Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I remember that this past spring a couple people posted about wanting to plant the cold-hardy Kiwi vines. Did anyone end up planting them? How are they doing?

I had been planning to get a couple next spring after our deck goes in, but was listening to a local public radio gardening show the other day, and the horticulturist they had on from our university mentioned that while they are a beautiful vine, he has only ever seen one or two vines that were really productive in our area - the rest would get a fruit or two here and there, but never more. Just wondering what the experience has been here if anyone went ahead with them...

·
Registered
110 Posts
I wasn't in on any of the previous conversations as this is the first time I have visited the MDC gardening area, but we have cold hardy kiwis. They are going like gang busters. We didn't prune them properly last year so we had no fruit but this year we have a good crop. They were planted by the previous owner of our house maybe 4-5 years ago and the vines are going everywhere! We know very little about their care so would love to hear what others know.

We are in MN, by the way.

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm in WI, so I think growing conditions would be similar. Maybe I shouldn't count them out yet. Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
110 Posts
Oh I wouldn't count them out. The previous owner of our house planted them and she was a huge advocate for them. She built a special arbor which they have covered nicely. They are a great addition to our backyard and have grown into our neighbors yard (to her delight) and formed a nice archway between our fence and her house.

We haven't enjoyed the fruit yet but I am excited by all those sweet litte grape-sized beauties hanging under the leaves...now I have to find the time to find a recipe for kiwi jam. mmmm

1 - 4 of 4 Posts