Mothering Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,764 Posts
What kind of apron are you looking for? A flat front one or a 50's pouffy skirt one?

I've made my own flat front ones - pretty easy. But for the 50's kind, cant help ya there! But sewingpatterns.com has a huge selection to search thru.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
oh, just the flat front kind. I would like to make my dd (21 mos) and me matching aprons. Thanks so much for your help!

·
Registered
8,678 Posts
I made wonderful aprons by the Sewing for Dummies pattern, its a subset of one of the big pattern companies. I wish I could find it since I made aprons for everyone last year except me and I love to wear aprons.

(psst. shenjell)

·
Registered
3,764 Posts
you dont need a pattern to make the flat front ones. measure the distance from your neck to your waist (for the front part) and measure from your waist to your leg (however long you want it to be). Also measure how wide you want it (to cover your chest) and how wide around your waist to your back.
Fold fabric in half (the fold is the center of your front) and draw out "half" of an apron.
Eg: the width you want for the front chest is 6", so draw a horizontal line 3" long at the top. (DONT forget to add xtra for seam allowances!)

For the ties and finishing, I used a contrasting color of binding. Small peice for top; long peice to double as ties around the neck and waist (starts behing your neck and goes down the side to the back) and another to finish the bottom.

I hope that makes some sort of sense! I made these for my nephews one year with a box of art supplies - they loved it! I love the idea of matching aprons.

(I posted 'cause I knew you'd be here, fek. Still watching you...)

·
Registered
102 Posts
I found these patterns and loved them, especially the lollipop and community aprons.

http://www.maryjanesfarm.com/pfoshop..._id=1#Patterns

I just made up my own pattern from the pics. If you do a search for "apron," it pulls up another link on the site where they sell the ric-rac apron in different colors and have better pics to see by. It wasn't hard to make once I figured out how the pockets worked, and the ric-rac is so so cute! I wish I'd taken pics of the finished products before they were given as gifts.

There's also this site for pattern ideas if you're into designing your own.

http://www.apronchronicles.com/aprons/index.html

There are lots more, of course. I just had fun seeing pics of people's collections.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.