutique" organic food stores popping up all over Melbourne. Non vaxing is seen as "weird" and even dangerous by the mainstream majority, however it's illegal to discriminate against non vaxers here, so a child cant be denyed access to childcare/kinder/school on the basis of not being vaccinated.

I think AP is slowly becomng more mainstream here

·
Registered
172 Posts
^agree.
i know i see alot of babywearing out and about, as well as BFing, and i know quite a few co-sleepers and one HS family. (mind you i don't know many families)
especially in the inner city areas, out of the 'burbs, i see more babywearing mamas than pram-pushers.
Melbourne's got a big alternative lifestyle following, as liam'smama says, organic suppliers everywhere etc..

i'd really like to find more AP resources/groups in Melbourne though; right now it looks like i'd be a totally lone APer, esp as my social circle's extremely conservative/mainstream.
(Liam'smama: i'm gonna look into your link. i live by Chadstone.)

·
Registered
200 Posts
I am in Melbourne and even though things are changing I still feel out of the circle. I am not trying to not be mainstream - i am just trying to do what is best for my family and trust my own instincts. My only support really comes from the net where i don't feel so alone. I don't know any support groups. I don't know anyone who uses cloth or a sling. My biggest suprise is my mum amd my hubby following my lead so to speak - when I thought they would judge me and say I am silly for my choices as a mother. So in that way I do have some suppiort which I am indeed grateful.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I live in rural NSW, but was still in the big smoke when I had DD.
Lots of BF and prams in the city and organic freely available, lots of bottles and prams in the country!
Most women I know use cloth at home, with most of those using disposable at night.
Circing is rare.
It depends who you mix with, our ABA group is (obviously) BF, but mostly vaxing, more slinging than prams, very few CIO
Steiner playgroup is (suprisingly) less BF but few vaxing, lots of slings, vego organic etc
At the shops, 4yo in prams chugging chocmilk or coke in a bottle.
One thing though in Oz, the term AP isn't well known even if someone is what would be classed as AP here on mothering. So searching for "an AP group" would be difficult I would say
Vax is by choice but child care benefit and maternity immunisation payment depend on it being up to date (it is not well known about getting an objection form signed and still get payments)
mama naturale have you tried your local ABA group?

Louise

·
Registered
200 Posts
I have heard of ABA meetings in my area but haven't been to one.
My biggest struggle is choosing not to drive and having young children.
There is the melbourne urban spawl.
I just had alook at the link Melb Attachment Group Liam'smama. And I live closest to sunbury but that is still a drive!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Good luck finding a group to suit.

I know it's scarry to do , but if you contact your local ABA group leader they may be able to get someone to give you a lift to a meeting ( I give lifts and at my Sydney group that often happened too). Then you're walking in with someone too! Also their meeting maybe at a central location, near library or shops or pool that you go to already. Some of our meetings are at the park.

Louise

·
Registered
200 Posts
Louise - not sure I would be able to get a lift with my tribe but if only I could convince hubby might be good all of us go!
I live in Glenroy.
I got two pouches yesterday. One for me and one for hubby. Not sure if hubby isimpressed but I said it takes practice. I like it esp compared to carrying my 1 year old and trying to hang out the washing.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.