Mothering Forum banner

1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I just wanted to start a thread where we could post any appointment updates, whatever they're nature or timing. I'd love to hear updates!

Afm - nuchal scan last Thursday, and I got my DNA abnormalities testing back (important to me as I'm 40) all clear, and from the detailed scan we saw such detail! (4 chambers of the heart pumping, bladder, kidneys, brain quadrants, spinal cord, face skeleton and nasal bone, even feet and hands) it was amazing to know they are both developing perfectly. They made a guess re the sex but it's not accurate yet do I'll wait till it is to share.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Very exciting!!
I only just had my first prenatal on the 10th at just over 12 weeks and not much happened, further discussion regarding the hyperemisis I'm plagued with, new meds, heard the heartbeat. (I've never been offered or even heard mention of the Nuchal Scan, not sure if I would have done it anyways).
I have another visit Nov 5 where I don't anticipate much happening besides weight, bp & hearing the heartbeat.
Dec 4 I have an appointment with Maternal Fetal Medicine (bc they are considering me high risk) for an ultrasound, I will be 20 weeks so hoping we find out the gender that day and hear the babe is doing well. :)

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Christineanne - I think they only offer the nuchal scan if you are older :) as the risk of down Syndrome increases... So I'm sure you're good! Hope the nausea is starting to slow down? I'm guessing that's why they're calling you high risk?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Christineanne - I think they only offer the nuchal scan if you are older :) as the risk of down Syndrome increases... So I'm sure you're good! Hope the nausea is starting to slow down? I'm guessing that's why they're calling you high risk?
Maybe although it seems I hear a lot about the scan here and another board I visit. Not exactly young, will be 35 at birth.

Nausea & vomitting hasn't slowed yet but they said between that and an issue with bleeding after my son's birth they were putting me into MFM for extra monitoring so who know.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Chuord, are you and I the old ladies in this DDC at 40? I thought there was at least one more, maybe two, would have to look.

Had a Trisomy screen at last regular appt. (just blood draw) and that was all negative and also told us we were for *sure* having a girl (like 99.9% accuracy for sex--what they tell you since they loath saying 100% about anything).

Currently sitting around waiting till time to go to my first appt. with new OB who is also a high-risk OB (placental previa + 40 yrs old + thyroid cancer hx = high risk) My PCP made this referral. Hoping she will send us for another U/S so we can see just how extensive previa is (may be easier now that my uterus has repositioned itself significantly) because it would be nice to be off light-duty at work and off pelvic rest ;-)

These early appts. are either boring or scary, huh? As our bellies grow, our appts. will surely be more interesting ;-)

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
I'll be almost 38 when these babies are due. I don't know if that is "old" or not.. I opt out of the genetic testing either way. Just what me and my husband have chosen. We do get the anatomy scan, however, as that is likely to indicate any major problems that we could attempt to deal with during pregnancy, birth, or at least prepare for.

I have an appointment on Thursday. The doctor will do a quick ultrasound to ensure babies are growing properly and placenta/s look good and in the right place. He just has a regular in-office machine, so it doesn't do the very best job, but it indicates if further testing is needed by a good ultrasound provider. I am going to try to get him to look at "the parts" so I can not be distracted by the constant wanting to know! I'll be just shy of 16 weeks by LMP, or just over by dating u/s. He will give me the order to go get the "big ultrasound" done...so, I will do that as soon as I can schedule :)

Hope you mama's are having a wonderful day!

·
Registered
217 Posts
Chuord I wish my nuchal scan was that clear/detailed. They just took a handful of measurenents and that was that! I'm excited to hear whether your sonographer's early guesses were accurate.
Chriatineann I hope that your sickness begins to tail off. I'm still having sickness but only 1-2x a day so it's not really bothering me. The Duchess if Cambridge is reportedly still suffering with hyperemisis and she is also due in April.
Galewinds- congratulations on your girl news! I can't wait to discover the sex of this little one :)
Myfillingquiver- we decline the genetic blood testing too, but have the 20wk anatomy scan coming up.
AFM I'm booked in for a 16week check-up on the 27th. I don't expect there to be much, but I'm excited to finally hear a heartbeat ( saw it at the earlier scans but it's not the same as actually listening in).

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Christineann - I'd take it as he sees you as low risk and that it wasnt needed :) seriously fx re that nausea - you just sound like you have no energy left!
Gale winds - congrats on the girl! And the no trisomies! We had the blood test too - no trisomies detected (so between that and the nuchal we're safe) they did detect Y chromosome - but since it's twins it could be one or both :) hence my need to find out soon lol - I also want a daughter and would love one of each! (Happy with babies however) yes it seems we are the oldies! I can't remember which # baby this is for you? It's my first (two), I think that also makes a difference - being older but on later babies at least your system is tried and tested.
Quiver - hence why your age isn't important :) your doc knows you're good for it! We'll need updates once you've had your scan!
Alittlemischief - I love hearing that heartbeat too! They check it every time I'm at the Ob, there's something magical isn't there?!
Again let us know the update, so many of you seem to be moving through this so fast!

