Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
1,849 Posts
I don't really know about Apricot trees, but I have been known to prop or sling a branch or two on one in particular of our pear trees to hopefully keep it from splitting off. Seems to happen every other year. Can't hurt?

Good Luck!

· Registered
188 Posts
Yes, I have. Last year I had soooo much fruit that the branches were splitting. I did prop them -- I used anything I could find -- PVC pipe, stakes, etc. Enjoy the apricots!! And the bumper crop! I have so few this year

Loree

· Registered
8,415 Posts
lol, i am afraid the first thing that went thru my head, papabliss, was 'bite me'.

those of us in parts of the country that couldn't grow an apricot if we stood on a ladder & blew on it to keep the buds from freezing are too jealous.
apricots are the main reason i shake my fists at the sky, when we have balmy 75' days in february & then a nice freeze in late april. (i just cut down a pluot that insisted on blooming too dang early every year. two pieces of fruit that the birds ate in a decade is not worth it.

i miss apricots (i built a treehouse in ours when i lived in cali. and yes, we propped the heavily laden branches with 2x4s.) you cannot buy a good fresh apricot (they are also the reason i have been considering a splurge order from diamond organics when they are in season. has anybody here actually ordered them before? are they actually RIPE?)

ah, sitting in my treehouse dripping apricots and ducking the mockingbirds.

suse

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.