Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys-
I want to make an aran sweater for dh and I need yarn suggestions. Brands, websites and personal experiences making an aran sweater would all be welcomed. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
You'd need a lot of yarn to make an adult sweater- so for me I'd have to really pay attention to price and would probably chose a yarn from knit picks that fit the pattern requirements.

·
Registered
4,443 Posts
In Aran sweaters, the cables and texture are the highlight. All that hand-knit work. I made the mistake of choosing a yarn that had a lot of flecks of different colors, and was a bit fuzzy. I designed this wonderful cable-n-texture vest. It was my first self-designed knit item, way back when. The cables just didn't stand out at all.

So, I'd say choose something fairly firmly and evenly twisted (not fuzzy or big-n-little). And yarn that's a uniform color helps the stitch textures show up more, but blocks of color work well with cables, too (though perhaps not really aran).

If you buy from a good yarn shop, the salesclerk should be able to help you estimate how much to buy. Or there may be web sites that will help.

If you are going to design it yourself, do a swatch! Even if you are following a pattern, do a swatch! Please, please, do a swatch. It is SO worth the time, and if you absolutely have to use that yarn again, you can always unravel it and wash it gently to get the kinks out. OK, that may have been off-topic, but I just felt the need to get it out there.

You might consider recycling yarn from a thrift store sweater. I have found some wonderful, luscious yarn by buying a sweater and unraveling it. A firmly twisted wool-cotton blend in a sort of soft oatmeal grey color was once a large man's sweater and is about to become my new poncho. There are web sites about how to do this (you have to pick the sweater carefully), and if you want more information I'll try to find them.

·
Registered
4,043 Posts
I used Briggs and Little Heritage for an aran. I recommend it, it is perfect for such a project, inexpensive too.

It is, however, hand wash only. not superwash.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts