Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With my first baby I was in active labor for 2 hours, and pushed for one (though looking back it only took that long because I was fighting the pushing). People keep telling me to watch out because the next baby will come even faster... I'm not so sure about this... does anyone have any experience you could share with me here? I also hear 2nds are easier, is that really something that's predictable?

·
Registered
5,329 Posts
Yes, second births are generally faster. There are always exceptions, but that's the rule of thumb. My first birth was 5 hours of active labor and 40mn of pushing (I had an epidural). My second birth was 3.5 hours with 10mn of pushing (no epidural, so the pushing went faster).

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
my first was 8 hours, my second was 2 hours. however, if your second baby is posterior or has some other funky presentation, it could be longer than your first. but generally, yes.

·
Registered
25,064 Posts
My first was 27.3 hours from first contraction to birth; she was posterior.

My second was 9 hours from first contraction to birth; he was posterior with a deflexed head and asynclitism.

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oh wow, those are a lot faster! I'm not really sure how long my labor was from the first contraction because I was having contractions for 3 months, which were almost always 5 mins apart (they came and went, of course). I THINK that it changed into real labor about 7 hours before her birth. I remember calling my doula and telling her they were 3 mins apart and I had just gotten ragingly cranky, cried, and eated more food that I ever had in my life, and at the time was cleaning the house and trying to find the perfect e-birthday card to send to a friend. So I guess I was in labor at that time, but I was so scared I was in denial until the big one that broke the water came and I instantly went into very intense labor. See, the thing that worries me is I had a really hard time with the speed of the labor. It was so intense and afterward I just kind of looked at this baby and all I could think was "what just happened there?" It took a day or two of flashbacks and nightmares about what I'd just been through in order for my mind to work things out... and before I could look at my baby and think "hey, I know you!"

wow, 35 minutes! wow...

I'm already having dreams the baby is coming out and I'm not ready and my mf isn't here yet, or my husband isn't around... I really need to chill out!

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
My first was nearly 7 hours, including pushing. My second, well, depends on when you consider labor actually started. I basically had about 20 hours of prodromal labor and then active labor for 1 hour, including pushing. So, either a lot longer, or a lot faster... depends on how you count it.

·
Registered
11,188 Posts
I think if your first one was on the long side, you'll typically see a big reduction in the length of labor for the second one. But if your first was short, sometimes it can go either way!

My first was about 17 hours and my second was about 4 (with a good full day of primordial labor before hand).

·
Registered
9,202 Posts
My first labor was about 12 hours, my second about 14, and last about 10. They were all hbs and i didn't push. Well, with my second i did, and my midwife joked ' You are not going to get this over with faster by pushing, esp when you are trying to push between contractions".

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
My first was 25 hours, second was 11.5 hours. For our 2nd homebirth, we opted for the birthtub and it was wonderful!!

·
Registered
3,460 Posts
My first was just short of 10 hours, although I think I could have shaved 3-4 hours off that time if her positioning wasn't so funky. My second was 90 minutes and the midwife *did* miss it (I'm counting both labors from the first contraction). Best experience of my life though - it will be okay if that happens. Just be prepared for it (unlike me
).

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by love_homebirthing
My first was just short of 10 hours, although I think I could have shaved 3-4 hours off that time if her positioning wasn't so funky. My second was 90 minutes and the midwife *did* miss it (I'm counting both labors from the first contraction). Best experience of my life though - it will be okay if that happens. Just be prepared for it (unlike me
).

LOL... yeah, the first HB I had no one mentioned a home birth kit until after the baby was out! This time I plan to be more prepared. If I'm at home I'm confident that dh can catch, I just don't want to do it myself, esp in the car! I know it's happened, just want to avoid it happening to me. Did you catch by yourself? I can't imagine being able to do that. It burned so bad the first time I had my husband by the neck, squeezing and was screaming like I've never screamed before... but a lot of that was probably because I was scared and tense.

·
Registered
3,460 Posts
My dh actually caught her - she was a waterbirth and with all the bouyancy I just didn't feel like I could (I had wanted to). I had the birth kit ready, etc. but dh never took the time to know where any of that stuff was plus neither of us had actually considered the possibility that the birth would happen unattended, so we simply weren't prepared psychologically for that. The result was my dh running around like a chicken with his head cut off, following orders from me. At the time I didn't think much of it, but looking back I believe I probably was never able to get out of my logical brain and go all primal for the birth. I was just too in control (in the "do this, do that" sense - not over my body). So that's kind of a bummer. But the experience was still awesome and I actually hope to have another UC this time around. Even if the mw makes it on time she's agreed to stay in another room unless called so I guess unless there's some complication (which I'd want her at anyway) we will have a UC after all. My birth story is here if you're interested.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nikel1979
My first was about 26 hours from first contraction to birth. If I don't count the prodomal labor, my second was about 3.5 hours from first contraction to birth.
Ditto! This was my experience as well. My 1st labor was painful & long. 2nd labor was so fast I hardly even realized I was actually IN labor

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
My first was 21 hours, about 25 mins of pushing, my second was 12 hours + but my body was pushng for quite some time and pushing past a lip. I loved birthing my babes

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.