Mothering Forum banner

1 - 20 of 177 Posts

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had our second prenatal appointment today, and the mw was able to locate the baby's heartbeat with a doppler!!! Everyone in the room was laughing about how excited I was - my face just lit up and I haven't stopped smiling since. I also keep imitating the sound (Whooo Whooo Whooo Whooo Whooo Whooo.....). My favorite mw assistant was in the room with us, and she cried a little!!!! It was the sweetest thing - she's been really supportive throughout and seen me through lots of nerves, fears etc. over the past few weeks so that was really neat. She says the rate was 160 beats/min, which is about right for 11 1/2 wks.

I was really surprised though at how low the baby is - my uterus definitely hasn't popped up out of my pelvis yet, which means the bump picture I shared is probably just my intestines or something adjusting to the changes....

·
Registered
613 Posts
Super exciting! Yay for hearing that lil heartbeat! :heartpulse:

Reactions: FyerFly

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
That's so exciting FyerFly! Isn't it the greatest? This time I've wound up crying both times I've gotten to see and hear the baby's heartbeat on the ultrasound. It's just so comforting and miraculous. We got to take our kids with to our last ultrasound and they were so in love! I didn't think they would be as amazed, but they just couldn't quit gushing, and it totally won the tech over. Yay for baby heartbeats! I won't be able to hear it again until Dec. 11th when I have my next appointment with my midwife. I can't wait!:grin:

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
DucetteMama that's so sweet!! I was totally prepared to cry (i even warned the mw that I would cry either way - if we heard it or not) but it turned out to be more of a surprise/happy feeling - probably because I've just never heard anything quite like it. I did wipe a few tears when DH and I were finally alone in the parking lot.

I love that your LOs were gushing over the heartbeat - so sweet!! Will they get to come again/to the next appt?

·
Registered
105 Posts
It's so exciting that you're getting to hear heartbeats! I have my first midwife appt this week, but no scans for another 2 weeks. :frown: It's silly, but I've started to become paranoid that maybe I've made this whole thing up and I'm not actually pregnant. I mean, I'm sure I am, but...I want some proof and reassurance other than symptoms that come and go! I think at my appt this week they will do blood tests but I'm sure it's too early (barely 10 weeks) for them to hear a heartbeat with a doppler.

I am really afraid of bad news at our scan although I have no reason to be worrying - no bad signs or anything at this point. I just want it to be over with!!

·
Registered
380 Posts
Wow! So exciting everyone! I'll never forget hearing the heartbeat for the first time with both girls. Like a galloping horse or train. Love it
My appt is Thursday! I imagine she'll listen with the Doppler.
I'm also getting some prenatal blood screening this week. I declined my last two but want to do it this time which is unlike me.

·
Registered
618 Posts
@perkier, I felt that way, too! I even had a dream that the midwife told me I wasn't pregnant, and just had some sort of tumor. It was a terrible dream! It was such a relief to hear the heartbeat. They may be able to find the heartbeat at 10 weeks, but it's almost s sure thing by 12 weeks. I hope you are able to hear it.

·
Registered
468 Posts
My 2nd appointment was this morning. Heartbeat was 160+ (girl range?), It was pretty cool! From now on out just regular check-in's :)

·
Registered
695 Posts
One lucky thing about having had repeat losses is that they're checking me early and often. I had scans at 6 and 8 weeks that both showed heartbeats and normal growth, and then I am going to go in at 12 and they'll switch to checking with Doppler. They told me I can just walk into the office any time (within reason) and ask for a Doppler check after 10 weeks though if I feel something is wrong.

·
Registered
418 Posts
I had my first appointment at 8 weeks, then I go again next Thursday when Ill be 12 weeks 1 day. Im not sure if my OB will do just a heartbeat or another US tho.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My 2nd appointment was this morning. Heartbeat was 160+ (girl range?), It was pretty cool! From now on out just regular check-in's :)
SummerStorm Yay!!! :joy So glad all is well. I had a feeling it was :)

My MIL said the same thing about 160 being in the "girl range" but I think it might be a little early to tell - I don't think the baby's heartbeat stabilizes until later in the pregnancy - seems like it's pretty normal for all babies to have high rates at this point (12-14 wks).

·
Registered
695 Posts
I think that is true, fyerfly. too early to tell based on heartbeat. I know some women in my other club - the fertility challenged group - do the testing around 12 weeks that can also tell if you're carrying a girl or boy, but I am opting out of that test. We might wait until baby is born to find out.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Yeah, I don't put too much stock in the heartbeat. It's just interesting to me to follow all these theories and see which ones pan out. I have a really strong feeling it's a boy anyway.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Agreed I'm fascinated by the theories, too SummerStorm!! Most of them I've never heard of before.

Originally (before we got pregnant) I thought I would want to wait to find out, but I'm dying to know now. I told MIL that since I want to find out and DH is kind of ok either way, we'll be happy no matter what happens (if we're able to tell at the ultrasound in Jan/Feb or not). I have this slight preference for a boy (that I don't really even understand, myself) but will be so incredibly overjoyed to have a daughter.....either way I am really looking forward to finding out if we can :)

·
Registered
105 Posts
I hadn't heard the faster heartbeat = girl theory before. It's great that everyone is having good appointments! I like hearing about everyone's different engagements with heath care providers since I think I'm the only one of us in our DDC that's in the UK (is that true?) and it's different here. I want to make sure I'm not missing out on anything!

I had my intake appt today (with a very kind male midwife), and was referred straight to the homebirth team. Normally people have to wait until 16 weeks, but he sent the letter straight over since I am 100% sure that's what I want. I was pleasantly surprised! No exam, just bloods and paperwork, so I still won't have any real news for 2 weeks.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
We got to hear the baby's heartbeat again at our 15w checkup today :) :) :) Also heard a little "whoosh" sound, and the mw told us that was the sound of the baby moving :love babe is "sitting" more towards the center than I thought - mw says just a little left of center (which makes sense with the bubbly feelings I've been having on the left) but I was still surprised when she showed me where it was. I also asked her where the top of my uterus is, and it's higher than I thought! fundal height about 14cm, so just about right for where we are.

She also did a physical (just a standard one), and everything is fine except she said we should keep an eye on my nipples because they're a little flat! Never knew that...I'm guessing they will change a lot over the next few months, so will be interesting to see (she said we'll check again at 34w) if they pop out a little.

I still haven't gained any weight, even though my stomach is pooching out. I'm guessing the next few weeks and months I will!!

·
Registered
618 Posts
I have definitely gained weight. I am up about 8 or 9 pounds, at least, if not more. I have been avoiding weighing myself. I was up 5 lbs at my last appointment, and I know I've gained a few more since then. I guess I'll have to find out tomorrow when I weight myself at our appointment. I'm still planning to ask her to listen and search for another heartbeat, just to see if there may be more than one. If there is just one, I may ask her why the heck my belly is so huge already. At this rate, I don't think I'll be able to move by the end of the pregnancy.

1 - 20 of 177 Posts