Mothering Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
183 Posts
Just jumping in... my dd was born by C-section on 4/14/04. She is about 11 pounds now, finally sleeping through the night and cooing a lot more. She was diagnosed with torticollis (a congenital muscular problem where she holds her head to one side... a shortening of the muscle on one side) so we have to take her to physical therapy now.
But other than that, she is doing well and developing fine. We are also dealing with reflux!
: Rough! But I"m glad to see all you April moms and keep up with how everyone is doing!

· Registered
183 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by christymama
Welcome Amy! SO gald to have you here with us... I have a question for you though.. With your daughters torticollis can she put her head straight? I ask because with Spencer ( born the 13th) he always has his head to one side. LIke he favors that side.. HE can hold his head straight when he wants.. he sleeps with his head to the left every night.. ( sometimes to the right) but he prefers the left and when he sits up and looks around he will tend to look to the left as well But can turn from side to side.. and keep his head straight? Does your dd.. ?? I never heard of this condition until you mentioned it and am wondering if Spencer may have it as well? What do they do in phycial therpy for it? Sorry for all the questions...
I hope you enjoy our group here.
Yep.. she can hold it straight sometimes and even turn it to the other side on her own when she is playing...she just tends to favor that one side. I'd check into it. You never know. If you don't get it corrected, it can cause plagiocephaly (head flattening) on that one side. I haven't been to PT with her yet but have an appointment to start soon. I've looked it up online and basically you turn their head side to side and hold it, feed them from the opposite side, do *lots* of tummy time to strenghten the neck, and prop up their head if they start to lean it. torticolliskids.com is a good website to check.

Even in her pics I got done at the hospital when she was born, in some she is holding her head perfectly straight, and in others she has it bent to that side.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.