Mothering Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am sure this has been asked before but I couldn't find it in your archives. I have a few questions for those of you who CD and live in an apartment building. I hear a lot of moms talk about doing all kinds of various soaks/washes/rinses, etc that I don't think I could do (without spending a lot of money) in the apartment laundromat. I'll be using prefolds..

1. do your diapers get pretty clean even with one wash/rinse/spin?
2. does anybody hang their diapers on their balcony, patio, or in the apartment to save on the cost of drying?
3. does anyone use those small (but not too small) portable washing machines that can hook up to your bathroom sink? (they cost anywhere from 200-400) If so, do they get the diapers clean enough for you? Do you feel this has saved you money? (our water and electric is included in the rent).

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,791 Posts
I dont live in an apt but wanted to give you another idea. If you keep a wet pail for poopy diapers and let them soak in there as you take them off the baby until you are ready to go wash then one wash/rinse cycle should get everything perfectly clean.

Good luck!

·
Registered
6,047 Posts
We live in an apartment.

For a long time I rinsed and soaked our diapers in the tub, then rung them out and took them to the laundry room for a hot wash - only once.

I brought them upstairs to dry - using the balcony until the management said no more clothing racks on the balconies (GRRRR !!!!)

Then I moved on to hand-washing - in the tub - wash with a plunger, then rinse rinse rinse. Hang dry still.

Now - we have a full-sized washer in our kitchen ! I LOVE it

But I could get by without it.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I live in an apt. and the biggest drag is hauling the dipes to the laundry. I have thought at least a hundred times about getting a big wagon, but for some reason still haven't. I do at least two full cycles. I used to do a cold wash/cold rinse no detergent then a hot wash w/ detergent & cold rinse but now I do a hot wash w/detergent cold rinse & hot wash/cold rinse no detergent and tto & or lavendar oil. We had some major stink a month back and are just starting to get a handle on a new detergent and wash routine. However, I don't think I'd feel like my dipes were ok with just one wash/rinse. We have hard water so the extra cycle makes me feel better about rinsing any residual detergent.

I do use the sun, but not necessarily to save $. I use it for the stain removing quality! With CPF's your drying shouldn't take too long. I have used Kissaluvs, SOS and FF Sleeptights that take forever to dry. When the rest of the dipes are done and they are not, I just hang them outside or in the bathroom to finish.

I have thought about a portable washer, but honestly, with our limited space, I think it would be more trouble than it's worth. However, if you've got space for it, I'd at least look into it!

Oh, and our laundry room washers have no ability to select just a "rinse" or an "extra rinse" or adjust water level. That kinda sucks but we manage.

·
Registered
6,262 Posts
I want to suggest using the mini shower on your poopy dipes before pailing them...that way there is no solid waste going in with your laundry and they've been nicely pre-rinsed before you spend any coins at the laundromat.

·
Premium Member
5,038 Posts
We live in an apt. too!

I just make sure to rinse all the poop out before the diaper goes in the pail. That way, I only need to put the diapers through one cycle.
So, here's my system:

- rinse all poopy diapers in toilet and sink
- store all dirty diapers in a dry pail with reusable liner
- empty full pail into TWO washers, add the pail liner to one of the washers
- use a hot wash and a little (powder--for some reason works better for us) detergent
- put all the diapers into ONE dryer for one hot cycle
- hang any diapers that are still damp up to dry on a rack inside our apt.

I've tried to just hang the diapers to dry without any dryer time, but they turned out really stiff and rough.

HTH!

Lex

·
Registered
6,777 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by LizaBear
Then I moved on to hand-washing - in the tub - wash with a plunger, then rinse rinse rinse. Hang dry still.
Good idea! Thanks for that. I've never been able to find a wash board (not that I've tried too hard) and I've wanted to be prepared to do laundry by hand just in case. Now I have a trick up my sleeve.

·
Registered
7,439 Posts
i wash all my diapers in the coin-op downstairs and have rarely had a problem with just one cycle. i got a minishower to hook to my toilet a month or so ago, and that has really made my life easier. as for drying, i don't have a place to hang them (no balcony), so i run them through a few dryer cycles. if something needs to be sunned, i put it on my car dash board (people must think i'm *really* strange :LOL). i have a friend who had one of those portable washers and she loved it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.