Mothering Forum banner

21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
@justlizzy that sounds stressful. What does an EKG measure exactly? A lot of things? Do you have a sense of what you might need to do if you have to do anything?

We have our next appointment tomorrow, and like you mentioned about your last one, I definitely have the pre-appointment jitters. My anxiety has been infinitely lower this pregnancy than my first, but I'm still not feeling much of any movement (even though I'm pretty sure I felt DS by this point last time), so I'm just anxious to hear the heartbeat again. And I'm also a little bummed that I've gained a bit more weight than I'd like to by this point. My diet is definitely not what it should be!!

·
Registered
40 Posts
@justlizzy I'm sorry to hear that. I had a heart problem diagnosed last year as well and was able to have a surgery that resolved the problem. It had become debilitating. I feel completely normal now, but terrified that it will come back. The whole thing was so dramatic for my whole family. I'm wondering now if I should check in with my cardiologist for good measure. We saw them when I was about a month pregnant. I had the surgery one week before conceiving. That was not entirely anticipated, so I've had very little time for processing. I have had very little time for posting lately, but I'm following and want to let you know that my thoughts are with you. I hope the cardiologist will help you to manage it and that it doesn't become an issue for you.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
@~Chava~ so glad your surgery was successful. It does sound really hard not to have much time to process something like that before jumping into this pregnancy.

Had our second prenatal today, and it went very well. We talked about the need for (or not) an anatomy scan, and I'm fairly certain we've decided not to have one. Its kind of a cool feeling, to be comfortable with the unknown! We did use a doppler today (LOVE that little heartbeat sound! And our heartbeats were kind of commingling at one point, almost echoing each other, which was so sweet!), but I asked if we could try the fetoscope next time around. Should be fun! I also borrowed a book from my midwife's library called Lessons of Labor and I'm looking forward to diving in.

·
Registered
426 Posts
@FyerFly -- hearing the heartbeat is probably my favorite part of the the appointments :love

I had a follow up with my insurance company's Healthy Pregnancy Program nurse (they reward you with a $100 gift card for completing it) and she said that it's not uncommon for my condition to be MORE noticeable during pregnancy due to the increased blood volume, but it's also common that OBs are overly cautious about it. I suppose we'll just play the waiting game for now.

·
Registered
40 Posts
@FyerFly -- hearing the heartbeat is probably my favorite part of the the appointments :love

I had a follow up with my insurance company's Healthy Pregnancy Program nurse (they reward you with a $100 gift card for completing it) and she said that it's not uncommon for my condition to be MORE noticeable during pregnancy due to the increased blood volume, but it's also common that OBs are overly cautious about it. I suppose we'll just play the waiting game for now.
@FyerFly I felt the same way too! I hope you hear the heartbeat with the fetoscope!
@justlizzy I'm hoping it doesn't cause any issues! Best of luck with the waiting game!

·
Registered
426 Posts
Had a good follow up this morning. Surprise surprise, we're measuring ahead! I'm 17w+5 and my uterus is measuring 22 weeks already! With DS I consistently measured anywhere from 3 to 7 weeks ahead and they were predicting he was 10lbs at 38 weeks (he came out a healthy 8lbs 12oz). Anyway, we're going to monitor the growth and hopefully we have a chance at the VBAC.

The big look is in three weeks! I'm excited to see this little one. :)

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Had a really great appointment this morning. This is the first one I've gone to without DH and DS, and I have to say it was quite a bit more relaxed as a result. I'm measuring spot on for 19 weeks (it was the first time we used the tape measure, which I love!), and we used the doppler again to hear the heartbeat. It sounded stronger and clearer than before to me, 140s-150s, which I hope is a good sign my placenta is already moving up a bit. I think it is, because I've definitely been feeling more movement in the last day or so - still nothing I'd call "kicks" yet, but very obvious shifts and little teeny punches down low and low left. I asked my midwife today about anterior placentas and baby positions during labor, and she assured me that anterior placenta does not necessarily = OP baby. I really hope that will be true for me!

We talked so much about other things that we didn't even discuss GD testing for next appointment. I got the sense that she is fine with whatever I decide (to test or not, and if so, what kind of test). Anyone have strong feelings one way or the other about getting tested for GD?

·
Registered
143 Posts
@FyerFly, I'm still researching the GD test. Diabetes and insulin resistance run in my family and I've been borderline before so maybe it makes sense to do the test for me personally. Last pregnancy, I drank a bunch of orange juice before getting my blood drawn. My current midwife has suggested I do the finger prick tests over a series of days. She says that will actually give us a more accurate read on my numbers and help trouble shoot if there are any problems. Curious to see what others are planning to do!

