Mothering Forum banner

1 - 20 of 319 Posts

·
Registered
8,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since we're all in the 3rd trimester now or very quickly approaching it, I thought a thread for our more frequent appointments would be fun!

I had my 27/28-ish week appointment yesterday. :D

Measured 29 weeks, but I'm tall and I know it doesn't really mean anything.
Midwife's assistant was attempting to figure out baby's position and grabbed way down low and must have grabbed a ligament because I almost jumped off the table! Ouch. They think baby was head down with her back on the right (I've been seeing her back on the right side, running up and down) but I also get kicks/punches simultaneously on the left side and right side which means transverse. My official diagnosis? She moves around a lot. :lol

I scheduled my next appointment as well as....my home visit!! Holy frijoles, this is beginning to feel REAL!! Midwife asked if I'd started gathering my supply list (I haven't) and reminded me that the goal is to have it all ready by my home visit. I can't even remember doing this before, but surely I did.

HOME VISIT!!! :joy Wow.

Midwife nixed the beach-after-camp idea which I knew would happened and I was honestly relieved. To be 2.5 hours from home at 37+ weeks would make me super nervous. Not only after paying $4500 out of pocket to have this baby at home, but because I'd end up either doing it alone or having to call an ambulance out of state - neither of which leaves me feeling comfortable.
I'm going to see if we can squeeze in a long weekend in early June...

Anyone else have appointments this week?

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
I have an appt next Tuesday. I'll be doing the glucose test. And I guess, hopefully seeing the dr. I've only met him a time or two. First appt was just an ultrasound no dr, next appt we waited two hours to see him for five minutes, next appt waited 1.5 hours, then my last appt he didn't even show up. I asked the nurse if he was delivering a baby and she said no, they didn't know where he was. :/
Soooo, I keep telling myself I'll decide what to after my next appt. But I never do. I think they'll want to do every two weeks after this, no way. What a waste of time. I've considered changing drs but I'm not impressed with anyone here, nor the midwife. I feel totally out of options.
And, I don't even know if I'll make it to the hospital, my births are so fast. Another reason I'm not sure about a midwife, all that money out of pocket and she'd probably miss it.
I have in the back of my mind that I'll probably just keep quiet and do it here at home alone. I'm not sure what we'd do with the kids anyway. My mom watched them before, but we moved after my last birth. Dh said this morning we should plan on the hospital but be ready to do it at home.
I have really enjoyed my other hospital births, but the atmosphere is different here. It always felt like a mini vacation away from the kids with just dh and I before. I never have anyone just take care of me at home, so a homebirth makes me a little nervous. And I would REALLY like to get my tubes tied right after birth.
Ugh.

·
Registered
486 Posts
I have an appointment on Wednesday, and I'm also doing the glucose test then. I just learned that my midwife's husband died after a short illness a few days ago, and I feel so sad for her. He was only 66; it seems like they should have had another 20 years together. She is such a kind person, and I doubt she's taking much time off for it. I spent some time thinking about how much I appreciate being married to my best friend and how wonderful it is spending so much time together. I don't want to ever take this for granted.

Anyhow, I'm sorry you are having such a lame experience with your doctor, MPsSweetie! I hope you are able to find someone else you like more! Is there not another practice you could use that your insurance would cover?

Metasequoia, it did seem like going to the beach back to back with camping would be too much, especially at that point. That's crazy about your ligament! Sometimes I feel movement on both sides of my belly at the same time, but he moves around a lot, so it's different all the time. Yesterday he spent some time in a diagonal position that was really uncomfortable for me and I had to massage my ribs with my knuckles to get him to move (which worked, though he moved right back a few minutes later and I had to knuckle my ribs again. After the third repeat of this, he didn't move back into the position). My midwife hasn't tried to determine his position yet...I wonder if she will start doing this, or just wait for my final ultrasound? I guess I will find out!

·
Registered
8,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My midwife didn't even mention the glucose test. :D She asked if I wanted to do labs and I said no. My iron is always good so I'm not worried. We check my BP and urine at each visit and that feels like enough for me. Glad to have a hands off midwife!

