Mothering Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Or is it just my cheap, Ebay-purchased 16" circs. I feel like there's not enough needle in my hand, in other words that the cord makes up most of the 16". Knitting with them makes my hands cramp up. I'd like to purchase some new needles from KnitPicks in just the sizes I use most but I'm scared that this is just how 16" circs are. Any experience??

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
I haven't tried the knitpicks 16" circs, because I use magic loop for everything, but I always found the bamboo (Clover) 16" needles to be a bit stubby. I did get kind of used to them, but part of the reason I love ML is that I can avoid short needles. I suppose they have to be that way because the cable would otherwise be too short and then the needle wouldn't be circular enough?

·
Premium Member
14,677 Posts
They definitely vary.

On my interchangeable sets, my Boyes are 4.5 inches long (before the bend), and my Knitpicks are 5 inches long.

I don't have any of the larger Knitpicks, but I know for the Larger Boyes, the needles are so short they hurt to knit with for very long. But they are pointed at both ends, so the wide portion is actually very short.

My bamboo fixed are about 5.5 inches long.

·
Premium Member
3,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3boobykins View Post
I haven't tried the knitpicks 16" circs, because I use magic loop for everything, but I always found the bamboo (Clover) 16" needles to be a bit stubby. I did get kind of used to them, but part of the reason I love ML is that I can avoid short needles. I suppose they have to be that way because the cable would otherwise be too short and then the needle wouldn't be circular enough?
I am trying to find the magic loop love. More often than not, I'd rather not fiddle and just knit! But my hands hurt enough that I did switch to magic loop for a couple of rows. But it's true . . . I guess they do have to be relatively short. Mine are a stingy 3" long.
:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Think of Winter View Post
They probably do vary. I have several brands, but I haven't noticed that they're too short. You could ask how long they are at Knit Picks, and see if they're longer than yours.

Quote:

Originally Posted by cristeen View Post
They definitely vary.

On my interchangeable sets, my Boyes are 4.5 inches long (before the bend), and my Knitpicks are 5 inches long.

I don't have any of the larger Knitpicks, but I know for the Larger Boyes, the needles are so short they hurt to knit with for very long. But they are pointed at both ends, so the wide portion is actually very short.

My bamboo fixed are about 5.5 inches long.
See . . . I really do think mine are too short. Only 3" long, they are. Cristeen, your bamboo 16" fixed are 5.5" long? Do you mind telling me the brand??

Thanks all!

·
Premium Member
14,677 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by rootzdawta View Post
See . . . I really do think mine are too short. Only 3" long, they are. Cristeen, your bamboo 16" fixed are 5.5" long? Do you mind telling me the brand??
Actually, it looks like I measured the wrong ones last night, sorry. The 23" are 5.5" long. The 16" are 4" long. But I've never felt the 4" was too short (size 8). I couldn't work with 3" at all.

I think they're Clover, but they don't actually have any markings on them, so I'm not positive. But, according to the website of the LYS, it's Clover they carry, and since that's where I bought them, I'm guessing.

I checked Knitpicks website, and the 16 inch fixed circulars have 3 3/8 inch needles. They don't have a 16 inch cable for the interchangeables.

What size needle are you using?

·
Registered
3,346 Posts
I just measured my addi's and they are 3 1/2".

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.