·
Registered
426 Posts
I'm hoping I can have an alternative to drinking the syrup for the GD test - I threw it up last time, or see if my doctor is open to keeping a food log and monitoring this time.

Side note -- does anyone else find it somewhat weird that they wait until more than half-way through your pregnancy to test for GD? Wouldn't it make more sense to look at this sooner since there are some serious complications that can result?

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
@lerlisha I did something similar last time, except I think it was grape juice. It tasted terrible, it was so hard to drink the whole cup!! I've also heard the finger prick method can give a lot more reliable data.
@justlizzy ick sorry that syrup made you throw up last time. I like the idea of a food log - that could benefit me in a number of ways! and GAH I wish I could remember what she said, my midwife told me offhand either this recent appt or the one prior the reason they wait till around 24 weeks to test. There is some reason, I just can't remember!! Maybe someone else will chime in...

·
Registered
426 Posts
Big scan was today!! The important news first -- It's a baby human and not a baby truck, much to the disappointment of DS :lol Also, my placenta is at the top and back, so no previa risk, and finally baby is measuring ON time, which is awesome with a VBAC in mind since DS was always 2-4 weeks ahead.

And finally -- the Chinese calendar proved to be correct again, we're having another little boy! DH was mildly disappointed since he had hoped for a daughter, BUT that just means we have to go for round three - as we already planned. I'm excited! Heck, I would have been either way because NEWBORN SNUGGLES ARE COMING! But I do this DS getting a little brother is perfect :) Now we'll see if my top boys name sticks until the birth -- with DS my favorite at this point was COMPLETELY different than the one we chose. Also, I need to wash and sort through all the baby clothes -- we hung onto most of them since we knew we'd be having baby 2 within a few years.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
@justlizzy sorry you had to disappoint DS about no baby truck hahaha. How great to be measuring right on, especially if that's helpful for VBAC purposes! Yes!!

Congratulations on your baby boy!!!! How exciting! And yes, newborn snuggles are drawing closer and closer, I just can't wait! LOVE the idea of your DS having a brother, I'm imagining much the same over here (though only time will tell).

·
Registered
426 Posts
Good appointment this morning -- I'm only measuring 2-ish weeks ahead instead of 5! I also talked with him about how long I'd be permitted to go overdue -- as long as everything is perfect, and I'm comfortable, I can go up to 42 weeks before we'd look at intervention. He's also hopeful that my BP will be good through pregnancy this time, and said it's fairly common to have high BP/late onset pre-e with the first baby and it to be smooth sailing for subsequent pregnancies.

I *do* need to watch my weight though -- I'm up 6lbs in a month. Darn Easter feasting :lol

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Awesome @justlizzy glad your appointment went well! And I feel like it might be pretty "normal" to be measuring just a wee bit ahead as a second timer - I know my belly is significantly rounder (and has been all along) than my first-timer friends who are due within a few weeks of me :)

I've been thinking about weeks - and the crazy thing is, as of now, I'm fairly certain we are under 20 weeks away from meeting this baby!!! 22-23ish weeks along now, and I'm guessing/hoping 42 weeks would be the longest I would go, too. If I do go exactly 42 weeks, the baby will be born on DH's birthday, which could be cute :)

I wonder why its more common to have high BP and late onset pre-e the first time around? I'm curious - sorry if you've shared this already - are you with the same care provider as the first time around? What sorts of things are you planning to do (if anything) to prepare for your VBAC?

·
Registered
426 Posts
I'm with a different care provider this time. Last time I was with a group practice, this time I'm with the only solo practitioner in town -- he had a partner I did my intake with, but the partner recently left for a position closer to family. I got on my current doctor's roster about 6-months prior to us getting pregnant since he's the most VBAC friendly in our town, and has the highest success rate. With my 6-week followup at the previous practice I was told I wouldn't be a good candidate since my cervix was so high -- I came to find out that it's ALWAYS higher that soon after birth as the body is protecting itself. I wanted to be able to try for a VBAC for my own sake -- obviously IF it becomes apparent that we need a repeat c-section for everyone's health I'd opt for it, a good friend of mine is doing that actually, but I want to at least say I tried. I have to say I'm really happy with my choice of care provider this time. He has a bedside manner that some people find off putting, but it's very similar to my German doctors - no small talk, no fawning - so I really do appreciate it. Better yet, my husband really likes him.

