Mothering Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello! I'm shopping for a carrier for my DH and I should be able to wear it as well, right?

So I'd like to get him an ergo or a beco. I've heard that ergos don't work all that well for petite mamas; that it is difficult to tighten them snug enough for a comfortable wear... is this true with becos?

If this is the case then I'll just get another mei tai
the one I have now has a real short waste strap so it doesn't fit around dh's belly...

·
Registered
3,805 Posts
I'm 5'0", and I can use an Ergo. I just wear the waist belt around the tops of my hips, and its comfortable that way. Dh is 5' 11" and he loves the Ergo.

I've tried the Beco, and I can't really say that it has any advantage over the Ergo, other than its lighter in weight.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ellp View Post
I'm 5'0", and I can use an Ergo. I just wear the waist belt around the tops of my hips, and its comfortable that way. Dh is 5' 11" and he loves the Ergo.
Same here!

·
Registered
451 Posts
Hmmm... wish I could help you. I'm 5'10" and I love my Beco. My semi-plump, but shorter 5'2" cousin used it with her 3 yr old for a bit though, and didn't seem to have any problems getting it adjusted correctly. I know that I have the waist belt pretty far out - i.e. it would go a LOT smaller. Same with the shoulder straps, and chest strap.

·
Registered
250 Posts
FWIW, I'm 5'3" and have a bit of extra "fluff", and I find that I have to tighten the shoulder straps of the Ergo as far as they go in order to get them tight enough. I'm also fairly short-waisted, too, so that may have something to do with it. I also and to like dd to be held very snugly against my back, so I am probably over tightening to compensate for the way the Ergo feels.

In the Beco, even I have several inches of tightening room left, once I get it down to where I like it.

They're both great carriers, though, so I don't think you'll go wrong with either.

·
Registered
4,897 Posts
I'm 5 feet tall, wear a size 12 petite, and I love my Beco. I haven't tried an Ergo to compare it too, but just thought I'd add my 2 cents that the Beco is the single best thing I've bought for my very attached babe!

Ooh - AND, my dad (6 feet tall, about 200 pounds) was able to wear it comfortably, too - in fact, she fell asleep on his back!
)

·
Registered
380 Posts
I was searching for an Ergo before I bought my Beco. I too had heard the Ergo wasn't the best for the petite mommas, especially if you were short waisted too.
So I bought a Beco and I am loving it SO much!! It was the best decision I made. With the Beco, you can wear it on your hips as well for a better fit.
I had found that my son was sitting on the waist part and it was pulling it out, but when I talked with some Beco "pros,"
: they said to sit it lower so it was on my hips and it made a big difference!

With either one you go for, I hope you love it!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.