Mothering Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
346 Posts
Note - I wrote this Friday night, but Liam woke up and I couldn't send it until today.

Liam continues to be a pretty easy baby, as long as we can manage to keep the gas under control. Last night he was gassy and decided to nurse pretty much all night long, so that was a little tough.

Up until this week, I've just been taking him to bed when I go - usually between 9 and 11. But we've found that he does better when he gets to bed around 9 and I don't want to go to bed at 9 every night anymore. So this week we've started putting him to bed by himself for the first part of the night - I'll nurse him to sleep, then sneak out of the room. So far so good. The first night I went up an hour later and he stayed asleep. Tonight it's been two hours so far, and I'll be heading off to bed when I finish this post.

He's a wonderfully social little guy - everyone always comments on how alert and aware he is. Like me, he really likes meeting new people! If you'd like to "meet" Liam, you can check him out here: http://public.fotki.com/tammylc/liam_pictures/

· Registered
346 Posts
Liam is still in his 0-3 clothes, for the most part. He's only outgrown a couple of the smaller outfits. Our two month check up isn't until tomorrow, but I'm guessing he's about 23 inches and 11 1/2 lbs (started at 21 inches and 7 lbs, 10 oz).

Last week at my mothering group, there were 5 babies all born within 8 days of one another. Liam was about in the middle in terms of heigh and weight. Whenever we got out people say "He's soooo little" but I think that's because he's scrunched up in his sling, or because they're just not used to seeing a 2 month old out and about.

· Registered
346 Posts
Jujujoy - apparently it is not uncommon for BF babies to go a few days between poops. Some only poop once a week! Heck, in my pediatrician's practice, she's got one baby who only poops once a month, and that's totally normal for that baby! (But there's no leaving the house on that day...) I'd just do some gas relieving exercises and not worry for a bit yet. He shouldn't be getting constipated on breastmilk.

Chiming in on the weight and height thread - Liam was 7 lbs, 10 oz and 21 inches long at birth. We had his two month check up yesterday (a little late - he's actually 10 weeks old now) and he weighed 11 lbs, 3.5 oz and was 23 3/4 inches long. He's a nice middling baby - 50th percentile for weight and 75th percentile for height.

It's sticky here in Michigan today. Blech.

· Registered
346 Posts
Liam is really cheerful - it's wonderful! I feel bad for the moms of fussier babeis - we are sooo lucky. But lately he's been kicking up a storm at night and keeping me awake. Gas, I think. Around 6 am he starts squirming in his sleep - I think he wants to nurse, but he's not interested, just squirms and squirms, until around 8 am when I give up and get out of bed.

Developmentally he's started getting into grabbing, and batting at things overhead of his playmat. Today I watched him very consciously look at a toy hanging overhead and bring his hand purposefully up to it, rather than the real random movements of the past. That was really neat.

Anybody else's baby getting really drooly? He's dripping all over the place these days and blowing bubbles. When he was lying on the mat earlier today he even started choking on his own saliva!

· Registered
346 Posts
Be careful what you wish for!

Liam hasn't been napping real well today - he'd fall asleep with his head on my arm, and when I'd move my arm (because it was totally falling asleep) he'd wake right up, bright eyed and bushy tailed. Heaven forbid I should actually try to put him down in his basinette - not a chance. I was tired too, so we laid down on the couch in the hopes that I could get a few winks - he fell asleep, then woke up crying before I managed to close my own eyes.

Now, of course, he's fast asleep on my lap, the cat is meowing for his dinner, and I desperately have to go pee! At least both of my hands are free and I can type...

· Registered
346 Posts
No rolling from Liam yet, but a fair amount of grabbing, and batting at toys over his head on his playmat. But lots and lots of smiling and cooing and gurgling and the rest. He's a *very* social baby.

Although he hated it in the beginning, lately he's really started enjoying being on his tummy - he squirms and moves his arms and legs and is happy to stay there for quite a while (he used to start crying after just a minute or two). How's everyone else doing in terms of tummy time?

We started an infant massage class on Wednesday, and I actually gave him one last night. Has anyone else done any infant massage? We've only learned legs and feet so far, but he seemed to like it, after some initial complaining (we did it after his bath, and he *hates* getting out of his bath).

· Registered
346 Posts
I'll be going back to work at the beginning of August. But just for 3 days a week - the minimum I can work to keep our health insurance. DH will be between contracts, so he'll be staying home with Liam until he gets something new. I think it will be a nice opportunity for both of them. We've got a nice daycare lined up for the fall - just 6 kids, two caregivers, only 2 infants at any one time - hopefully DH will have work by then.

The exciting news around here is that Liam rolled over for the first time yesterday! From his tummy to his back - he shows no signs of going the other direction yet. The first time he sort of kicked off from my leg, so I figured he'd just gotten lucky, but when I put him back on his tummy he did it again without my leg, so then I knew it was the real thing! All in all, he did it about 4 times in a 10 minute period - but by the time we got the video camera going he'd worn himself out!

Liam is still nursing every 2 hours or so - I sometimes wish he'd start going longer, especially when we're out running errands and stuff. But I have pretty small boobs, so I think I'm one of those people that doesn't store a lot of milk, but makes it quickly. But he's also a young April baby, so we'll see how that goes as he gets older.

· Registered
346 Posts
I was planning to have a home birth with New Moon, but we discovered around 37 weeks that Liam was breech. I tried every trick in the book to get him to turn, with no luck. My midwives would have attempted a home vaginal breech birth if DH and I had felt really strongly about it and had been willing to take the risks, but didn't recommend it for a first birth. I wasn't willing to make that attempt at home (although might have in hospital if I could have found a doc to do it). So it was c-section land for me. Going from a planned homebirth to a planned cesarean was a pretty big leap! Fortunately, I found a great doctor and had a really good birth and recovery, all things considered. And I left the hospital as soon as they'd let me - yucky places, hospitals.

Do you know about the Mothering Arts group that New Moon runs on Thursdays? It's a great place to meet AP moms.

· Registered
346 Posts
Welcome, Emily.

Mum2Lillie - what sad news! I'm very sorry for you and your friends poor family.

GoodWillHunter - I'm *sooo* glad that the Zantac has been such a help for Adam. Liam still has a clogged tear duct too - I've not been very good about cleaning his eye every day like I'm supposed to.

Liam is one of the littlest April babies - he just turned 3 months today! He's totally having his three month growth spurt - at least that's what I'm hoping the sudden increase in night nursing is about. He was nursing only 2-3 times a night, now he's nursing 4-6 times for the last two nights. I'm tired.

Beautiful baby pics, everybody! Here's mine: http://public.fotki.com/tammylc/liam_pictures/

I can't even imagine Liam on solids - I'm planning to wait until at least 6 months - he's still got a very pronounced tongue-thrust reflex, which I can't imagine will go away in only another month.

I go back to work a week from today. Just for 3 days/week, but I'm having a hard time imagining being away from Liam for a whole 8-9 hours at a stretch! Yikes. Luckily, he'll be staying at home with DH for a little while, so he'll still be in a familar place with a familiar face.

Have a great day, moms and babes.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.