·
Registered
721 Posts
I just went to my second appointment. The only thing done for baby was listening to the heart beat. I had blood drawn for the Harmony (trisomy) testing, and found out they can also determine gender! So we'll know in 2 weeks. :)

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Loreannaz - congrats on the good appointment. Lol re trisomy testing - that's the way we found out we have at least one boy :) it's too good to pass up right?

Reactions: NizhoniTwice

·
Registered
90 Posts
Went to see my brand new OB Monday, but worked all day yesterday so didn't have time to update really. So far we like her! She did ask about why our old OB dropped us, and she seemed genuinely alarmed that we were dropped without the doc ever talking directly with me, and also alarmed that she had refused to see me after the previa was first discovered. She also agreed that returning to work where I work (busy trauma ER) even on light-duty while still spotting was absolutely absurd, and that she would happily back-date an excuse for me if I needed one. So that was good.

She seemed more assured over time that we were actually good patients as time passed and we talked more--we live in an area where not seeking treatment until 17 weeks out of laziness/uncaring/etc. is quite common, so I think she was pleased that that wasn't the case with us. Also pleased that we'd done this on purpose. In our area, it's sadly all too common to come face to face with G4's still in their teens.

Anyway, she said she felt the 20 week anatomy scan at our next visit would be plenty early enough to check the previa's progress. Earlier than that was "like watching a pot" to wait for it to boil. Dh was initially distressed by this, but she did a GREAT job of addressing his fears and interacting with him a great deal and making sure he felt okay with the decision to wait 4 more weeks. She even joked that if I had a problem at work, I was within arm's reach of 3 US machines, which is true. (Did I ever mention that the Nurse Practitioner who released me to work while still spotting who never dopplered or even addressed the previa also never acknowledged DH's presence??) So DH feels better, and likes her, too.

Finally, she ran down the list of restrictions she prefers (no sushi, scary cheeses, raw eggs, alcohol) and dh ratted me out that I have a thing for licking brownie batter bowls. Good thing I had sushi last weekend, because they also made a pact to keep me away from sushi for another 5 months!! Whatever. I know my husband loves me ;-)

So overall I'm pleased, and I like her. Oh, and baby Aili's heart rate was about 150. Yay!
@chuord This is #3 , my other two were born when I was 21 and 24 and I have already decided that pregnancy is MUCH easier for 20-somethings than for 40-somethings ;-) But I'd do it again in a heartbeat, even though it's been no picnic this time around!!
@MyFillingQuiver 38 is plenty old! I'm sure chuord would not mind also including you in the Oldies Club. It's quite exclusive, don't you know? (Sorry, feeling goofy today)

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Gale winds - that doc sounds awesome! This whole journey is too personal not to have someone that understands your emotions etc. I'm glad she was horrified at the last practice and that evil nurse (I know most nurses are awesome lol - she was not!) poor dh too being ignored! I read an article at the very start (after my transfer) about how men actually go through pg with us, many actually have bio-chemical changes as they grow along with us... I'll try and find it, anyway I explained bits to my dh (he's a doctor and isn't into anything natural lol) but he totally agreed and felt instantly more included that I acknowledged it wasn't just me it was us changing... He has been both the bread earner and stepped up to heaps of my jobs at home too.
Lol re the oldies club! The only difference is you both know what to expect! I've never given birth and I spent decades believing death would be easier... Luckily my kiniesiologist cleared that thought out. Now I'm just nervous, but totally under the babies spell.
Quiver - how long before you can do the anatomy scan? Mines scheduled for dec 2nd - seems ages away!

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
@GaleWinds, I would LOVE to be part of your exclusive club...although, we are all "grandfathered in" at some point, right? LOL!
@chuord....I had an appt with my OB today for an OB appt and u/s for growth/placental position, who took pity on my being insanely anxious to know the gender...so we found out! I figure I better do this right, so I'll post on the gender thread!

Reactions: chuord

·
Registered
90 Posts
@MyFillingQuiver Aaaaahhh but I saw this first and now I have to go run over to another threat to find out! You're killing me! LOL!

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Anyone have any upcoming appointments? So e of you must be getting close to anatomy scans :)
My next is one week today for 16 week checkup - fx we find out the sexes!!!!

·
Registered
65 Posts
I have my first one (with my actual midwife, others were free clinics) tomorrow!

·
Registered
758 Posts
I think we will be having ours on the 17th, so less than 2 weeks!

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Exciting! Keep us updated!

·
Registered
87 Posts
I had my 2nd prenatal check last week (at 16 wks). Not much to report. Babes hb was in the 140's. I'm still extremely sick.
I go the first week of December for my next prenatal check and the following day I go to Maternal Fetal Medicine for a scan, I'm considered high risk. Hoping we can find out the gender, will be 20 wks.

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Christineanne - glad all is ok! I kind of wish they'd scanned you today, with all that sickness a gender surprise would be a great pick me up! You are doing such a great job coping with that xxx

1 - 20 of 92 Posts