He said the BP for first/later pregnancies had to do with the mother's body reacting to the pregnancy itself. With first timers it's due to the body figuring out how it should react to this whole pregnant thing, and with later pregnancies in older mothers who experience it (typically over 40) it's because they're on their 5th or more pregnancy and their body is tired. He said overall the rate for high BP was only 15%, and the majority of those cases are like mine, so he's hopeful.

Preparation-wise I'm trying to be better about eating healthier and now that the weather is awesome again we're making sure to make the loop around our complex every night. He said at my first appointment that *if* I can manage to keep my weight gain under control that it should facilitate an easier VBAC, though controlling the baby's actual size is hard to do, and I make big babies (DS was 8#12oz at 39 weeks! and big babies run in BOTH sides). Also, starting the chiropractic care early was important since my back labor was rough last time.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
@justlizzy sounds like the switch in care providers was a great move for you! So interesting about his "bedside manner" - did you spend a lot of time in Germany to have German doctors? I also think it makes a difference when your partner feels good about the care provider - that wasn't the case so much for us last time, and I think my DH is a lot more comfortable and happy with our new midwife this time around (as am I!)

Thanks for the info about the BP and pre-e - so interesting!

I really wish there was a magic trick we could do to ensure good positioning - was your DS posterior last time (re: the back labor?) Mine was posterior a few days before I went into labor, but my midwife recommended LOTS of hands and knees, and he did turn before labor started. I don't know why, maybe its the anterior placenta, but I feel a little too obsessed with baby position this time around. And as much as I can do yoga and try to correct my sleeping position and be upright as much as possible -- sometimes they are just more comfy in a different position!! Good points about the diet and exercise, though -- those are things I CAN control. I've definitely stepped up the exercise, but am still battling with my old friend sugar addiction. Hope you're having more luck than me in that area!

·
Registered
426 Posts
@FyerFly -- we spent two academic years in Germany. The second I had a lot of medical attention due to going to the ER for what we thought was swollen tonsils, but ended up being a major infection in my jaw resulting in emergency surgery and a week stay. Not the most fun or what we had planned for Christmas/New Year that year.

DS was posterior last time - and was physically twisted by the OB on call a couple times. His shoulders were also wider than his huge noggin, so he kept getting wedged in my pelvic bone. The chiropractor I'm seeing this time around has expertise in getting babies to flip, so hopefully all goes well!

Reactions: FyerFly

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Great appointment today :) still measuring right on (24 weeks) and it took zero time to hear the baby's heartbeat this time - almost before the doppler hit my belly, haha. We are pretty sure my placenta has moved up a bit, which is very reassuring. My mom also came with us to the appointment, so she got to meet our midwife and took DS on a walk when he started getting antsy (he kept saying: "all done talking??"), so for once DH got to more fully participate, and he seemed to engage really well with our midwife, which made me feel really at ease. She also has a new backup midwife that we got to meet today, and I really liked her as well (though I hope hope that I'll have my midwife for the birth - she's definitely a kindred spirit).

·
Registered
426 Posts
My appointment yesterday left me feeling anxious. I had to schedule an afternoon appointment due to DS having his well check in the morning and I waited over 90 minutes passed my scheduled appointment time before my weight and BP was even taken. I normally have the first appointment of the morning, but this was the first time in a while that I had a true impression of just how busy my OB is, and he's currently practicing solo, so I'm not sure what happens if he's in disposed when I'm in labor. Who is his back up? August is already going to be high stress with moving and being due at the end...

Aside from that, he said I'm only allowed to gain an additional 6lbs if I want to attempt a VBAC. Oy. That's all on me though. I let my eating get lax after Easter and with DS's birthday.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Awww @justlizzy sorry about the anxiety! 90 minutes is a LONG time to wait! Will you have a chance to ask the OB about backup? And/or could you ask the nurses next time you go? I'm guessing he must have some sort of protocol in place? Definitely not something to want to worry about, especially with other things going on!

I'm with you on the weight gain. We traveled this last weekend and I had a really hard time counting protein/basically ate whatever I wanted...when I checked the scale the day after we returned, I was basically at my goal weight for the entire pregnancy :( oops. Though part of that may be salt/water retention, which I'm definitely sensitive to.

I'm wondering why they are so precise about your weight gain re: VBAC, though? Is it a percentage of your body weight, or an exact number of pounds? Seems a little arbitrary, and though I understand being careful overall, are you able to VBAC if you weigh 150 but not if you weigh 151 (for example)?? I'm not convinced.

21 - 40 of 50 Posts