Mothering Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So this is my first week of CD'ing and during the day its fine, Im changing them every 1.5 hrs or so..at night I dont wake them to change them so I let them sleep..they sleep about 11 hrs at anight.

I have tried a few combos and although we havent had leaks they seem more cranky at night and get up more than they used to. Twice now I have just taken off the CD and put on a 'sposie and they stopped crying..perhaps a coincidence but I dont know.
I dont think its cause they were wet, I think its b/c they were hot.

Last night for instance I had on a LIz's cloth Nighty Noodle and a Cuddlewrap fleece wrap over it..it was pretty bulky but I thought OK??
anyway Max wasnt a happy camper at all. AFter 2 hrs of him fussing and crying I decided to pull off the CD and he stopped crying pretty much and went to sleep mins later! now im worried that they are overheating or something?

I had maddie in just a Liz's cloth AIO and she was fine. She was VERY wet when I got her this AM but not thru the whole dipe which is good.

I guess I am wondering if this makes them even hotter than a disposable?? or maybe I have a bad system ? I dont know! My DS is a heavy wetter , Id say my DD is moderate..

Thanks for an advice!
Sam

·
Registered
5,329 Posts
They're warm, I'm sure. But I don't think they're MORE hot than a non-breathable plastic diaper. A fleece cover at least allows airflow.

Are you using fleece liners, or do your dipes have fleece interiors? It could be that they're not used to feeling wetness next to their skin. Fleece would really help with keeping them feeling dry at night.

I've also found that there's an adjustment period with CDs. I didn't switch my baby until he was 12 months old, and it took about a week for both of us to get used to it.

You're doing a great thing for your kidlets!

·
Registered
323 Posts
Thankfully my son took to cloth diapering very well at 3 months of age, and he slept great in a bulky diaper, even if it got real wet.

BUT, unfortunatly my daughter is the same as your son. She is great during the day, but she can't get comfy at night with a bulky diaper on. I've tried everything on her and just can't find a system that will work. I think it's the bulk for her. Now that she sleeps on her tummy she just can't get comfy with a bulky diaper on....and I haven't been able to find a nice thin one. So, we've been using sposies at night too. But, I keep trying cloth on her to see if she'll be happy again.

Last night I put a Sandy's with a doubler on her with an airflow wrap. About as trim as I can get at night, safely. :LOL She tossed and turned until around midnight when I fed her and changed her into a sposie...then she slept the rest of the night.

I'd just keep trying different things and see if he can get used to it. If he can't don't fret. Wearing sposies part-time is much better than wearing them full time. I buy one large package of Tushies about every 2 months or so....I used to buy one a week!

·
Registered
18,562 Posts
I think it depends on what the material in the diaper and cover are made of, and what you have on over it. A very trim dipe for nighttime would be FuzziBunz or Happy Heiny.

When my dd wears sposies the crotch area seems to be okay as far as coolness but the area up near the waistband is always wet with her sweat. I can't imagine that's comfortable at all!
Never had that happen with cloth.

Darshani

·
Registered
4,372 Posts
Cloth is much cooler than disposies imo. Esp if you use a very breathable cover made of fleece or wool. There have been studies showing a possible connection between disposible diapers and male infertility b/c the disposies keeps the scrotum at a temp that is too warm for extended periods of time.

I am sure that a nighttime diaper can get warm, but I still think it would be cooler than a disposie. Your little guy may not like the bulk... have you thought about switching to something trimmer at night? Pocket dipes w/ hemp inserts are pretty trim imo, and the fleece lining will help them stay dry.

HTH~

·
Registered
930 Posts
ITA that cloth is cooler than disposables, because of the airflow issue. There is no breathabilty at all with disposables. I would definitely try a Happy Heinys or a Fuzzi Bunz for nighttime, with 2 Joey Bunz inserts, or the equivalent. We have NEVER had a leak with FBz and 2 JBz at night and they really are trim.

XOXO

·
Registered
150 Posts
This post and a similar post on the board make me think that maybe my son's recent sleep difficulties may be swtiching to cloth. I never considered that before. I thought he was teething. Since switching to cloth, he has stopped peeing at night at all. His diaper is dry in the morning. He has been having difficulty both falling asleep and staying asleep. I guess tonight I'll try a sposie and see if that works. I hate to use them but if it feels so awful to him that it's keeping him awake at night am I really doing the right thing by continuing to use cloth on him at night if he's miserable? He's 20 months old and we just switched to cloth about a month ago. I can't remember exactly when the sleep difficulties started. When we first started CDing we used a FB at night with two JBs. It did work great but I wanted a more natural fiber; so, we switched an Aristocrat with either a SP with a JB or a FF sleeptight. Then he stopped wetting at night; so, I haven't been using the Aristocrat. I think we're going to try a sposie tonight and see if that helps. Thanks for bringing this issue up.
:

Jelaine

·
Registered
464 Posts
I recall that when we were using wool covers at night that the diaper felt cold to me in the am and i always wondered why wearing a cold wet dipe never bothered Ariel.

BTW, we use FB w/2 JB for trimness at night now.

·
Registered
4,013 Posts
I think disposables are definitely hotter!! My baby was in disposies for a few days this week since she had awful, AWFUL diarrhea and vomiting and I didnt want it all over my wool covers! LOL

Anyway, Along the waistband on the diaper it was kinda wet, and I thought she peed, but it was just sweat. They felt much hotter than when she is in cloth.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Well Im going to go out on a limb here and disagree with the general concensus. I think cloth would be way hotter!

All in ones and pockets, that arent too bulky and have enough room at the legs to let air in I think would be OKish, but a thick prefold inside a PUL cover? I think that would be hot. Not to mention thick terry flats with covers like we have here.

And try as I may, I simply cant get my head around wool. I know wool breathes and that its meant to be cool in summer, warm in winter, in all sorts of uses, not just diaper covers. But I find it too hot to wear even in the middle of winter, and we had a wool doona (what you guys would call a duvet) and had to give it away, it was so stinking hot - although it was advertised "warm in winter, cool in summer". My boys couldnt wear wool clothing as it made their eczema worse and they would constantly complain about how uncomfortable it was.

But you cant really know unless you can ask your child. My mind tells me a thin slip of paper would be cooler to wear but that's my biased opinion. My son showed a definite preference for his Cuddlebums all in ones, which were a nice flanelette, loose fitting nappy. When he could talk, he asked for those.

·
Registered
11,527 Posts
Ds hasn't worn a sposie in quite a while and I am definately not going to put one on for the sake of experiment. But we have almost cut the use of PUL totally out in favor of one wool cover and a handful of windpro covers. I can tell you for sure that a dipe covers in wool or fleece is definately cooler than a PUL dipe. I also use mostly hemp to minimize bulk. Night seems to be the biggest hurdle for moms just starting out on cloth diapering, I know it was for me when I started out. A lot of cloth diapering moms still do use sposies for night and that is okay. Cloth diapering really isn't an all or nothing deal. It all depends on what you think works and is best for your baby.

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
Temperature was one of the major reasons I was happy I switched to cloth.

In the first couple of months using sposies, Declan's little danglies would be hanging -very- low at diaper changing time. This doesn't happen nearly as much with a prefold and a cover (we use PUL or nylon).

I think it's easier to tell the difference in warm factor with a boy. My boy was way warmer in disposables.

The same stuff doesn't work for all babies and I have to ditto Trish 100% when she says, "A lot of cloth diapering moms still do use sposies for night and that is okay. Cloth diapering really isn't an all or nothing deal. It all depends on what you think works and is best for your baby."

1 - 13 of 13 Posts