And, I don't even know if I'll make it to the hospital, my births are so fast. Another reason I'm not sure about a midwife, all that money out of pocket and she'd probably miss it.
I feel similarly about paying so much for the midwife! She lives 30 minutes away but I'll make sure I mention in the last couple weeks how much I'd like for her to make it in time. I know midwives don't like to miss births either. :) My midwife missed my second birth and she was so bummed!

Can you find a babysitter and start getting to know her (or him) now? That way you could call and have her come over when you go into labor...

@BarefootBrooke , that's so sad about your midwife's husband. :(

·
Registered
189 Posts
Start my every two week appts Monday! Glucose test came back fine 116 and needs to be below 130 :). Birthing classes start in two weeks!!

·
Registered
219 Posts
My appointments are now every two weeks, which is really inconvenient as they are 1.5 hrs away, but I am really devoted to this VBAC. I've made peace with the biweekly, and in June, weekly, drives there and back.

Thinking of all you homebirthers! It was fun to be there the first time around!

I had my glucose test (the maple syrup one!) 2 weeks ago and it was fine! I was thrilled as I was really nervous about it.

My OB appts are really short and I am trying to work up the nerve to explain to each provider I see how important the VBAC is to me, so that I am not just a number to them, but it's hard when you feel really rushed.

No one has tried to determine the baby's position yet, though it feels transverse to me from where I feel the kicks and punches and how long and long the baby is feeling inside.

My mom got me some pink onesies the other day - I think her wish is clear, but we are still team green all the way to the birth!
@Brooke, so sad to hear about your midwife's husband, 66 is young.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Sorry to those of you with long waits and short appointments! I found that really frustrating with my first pregnancy. I saw a midwife in a hospital practice and it was a lot of waiting for super quick visits. The homebirth appointment visits are so different. No waiting to be seen and they last up to one hour. Makes it seem a bit more worth it! I was seen last week at 30 weeks and I have an appointment next week at 32 weeks.

At 30 weeks, I had lost a pound and my BP was the lowest it's been, ever. 98/63. Rest of appointment went well. Baby is head down. And I am consistently feeling movements in the same spots, so I'm assuming he is still there.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Yup, I'm now to every 2 weeks as well. Last visit was good, I had passed my GTT, and my doc reminded me to keep hydrated.

Can't believe the time to a new baby is drawing near!

Tonight, as I was rocking DS to sleep, lil squish kept kicking and shifting....right in DSs ribs. Made him squirm. I thought it was hilarious that my unborn son was already tickling DS! :lol:joy

·
Registered
4,110 Posts
SO sad about your midwife's husband @BarefootBrooke. I can't imagine losing my partner in life at that age. :loss

I had my Centering Pregnancy group this week, which was awesome! There are about 6 other mamas in my group, there's 2 first timers, 2 second babies, 1 third baby, one fourth baby and me! Such a mix of perspectives. I measured 2 weeks larger than my dates (28 at 26 weeks) but was having a monstrous contraction when she measured so that was at least part of it! Everything else is looking and sounding amazing. Our group is monthly, so one more group and then I will alternate a private appointment and the group every 2 weeks with the home visit at 36 weeks. :)

Glad everyone is healthy and growing!

·
Registered
8,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
@Metasequoia - my home visit isn't until 36 weeks, yours is early!
It's scheduled for June 23. :lol I'll be 36/37 weeks by then.

My OB appts are really short and I am trying to work up the nerve to explain to each provider I see how important the VBAC is to me, so that I am not just a number to them, but it's hard when you feel really rushed.
That's a great idea! And it takes courage since you don't know each provider very well. :hug You're a determined mama, working towards a very meaningful goal! AND, maybe you'll pave the road a bit for those who come after you. :love
@blissful_maia ~ that group sounds like so much fun! My midwife's moms' group is next Friday and I'd really like to try to make it.

