Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am on a new quest to eat better myself and provide good food for my DH and DS. I do, of course have weaknesses, one of which is a brownie mix now and then. I've been known to eat the whole pan. Only once while pregnant!<br><br>
My question is: I've been replacing the oil called for in the brownie mix with applesauce and I'm wondering how much of a difference this makes fat-wise. Anyone know this information?

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Can't tell you exactly b/c it would depend on the recipe, but I can tell you it will be a HUGE difference.<br><br>
1/4c oil = 55 g fat<br><br>
1/4 c applesauce = 0 g fat

·
Registered
11,527 Posts
I'm also a big brownie lover. My favorite are the Duncan Hines Family Style Brownies. They give a reduced fat alternative on the box where instead of using 2-3 eggs, 1/4 c water and 1/2 c oil you use 1 large egg, 2 tbsp water and 1/3 c unsweetened applesauce. Cooked the regular way per serving (1/20 of the product) there are 7g total fat, 1.5 of that saturated, 3g polyunstaurated. 1.5 monounsaturated (using veg oil). For the low fat version there are 2.5 g fat, 0.5g saturated. 0.5g polyunsaturated and 1g monounsaturated. Calories are reduced from 150 to 130, calories from fat 60 to 20. Cholestrol is cut in half from 20 mg to 10 mg. Sodium, carbohydrate and sugars do rise though 110mg to 110mg, 21g to 24g and 15g to 18g, respectively.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
I have tried No Pudge brownies--you can make one at a time in the microwave<br><br>
it uses yogurt--I use yogurt more in baking than applesauce because the texture is better in the final product--it's equal 1/2 c oil calls for 1/2 c plain (ff) yogurt<br><br>
hth

·
Banned
503 Posts
Just my two cents on baking and fat. Whenever eating grain products, there should be a moderate amount of fat to go with it. This is because the carbs burn really fast otherwise and can cause problems with the bloodsugar. The fat ensures that the sugars are being released slowly into the blood-stream.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts