Mothering Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
4,450 Posts
Hi all. I was with you on the pregnancy board and gave birth to Talia at the end of March. Today, she turned 14 weeks old. Sorry I have not kept in touch at all since then. I went back to work when she was 11 weeks, but since I am a yeacher, I am now off for 2 months again! She's an angel baby- sleeps from 10 pm until 3:30, which is her only night waking. My ds was almost 3 years old before he slept this much at night! For real! We have a strange kind of cosleeping going on. The baby sleeps with Dh from 10 pm until her first waking. If she sleeps with me, she wakes much, much earlier, so we tried this, and it totally works. Then, from the time she wakes until morning, she sleeps with me. Dh and I never sleep in the same bed these days, but for now it is fine with both of us. Hell, we're getting some sleep with this baby, which is great. More later- nak and about to switch sides. I will read to catch up on all of you!

· Registered
4,450 Posts
I don't know Talia's height and weight right now, but at her 8 week appointment, she weighed 11.5 pounds. She started out at only 6 lbs. 2 oz and is exclusively breastfed. Yikes! She still nurses every 2 hours during the day, from 10 am to 10pm, anyway. She sleeps from 10 at night to 10 in the morning and wakes only at 3 or 4 and then again at 7 to nurse. She was born at the end of March, though, so now she is almost 3 1/2 months old, whereas some born at the end of April have just turned 3 months old. The couple of weeks' age difference could mean a couple of pounds, too. At this age, my ds used to gain a whole pound a week on many occasions! Of course, by 4 months old, he was close to 18 pounds, which is huge. Dd will no reach this weight at the same age, for sure. But then again, ds started out 3 pounds larger from birth!

· Registered
4,450 Posts
Talia has rolled only TWICE from stomach to back. One time was a total anomaly at 2 months old. Only dh and my brother saw it. The last time was Thursday, and only my mom saw it. I'm not sure when she will start rolling "for real" but I want to see it soon! She is very smiley, no real laughs, but tons and tons and tons of "talking." She makes all different vowel and consonant sounds already; maybe she will be a really early talker like ds. She will by 4 months on July 26th and has her check-up on the same day. She is going through something of a minor nursing strike this week, nursing only 4 or so times a day, and only when she is really tired and falling asleep. I think she may be too distracted otherwise. She's still a total chubby chunk, tho, so I am not too worried. She's still sleeping 10:30-5 am, and I usually have been getting up and going to the gym when she wakes at 5. I feed her and then go, and she goes back to sleep, so it works out well. Took this morning off and took Tali to the beach for a walk at 10:00 instead. So I feel very rested today! Have a great weekend.

· Registered
4,450 Posts
Ugghhh! I went to the gym and was gone exactly 75 minutes, and Talia rolled over again, and I missed it AGAIN! She just doesn't want to perform for Mommy, I guess. My mom got to see it again, though.
Christina, I have known people to get their periods as soon as you have, or even later than I did with DS (17 months!). I think everyone's body is different. Also, DS nursed around the clock every hour and a half for a very, very long time. I think I will get it back sooner this time; Talia already sleeps 10:30-5 am and nurses only about 5 times a day.

· Registered
4,450 Posts
Christy, I think it is normal for babies at this age to nurse much less than they used to. I think they have gotten more efficient. I know I still try to nurse Tali more than she wants it because it seems so infrequent that she "asks"...but when I try, she does the whole "latch on-latch off-latch on" thing, which lets me know she simply isn't hungry. I don't know her weight, but her thighs couldn't be sooo chubby if she was eating too little!! Her 4 month check up will be on her 4 month b-day, the 26th of this month. (She's an "old" April baby, considering she was actually born March 26th!) I do plan to start solids then, too, though many people wait longer. Since I will be working full time in Sept. and she doesn't like the bottle too much, I want her to be eating some foods by then to hold her over and fill her tummy a little while I am gone during the day. I hope she likes food better than ds did! He didn't like anything but the boob until he was over a year old. Oh- he did like bread, but not any kind with a whole lotta nutrition in it!

· Registered
4,450 Posts
Oh, Christy, and she nurses for only about 7-10 minutes each time. Sometimes only one side for 7 minutes and then refuses the other. Occasionally, I have even started to pump to alleviate the pain caused from the extra milk she doesn't want. How annoying! But I will probably need that milk (which I freeze) when I go to work in Sept. and my mom is watching her. Anyone else going back to work??

(I actually did go back to finish up the year with my second graders. Tali was 11 weeks old! I worked 2.5 weeks at the middle/end of June, but now I am off till Aug. 26th again)

· Registered
4,450 Posts
I think I probably have the first solid food eater of all the April babes. Well, technically, she is a March one (26th) but I consider myself one of you, since she was due April 3rd. We tried her with bananas and a loooot of EBM yesterday for dinner and twice today. She actually started opening her mouth for more toward the end of each feeding session. I gave her only a very, very little. But I think I need to do this because she won't drink from the bottle and I return to work in a month. Food will be better than nothing, so we have started early. She has already been much more receptive to it than my ds was, but then again, I started cereal with him first, and that stuff doesn't taste great at all! She still isn't rolling over for me, but my mom has seen her roll (only from tummy to back) a handful of times. She is just so content. I guess she isn't in a hurry to roll. However, on her tummy, she has creeped several feet forward at a time! It isn't crawling by any stretch, but it's some serious movin'! She has also pivoted 180 degrees on her tummy, using her arms to kind of "step" around. I'm always surprised to see where she ends up if I step out of the room to use the bathroom or something and leave her on the floor. Hmmm....maybe I shouldn't be doin that any more?

Maria, my best wishes for a speedy recovery for all your family!

· Registered
4,450 Posts
mum2lillie, my thoughts are with you and your friend's family today. My greatest fear is dying before my children grow up; the story of your friend is very sad.

Talia has her 4 month check-up this morning. I can't wait to find out how big she is! Her brother was 17 lbs. 10 oz at 4 months old, and 26.5 inches long. I know she will not be that big!! She weighed 3 pounds less than he did at her birth and has never caught up. We do vax, but I am thinking the doctor will want to hold off because I have been running a high fever since Sat. and so if she gets a fever after the shots, we'd have no way of knowing if it was a reaction or if she just caught my virus. This cold has been making me totally miserable; swollen throat and neck, aching lower back, and the chills. I hope it goes away soon!

· Registered
4,450 Posts
I am sorry that some of you are going through health issues with your babies. I hope you all solve the mysteries soon!

Our appt. yesterday went very well. Talia weighs 14 pounds and 5 ounces, and it was exactly her 4 month birthday. I was surprised to learn that her weight is in the 75th percentile for a 4 month old girl! She's a little chub, but it seems like so many babies are heavier than she is, even at a younger age. Well, that's what the top 25 percentile is for, I guess! Her length is 24.5 inches, which is the 50th percentile, and her head circumference (I forget the # of inches) is also the 50th. So...she's a well proportioned chub! She did get the 4 vaccines yesterday; the dr was not concerned about my having a fever and her possibly catching it. I just did tylenol for 24 hours, and she seems to be napping during the day a little, which she usually doesn't (at all!) so I think it's just the effect of the shots. Other than that, all is well...we have now tried both bananas and apple sauce, heavy on the EBM. I think the texture of the applesauce freaked her out, but she takes about 12 spoons of bananas just fine after 3 days of solid food. I'm not pushing it, but just gently trying to teach her to accept the spoon since she will not accept a bottle and will need SOMETHING when I return to work.

· Registered
4,450 Posts
Oh yeah- TOTALLY losing tons of hair for about 3 weeks now! It is one of those unpleasantries I had conventiently forgotten from my first pregnancy, until...yuck!! I can't keep up with the cleaning; it's like we have a new furry, brown carpet in the bathroom! I have also always been a shedder, but this is ridiculous. I have thin hair to start with.

Talia rolled for me twice last night- finally! She rolled from back to tummy, two times in a row. I am the only one who has seen her roll this way, tho my mom and dh have seen her roll from tummy to back and I haven't yet.

July is almost over
That means my time left "at home" is short. Back to work for me on Aug. 26th, Talia's 5 month birthday. But...my birthday is on Sunday. I will be OLD!
It's a big one for me (30)!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.