·
Registered
695 Posts
I have a weird hmo where they do everything weird (i have no dr. Just whatever rando is on duty that night delivers my baby. My appts are w a rotating cast of 4 nurse practitioners. I'm definitely a number). They don't increase appointments until the last month so I only have appts coming up at 32, 36, 38 and then if I don't give birth they schedule an induction by phone. I am planning to go at 32 and at 36, which is where they check position and "allow" vaginal birth but after that I'm not going in until I'm ready for the hospital. I don't do cervical checks so if I stay away, so much the better

·
Registered
8,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have a weird hmo where they do everything weird (i have no dr. Just whatever rando is on duty that night delivers my baby. My appts are w a rotating cast of 4 nurse practitioners. I'm definitely a number). They don't increase appointments until the last month so I only have appts coming up at 32, 36, 38 and then if I don't give birth they schedule an induction by phone. I am planning to go at 32 and at 36, which is where they check position and "allow" vaginal birth but after that I'm not going in until I'm ready for the hospital. I don't do cervical checks so if I stay away, so much the better
Sounds like it!

·
Registered
145 Posts
my next appt is May 5, and then it's bi weekly until 36 weeks when I have the home visit, and then weekly until birth. I'm not doing the GTT, but I did just have blood work done to check my iron levels- I tend to go low right after giving birth so I try to make sure it's high right before.

Is anyone considering/doing the GBS test?

·
Registered
695 Posts
Anyone know what the increase in appointments is even for? I dont have them but most women do. Is it for cervical checks or preeclampsia testing or what? What am I missing out on lol

·
Registered
8,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Is anyone considering/doing the GBS test?
I'm not sure. I never tested + with my first 3 babies and then I might have with the 4th? I really can't remember... I think I did and I asked midwife to recheck in 2 weeks and during that time, I ate as much fermented veggie/kefir as I could stomach and the second test was negative. Or I could be totally making that up. :lol I'm going to have to ask my midwife to look at my old file because now I'm curious if I'm crazy or what.

But I do know that lots of fermented veggies/dairy/whatever is supposed to help with GBS.

Even if I was +, I wouldn't take abx or give them to baby.

Anyone know what the increase in appointments is even for? I dont have them but most women do. Is it for cervical checks or preeclampsia testing or what? What am I missing out on lol
No idea. :lol I just get measured, BP, pee in cup and chit chat. I'm supposed to be at 2 weeks now but midwife scheduled my next one for 3 weeks away. I wasn't actually looking forward to moving up to every 2 weeks yet...at least not during ball season.

·
Registered
145 Posts
@metasequoia So have you done the testing every time though? And do you think you'll do it this time? That's good to know about the ferments- I'm not sure I'll do the testing, but still good to know :)

I don't know why the appts double up either- I'm guessing to keep a closer eye on pee/blood pressure, since that's all I get done each appt, and I'm starting two week visits too...I mean, they also listen to baby, feel baby's position and fundal measurements, but I don't see why that needs to be done more often- but keeping a closer eye on your urine and blood pressure makes sense to me. I'm not looking forward to more appts either, although this is the first time- every other time I've been pregnant the appts are some of my favorite things!

·
Registered
486 Posts
I read that the more frequent appointments are to check for preeclampsia. I've never been asked for a urine sample during a midwife visit...what are they checking for?

·
Registered
125 Posts
Last time I did the dual care system that's available here. So one appt with the gyno the next with a midwife. She came to my home and showed me exactly what she measured my urine for.

She had dip sticks that measured for multiple things at once. They tested for leukocytes, yeast, ketosis, protein, and sugar. Plus a few extras I can't remember right now.

The basically just are checking for signs of preeclampsia, bladder infection, and yeast infection. As far as I know anyway.

Then BP checks also go towards preeclampsia. And the rest is just to keep an eye on baby.

I'm just doing gyno appts this time. So my next one is at 30 weeks and then I guess I go to every two weeks.

I just hope I don't go over 40 weeks. By law my Dr. is required to make me come in every 2-3days by then. Which is super annoying.

1 - 20 of 319 Posts